C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 327/365 vs. 427/390

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 251 Likes on 174 Posts

On the drag strip will be different than on the street.

What you feel will be different than what you get.

What excites you will be different than what is faster.

Torque is what slams you in the seat and holds you there. That is excitement to most. The 390 hp has the torque that the 327 doesn't have to do just that.

However, the 390 will run out of wind and end up with a slower quarter mile. On the street, you probably never get a quarter mile distance, being light to light.

If you want to impress someone with the $5 bill on the dash sort of take off, go with the big block. If you want to beat someone, then the 365 hp is probably the ticket.

The 390 hp will be more fun in regular street driving because the torque makes leaving stops effortless, shifting precision is required less, and so on.

Before you decided, find someone who has each, and go for a ride.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
On the drag strip will be different than on the street.

What you feel will be different than what you get.

What excites you will be different than what is faster.

Torque is what slams you in the seat and holds you there. That is excitement to most. The 390 hp has the torque that the 327 doesn't have to do just that.

However, the 390 will run out of wind and end up with a slower quarter mile. On the street, you probably never get a quarter mile distance, being light to light.

If you want to impress someone with the $5 bill on the dash sort of take off, go with the big block. If you want to beat someone, then the 365 hp is probably the ticket.

The 390 hp will be more fun in regular street driving because the torque makes leaving stops effortless, shifting precision is required less, and so on.

Before you decided, find someone who has each, and go for a ride.

You had a good essay going until the last sentence. Don't go for a ride. Line 'em up!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:18 PM
blubu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bo Laws

AnY ONE GOT A PICTURE OF Bo Laws 67 corvette in action?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blubu

http://www.lakelandraceway.com/image...s_champion.jpg
Old 12-24-2007, 12:40 AM
blubu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx I have looked for a pic of that car for some time.
I seen it run once with the front hoops hanging, The floorboard behind seats could be removed so you could change rear ends from the top in the staging lanes. They also had the clips removed from stub shafts. So they could be changed easily.Since it was a drag car with no corners it worked well. Nice car. I wonder where it ended up??

Last edited by blubu; 12-24-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:21 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 550 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
You might want to start a new thread. There's some here that would argue the point.
I remember years ago (60's) an early Ford Ranchero was running particularly strong at a local drag strip. The engine in that thing was a real screamer! .. The Ford guys in the stands were all ***** and giggles watching the show.

At some point the Ranchero pulled into the pits...........the hood was popped...................but........what 's this?................. a SB Chevy under the hood!! ... .. Things got a little quiet in the Ford camp, after that!. .. ..
Old 12-24-2007, 07:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

That's a cute story even though I've heard at least a dozen variations of it over the years.

One night in 1964, I pulled into a drive in restaurant, next town over. I parked next to this '58 Vette that sounded particularly nasty. He was entertaining his friends with tales of his racing successes. I was driving a '61 Falcon. It sounded somewhat like the choke was stuck. Those guys were hee hawing about the 13" cheater slicks on the back of the Falcon. They were having a big time at my expense. He was running a 327 with a big intake, headers. You know the drill.

Eventually, we pulled out on the road with his cast of thousands cheering him on. The Vette got a slight jump due to traction and then it was all over with but the shoutin'. The Falcon came by him so fast by the middle of second gear, the Vette took the first road to the left and disappeared. We went back to the drive-in and it was empty!

Ah yes, Ford vs Chevy. That's sparked more bench racing sessions over the years than wold be possible to count.

Originally Posted by mrg
I remember years ago (60's) an early Ford Ranchero was running particularly strong at a local drag strip. The engine in that thing was a real screamer! .. The Ford guys in the stands were all ***** and giggles watching the show.

At some point the Ranchero pulled into the pits...........the hood was popped...................but........what 's this?................. a SB Chevy under the hood!! ... .. Things got a little quiet in the Ford camp, after that!. .. ..

Last edited by MikeM; 12-24-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Lakelander
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by blubu

Another one

Last edited by Lakelander; 07-29-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:58 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

On the strip, giant killer Grumpy Jenkins with his small blocks, first in Novas and later in Vegas.

On the street, L.A. Street Racers president Big Willie Robinson and his small block C1 and C2. To get a race with a hemi, he eventually had to put his wife Tomika behind the wheel. Undefeated and made a good living with the Corvettes. Chrysler finally had to GIVE him a Charger Daytona to stop getting beaten by those small block Chevys.

Quick Reply: 65 327/365 vs. 427/390