C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is this L88 real? Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 09:43 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Dave McDufford
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaside63
In reality, it's only a Moral commitment.

Is there truly a legal binding contract, signed and witnessed, from EBAY auctions?

Has there been a case where litigation proved the legal commitment?

And if it did, would any judgement be for more than the EBAY costs of running the "auction" ?
You are wrong, a completed auction on Ebay is a legally binding contract, period. However, the cost of making someone perform under that legally binding contract may not be worth the effort.

Dave
Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MosportGreen66
I apologizes! My above statement saying that "GM only started with the COPO Cars in 1969." is false. There were around 50 1968 COPO Novas built. There where 4 1966 Corvette COPO's, because of the color combo's. Prier to 1966 Police Cars etc where known as COPO's. Just because they where mass produced and the Central Office placed the order for them... no performance/ color differences.

Yep- me too, I checked Nolan Adams book after I wrote that and you are right, there were COPO cars back into the 50's....
Old 10-16-2005, 12:05 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The COPO Group was a small office within the Chevrolet Sales Department, has been around since the early 50's, and 99.999% of their activity has always related to trucks, chassis-cabs, police cars, taxis, and school bus chassis. Although the word "COPO" is usually related to performance cars by enthusiasts, that was a VERY tiny and infrequent piece of their work.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave McDufford
You are wrong, a completed auction on Ebay is a legally binding contract, period. However, the cost of making someone perform under that legally binding contract may not be worth the effort.

Dave
OOPS !!!!

Last edited by Seaside63; 10-16-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There are HUNDREDS of fake/clone/built-up/fraudulent and mis-represented cars listed every single day on eBay, and lots of people who don't do their homework get taken every day buying them; "buyer beware" is always the order of the day. It's a jungle out there

This morning I sent the seller the two paragraphs below in an email:

How do you respond to this statement which is on a public forum: Quote -from what i hear and this is from a good source. That car came from CT. around 1989. It was owned by a junk yard owner that had to go away on a federal vacation. It was a white small block coupe that he had put the big tank parts in. It was on a 70's frame when he sold it to a well know corvette dealer . They sat on it a few years then sold it as a project. Now it's a big tank L88 - end quote.

There is enough of an information trail to make a good case that the car is not a factory L88 NO3. You emphatically claim and have gone to great lengths to say it is an authenic GM factory produced 1 of 1 L88 NO3 car. Do you not feel you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit?

This was his response:

car is sold as-is Thanks for your concern

I think that says it all. My bet is that the bill of sale will be well crafted by an attorney so that the seller cannot be held liable for ANYTHING period-- in about 1000 words. That will take care of the so-called binding ebay contract. Until something is signed where the buyer has accepted the terms of the sale from the seller, the ebay deal is pretty much baseless. The only damages would be the ebay fees-- which wouldn't be worth the cost to pursue. Instead the seller would use the threat of the ebay contract to pressure the buyer to follow through with the purchase. And with this trail of what can only be called deceit by the seller, the buyer could easily justify backing out of the ebay deal...but before he signs a bill of sale and takes possession. Then he is pretty much stuck - or must find a darn good attorney.

Last edited by Midyrman; 10-16-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 276 Likes on 162 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...wonder how it'll do at Bloomington next year
Old 10-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midyrman
My bet is that the bill of sale will be well crafted by an attorney so that the seller cannot be held liable for ANYTHING period-- in about 1000 words.
I don't know if it's possible to craft a bill of sale that would absolve him of liability in a fraud case. If it's a clear case of fraud, the seller will be in for it, if the car is bought by someone with any knowledge about Corvettes.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:15 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It makes me sick to think that people actually horribly misrepresent cars (like this one) claim its dead original and then completely screw over the inexperienced buyer.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:59 PM
A96LT4
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$850,704 on eBay!

Last edited by A96LT4; 10-17-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this L88 real? Anyone know?