C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

cam lobe got wiped out

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

My engine builder talked me into the roller set up for my 388 in my 57 and after reading all the post here I'm sure glad I listened (for a change). Cost a little more up front but the longevity and peace of mind it well worth it...
Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM
6coupe4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just adding my 2 cents.

I had my engine rebuilt by a professional and I did the break-in myself. Upon the initial start-up, I ran it at 1500 - 2000 rpm for about 1/2 hour.
Everything seemed OK. After a few times running the engine I noticed a very slight tapping noise. The engine seemed to run ok. I called my rebuilder and he came to my house and listened. As you would know it NO NOISE was heard. It kept bothering me so I removed the intake and pulled the lifters and found 1 lifter had not been rotating within its bore and was pretty well worn down. I called the rebuilder and he told me to remove the cam. He came to my garage with a new cam and all new lifters. I went through the break-in procedure again, and everything was ok. The rebuilder couldn't explain why it happened. I was glad he was willing to come to me rather than having to pull the engine out again.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 6coupe4
I called the rebuilder and he told me to remove the cam. He came to my garage with a new cam and all new lifters.
That's impressive.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Default Oil may be the culprit

I am no expert but thought it might be helpful to relate my experience. When I took my recently bought '65 with 327/365 hp engine to a local well-recommended Corvette mechanic for a major tune-up, he asked me what oil I put in it. I told him that within a few days of receiving the car, I took it to a Kwik Kar lube store and had the oil and filter element replaced. He again asked me: "what oil?". I then told him that I had asked for 20W-50W Penzoil, but they did not have it, so I allowed them to fill it with 10W30 Penzoil. He became excitable and told me that he has seen cam lobe failure in the past year due to the use of this modern oil. He told me that nearly all the oil sold today does not have the zinc and phosphorus that the old oil had, this being due to new EPA requirements. I had him change the oil and filter. He only uses Shell "Rotella T" oil. This oil, supposedly, is designed for diesel engines and is most like the original mid-60's style oil.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkakirby
I am no expert but thought it might be helpful to relate my experience. When I took my recently bought '65 with 327/365 hp engine to a local well-recommended Corvette mechanic for a major tune-up, he asked me what oil I put in it. I told him that within a few days of receiving the car, I took it to a Kwik Kar lube store and had the oil and filter element replaced. He again asked me: "what oil?". I then told him that I had asked for 20W-50W Penzoil, but they did not have it, so I allowed them to fill it with 10W30 Penzoil. He became excitable and told me that he has seen cam lobe failure in the past year due to the use of this modern oil. He told me that nearly all the oil sold today does not have the zinc and phosphorus that the old oil had, this being due to new EPA requirements. I had him change the oil and filter. He only uses Shell "Rotella T" oil. This oil, supposedly, is designed for diesel engines and is most like the original mid-60's style oil.
You found a good mechanic. You are new here so you probably haven't seen the multiple threads here on the subject of oil, ZDDP, and such. Do a search on "ZDDP" and you'll find plenty of info. There are other oils that are "friendly" with the older motors.

larry
Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
mrruffhouser
Racer

Default To redred65cpe and clarkakirby

Glad to see you two get it right on flatt tappet oil. I feel that I've been on a soap box here on the Forum in my attempt to get other members to understand the merits of using the "correct" oil.

Quick Reply: cam lobe got wiped out