C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wow what a difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,024 Likes on 4,827 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Wow what a difference

Last weekend dad and I swapped out the side exhaust on the 67 convertible for the original style under car exhaust. That made a world of difference and I think it made the car a more enjoyable. You can hear the radio going down the road and hear your self think.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Last weekend dad and I swapped out the side exhaust on the 67 convertible for the original style under car exhaust. That made a world of difference and I think it made the car a more enjoyable. You can hear the radio going down the road and hear your self think.
Hummmm, hear yourself think, now that might be dangerous for me. But I agree, side exhaust is really loud. I have the 2 1/2" and thinking of a way to muffle it just a little. Sounds kind of like a truck with no mufflers. I like the deep mellow sound instead. But I love the looks of side pipes so they will stay.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Hummmm, hear yourself think, now that might be dangerous for me. But I agree, side exhaust is really loud. I have the 2 1/2" and thinking of a way to muffle it just a little. Sounds kind of like a truck with no mufflers. I like the deep mellow sound instead. But I love the looks of side pipes so they will stay.
I too like they way they look and sound when sitting still. but going anywhere over 5 miles was gitting anyoing
Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Well you could always leave the side pipes on, but run the exhaust under the Vette with a "standard" exhaust system.

I am sure it probably has been done before!

Back in the 60's I swapped drives in a 66 coupe with side pipes (I had a 66 Convert at the time with the "standard" undercar exhaust). The side piped coupe reminded me of being in a bass drum (and a very loud one at that). Really appreciated my Vert (with the under car exhausts) after that.

Plasticman
Old 05-29-2007, 05:12 PM
MarvBarrish
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

There definitly is a trade off on the looks of the side pipes versus all that NOISE! Everytime I've mentioned it here I've been poked about getting old. I like quality time in my car and not being able to hear myself think just doesn't cut it for me, anymore so under car exhaust is the only way for me. Regards, Marv
Old 05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Keith -

Please take your skirt off.

Kind regards,

Jack
Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Dad's '66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I listen to the radio, and think, while driving my daily driver.

When driving the Corvette, I don't need a radio, and I try not to think too much.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

After running a Diesel powered boat for a living I can't hear undercar exhaust anyway! Al W.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ctjackster
Keith -

Please take your skirt off.

Kind regards,

Jack
I know sometimes I'm slow but
Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just need a radio upgrade ! I'm going the other way on mine, but keeping the parts to restore it, just in case. I did see a thread where someone said stuffing several stainless steel scrubber type pads in the pipse so far and then using a screw to hold them in place. Have to search for that thread, might help !
Old 05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

What comes out of sidepipes isn't NOISE; it's music. Poke. Poke.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

you said:

I said:

"take your skirt off"

(that's my [warped] way of saying "quit being such a girl")

get it?

and, I must point out that, aside from getting on it from a stop, I can have a pleasant conversation at 40 mph, top down, or even 60 mph - and can certainly hear the radio. It's the aggressive rowing through the gears, bouncing it up to 6000 stuff that gets kinda musical
Old 05-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
lrj975
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

You can hear the radio going down the road
Me too, I don't understand what's so important about hearing the radio. I had my original radio rebuilt with correct speaker, I can hear the radio fine at half volume at 55mph with top down . But why would I want to? I turn the radio on for 5 minutes, just because I can, then turn it off. Do I really need to hear Hotel California for the 5000th time? Nothing on radio worth listening to compared to the sound of an L79 with sidepipes.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the side pipes off and really love the car now. I think side pipes are dangerous to your hearing and anti-social on crowded roads. Akin to playing rap music thru 4 foot speakers.

As to the guy with the skirt comment ; he makes the point.

JMHO
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine will have under car exhaust --i'm already deaf in one ear so am real protective of the other ear--to each his own tho --Glenn
Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I know sometimes I'm slow but
Keith,

Screw them that call you a girlie man! I'll bet your car runs better to boot with the undercar exhaust! Side exhaust looks good sitting still, but undercar exhaust is my choice as well. Some of these guys have never moved past their highschool phase, or they are compensating for other shortcommings with their side exhaust.

In all seriousness, I have no desire to own a sidepipe car again if it is a car that I am going to drive a lot. I can't understand the desire to have an exhaust system that is loud as hell, and does not run as good as a stock undercar system. I have owned sidepipe cars before, but no more for me, thanks!

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To Wow what a difference

Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Tom E.
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I must be a little different...I must have BOTH! Driving down the road with the looks & sound of kick a** sidepipes in the coolest car of the era, combined with the sound of 60's & 70's music blaring! What's better than that?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my side pipes! With 3:08 gears, it's not that bad at highway speeds, but from light to light it's just right!

Last edited by Frankenvette 63; 05-29-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Wow what a difference