C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

WTB - '66 coupe.. advice needed [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:52 AM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd pay 25k for it... but I'm a little concerned about the rust issues.

In fact, I'm amazed at how rusted out some of these East coast cars are.

Out here in California... we don't have rust.... we don't see rust... we don't deal with rust. Everything is solid... even in 40 year old cars!

I've bought a lot of em.... and I won't buy anything that's not from California, Nevada, or Arizona.

Too much rust out there on the East coast..... WATCH OUT!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:49 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Market is softer these days>

Punt

25K down and a loan for another $15K to $20K will get you a nearly comlete car with no major issues.

more cost and time effective
Old 07-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

If you don't buy it for that price, let me know where it is. As long as it passes the inspections noted above, thats a good price for these days.

Do a search for "Bird Cage" in this forum and you will be able to know what to look for and how to find it. I would be less concerned with the frame than the cage.

If you need help with the inspection, let me know.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,648 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Yeah - I think the leather might clean up with some work, at least for a driver. I don't see any cuts and they are not broken down. I would check the headlight motors, missing hardware like window winders, windshield wipers, bumper condition, lights (grounding problems), look at the wiring harness where you can for Bubba work, get the car on a lift, etc. All can start to add to the bill to get it in good driver shape. Subtact what you can find that needs attention or repair (not the paint but I assume any car like this will need a couple thousand in work) from the $25K and if he accepts, it appears to be a decent buy.

Dan
Old 07-09-2006, 08:06 AM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you bought it for $25K and never got around to fixing it up, you could still get your money back plus. The supply of C2's gets smaller all the time.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

I think we're all missing the obvious. You are buying another project for you and your father to work on? This seems to be the perfect project and 25k is not that much expense, considering if you had to get out from under it, you could.

The point is, when your father is gone, will you look back and kick yourself for not buying that 66 for the both of you to enjoy another bonding experience?

How many of us out there wish we could complete a restoration project on a mid-year vette with our father?

If you have the means, pull the trigger and bond with your pops. You never know what tomorrow brings...capre diem!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:10 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
I think we're all missing the obvious. You are buying another project for you and your father to work on? This seems to be the perfect project and 25k is not that much expense, considering if you had to get out from under it, you could.

The point is, when your father is gone, will you look back and kick yourself for not buying that 66 for the both of you to enjoy another bonding experience?

How many of us out there wish we could complete a restoration project on a mid-year vette with our father?

If you have the means, pull the trigger and bond with your pops. You never know what tomorrow brings...capre diem!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:50 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your right on the money bluestreak! Good price if no major rust...lock and load...buy it
Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Going for a second look tomorrow and bringing the 'ole man with, probly take it out for a test drive as well...

Did some birdcage searching on this forum, and found that its quite easy to pull the glove box out to check for rot... problem is, I dont want to start asking the guy to do it. How else to tell? I figure through the door hinge holes you can get a good view, and see if I can pull the kick panels out, or at least check behind them. Anywhere else thats easy to spot?

Also, where else are these cars prone to rot, other than infront of the rear wheels? (thats been patched already).

I also need to check the headlight functionality, lights, wipers, and see for any obvious bubba electrical work.

Anything I'm forgetting to check?

Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Sibes67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Radio delete fairly rare in a '66(U69 is RPO for AM/FM radio). Blackbook says 26,363 were produced with U69 out of a total run of 9,958 coupes and 17,762 convertibles--total of 27,720. So, 1,357 came without radios. Maybe meaningless, but thought I'd suggest it.
Really looks like a great project, especially since your Pop "found it". Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Sombrero - above the rear end. Radiator support. You can also take a tape measure and measure each side for a quick frame warp check. Measure center to center of each wheel passenger side. Then the same for the driver side. Should be the same, else warped frame.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:30 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

I wish I could.

Sounds like a fair price to me, hingeing on the fact that the frame and birdcage are sound.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you got her. I would offer $20 but willing to go the $25 if she runs. I agree w/many of the guys you could clean this car up drive it for a few summers and get $25 to $30K for it. I'm taking a razor to a 66 coupe right now & the paint is coming off like hair on a Husky in the summer. Now you can pay $10k ot $12k for a paint job but who would?? I should have this coupe painted & all new emblems for under $5000. I painted my 79 & replaced all emblems for $4500.

Good luck w/in.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRags
Going for a second look tomorrow and bringing the 'ole man with, probly take it out for a test drive as well...

Did some birdcage searching on this forum, and found that its quite easy to pull the glove box out to check for rot... problem is, I dont want to start asking the guy to do it. How else to tell? I figure through the door hinge holes you can get a good view, and see if I can pull the kick panels out, or at least check behind them. Anywhere else thats easy to spot?

Also, where else are these cars prone to rot, other than infront of the rear wheels? (thats been patched already).

I also need to check the headlight functionality, lights, wipers, and see for any obvious bubba electrical work.

Anything I'm forgetting to check?

pulling the glove box out is a 8-9 screws, if you have a battery screw driver you can wiz it out in under 30 secs (be careful with the lead to the glove box light, it is a hot), you can also get a look at the bottom windshield rail while in there.

For 25k and a car you are going to be restoring, I would be focusing on show stoppers like the b-cage, the frame, a good running engine, a VIN tag being present, clear title, no fender flares or glassed over headlights or incorrect for the model year body parts, etc. If all of that checks out, I'd be a buyer at $25k. But, as was pointed out, if the goal was simply to get the car to a restored state (ignoring the journey with your father) you will still do better ($-wise) buy buying one that was done already - money in is not money out.

And like Subfixer said, if you want I could run over to the car with you on the weekend, assuming it is in Meriden or even my direction.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ctjackster
pulling the glove box out is a 8-9 screws, if you have a battery screw driver you can wiz it out in under 30 secs (be careful with the lead to the glove box light, it is a hot), you can also get a look at the bottom windshield rail while in there.

For 25k and a car you are going to be restoring, I would be focusing on show stoppers like the b-cage, the frame, a good running engine, a VIN tag being present, clear title, no fender flares or glassed over headlights or incorrect for the model year body parts, etc. If all of that checks out, I'd be a buyer at $25k. But, as was pointed out, if the goal was simply to get the car to a restored state (ignoring the journey with your father) you will still do better ($-wise) buy buying one that was done already - money in is not money out.

And like Subfixer said, if you want I could run over to the car with you on the weekend, assuming it is in Meriden or even my direction.
The car is in Westbrook

I'm still very interested in it...

Sibes67.. interesting figures, thanks.. and the car definatley has the radio delete

*if* we got it, I'd like to do a little work to make it reliable and drive it around, then eventually go full frame off down the road.

Since he's asking $25k o.b.o. who knows, maybe we can get him down to $21k-$22k. We'll be taking the car out for a ride tonight as long as the rain holds out. He says it runs great, he takes it to work when its nice out.... and he seems to be a straight shooter.. but then again, who knows.

thanks again for all the input
Old 07-11-2006, 12:28 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Westbrook - gettin closer to Paul! (Subfixer).

Still, I could hop on the bike and blast up there, or even take the 65 up there, if you wanted a second set of C2 eyes on it.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRags
The car is in Westbrook

I'm still very interested in it...

Sibes67.. interesting figures, thanks.. and the car definatley has the radio delete

*if* we got it, I'd like to do a little work to make it reliable and drive it around, then eventually go full frame off down the road.

Since he's asking $25k o.b.o. who knows, maybe we can get him down to $21k-$22k. We'll be taking the car out for a ride tonight as long as the rain holds out. He says it runs great, he takes it to work when its nice out.... and he seems to be a straight shooter.. but then again, who knows.

thanks again for all the input
I hate to ruin your day but. I bought that car this past sunday at the Moroso show. I just saw this post and thought I'd tell you so you don't drive to the guys house for nothing. The car dose run good. And is very solid. No rust in the cage at all. I drove it to work today. Sorry. I made an offer and he took it. Weird car though. Why would someone get leather seats and no other options not even a radio. Car is a 300 HP base car.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB - '66 coupe.. advice needed [PICS]

Old 07-11-2006, 03:21 PM
ratpack1968
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surpise the car sold. Can't snooze on cars like this - particularly for $25k. I would have bought it on the spot.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by ratpack1968
No surpise the car sold. Can't snooze on cars like this - particularly for $25k. I would have bought it on the spot.
You are so correct. It still amazes me how people who OWN C-2's have no knowledge what so ever on the market but still pass along advice that this car was not worth 25K.

Based on the picture alone all I would need to do was look at the frame and stick my head under the dash and write a check. Who cares if it runs.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
You are so correct. It still amazes me how people who OWN C-2's have no knowledge what so ever on the market but still pass along advice that this car was not worth 25K.

Based on the picture alone all I would need to do was look at the frame and stick my head under the dash and write a check. Who cares if it runs.
It's funny you said that. Thats just what I did. The guy asked me if I wanted to hear the car run and take it for a ride. I said I don't need to hear it run or drive it.I crawled under the car and under the dash on both sides. I also pulled the kick panels out of the way. The car is so decent I just didn't care. I only look at cars one time. I buy it on the spot or don't. I don't know if I want to keep this car or not. I need another Corvette like a hole in my head. This makes 6. But I hate to let go of a car that has all it's orig. body panels.

Quick Reply: WTB - '66 coupe.. advice needed [PICS]