C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What precautions do you take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
Errr.....no collapsing steering column, crush zones, airbags, ABS brakes, shoulder harnesses, On Star and the new paint job is worth 1/2 of the total cost of my Durango....

I haven't had anybody tailgate me trying to goose me into a speed display...maybe that happens more in a C2. I did have a pedestrian almost run in front of the car while chasing me while I was pulling out from a stoplight yelling, "What year vette is that ?". Screwball for sure.

Errr..no..what I said is that I always drive defensive no matter what I'm driving. Them people out there just cant/wont drive like they should!!

I drive to save my own ***....cars can be replaced.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Here in Orange County the traffic is amazing.
The traffic isn't amazing, it sucks. It was bad when I left OC 14 years ago. Don't even want to imagine it now.

I haven't had anybody tailgate me trying to goose me into a speed display...maybe that happens more in a C2.
I had a new supercharged Mustang try that a month or so ago, off the light he came around the side as soon as he was past the truck in the next lane, and nailed it. Then he saw my 1BAD283 license plate again about 1 second later. Never even got out of first gear before I shut it down.

Doug
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Damn right I'm concerned about the other driver!

I have a lot of seat time on motorcycles. You learn quickly to pay attention, always scanning for trouble, using your mirrors and looking for an escape route. Pretend you are invisible. I drive the Vette the same way. There is not a whole lot more protection than the bike.

With my car being bright yellow you'd think it would be easy to see..No Way!! I have more idiots pull out in front of me in the vette than in anything else I drive.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Funny you should ask...

My car 66 is Fitted with night-vision camera, reinforced steel plating, tear-gas cannon and oxygen tanks.

You never know who you will meet on a nice drive out in the country or in the cities.

jack
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I drive it like I stole it............
Old 03-29-2009, 09:01 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Blazer

With my car being bright yellow you'd think it would be easy to see..No Way!! I have more idiots pull out in front of me in the vette than in anything else I drive.
i know what you mean, it seems sometimes they try to draw a bead on you...plus they know youre' insured......
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
As long as you have good insurance, who cares. Driving around paranoid not only is more dangerous, it takes the fun out of the drive.

Right on, why worry about safety equipment now? You all probably drove like madmen when you were younger and never gave it a second thought... Why is everyone so feminized these days?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
Here in New Jersey, the traffic has always been bad. Most of the time, I take my car out during the work week. I drive more carefully with the corvette than my truck.
Glad I live in Bergen county, we have Blue Laws so Sunday is a good day to drive. A lot less traffic. I enjoy running through the gears but do drive all my cars pretty defensively. When I moved to NJ in 79, started wearing seat belts. Figured the way people here drive, a wreck will probably be a big one.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Tintin

Right on, why worry about safety equipment now? You all probably drove like madmen when you were younger and never gave it a second thought... Why is everyone so feminized these days?
Because most of us have grown up and now realize that life isn't forever. I did some stuff when I was younger that was so stupid, I should of had my head examined. I like to think now I know better and why get hurt and risk your life if you can help it.

Are you one of those people that thinks they are safe as long as they are in a car? Did you read my little tale above? You don't have to be going that fast to have a heck of an impact.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 AM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

I always try to drive defensively in any car i'm in. I don't worry about the car, it can be replaced, but you can't replace the people inside.

I have had my share of tailgater and have looked for a good way to get their attention if I can't pull over and let them pass. A year ago I was stopped at a red light and looked in my mirror and see a Ford Excursion bearing down on me and the woman driver is on the phone. I glanced for cross traffic and everything was clear. When it became obvious she was not stopping, I punch it as hard as I could and about the same time she sees me and hits the brakes. The Ford stopped about half way through the innersection (she never tried to swerve) and at one point all I could see was the grill of that SUV. I was saved by a split second and a hell of a lot of luck. So again, how to get the attention of that driver?
I have bought the loudest set of truck horns I can find and am going to mount them behind the rear axle. This should get the attenton of a tailgater or wake up a daydreamer, I know they scare the devil out of me when a semi driver blows them.
This may not be for everyone but if it gives me a split second edge I am giving it a try.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 AM
nanood62
Instructor

All my years riding road bikes over here in Oz, it has left me with, I drive also for other road users.

It's not that I dont trust them, I just dont trust them!

I was driving my 63 just a few weeks ago and was on my way home, there is a one lane small bridge a couple of miles away from my place, and I noticed a small pick up coming around one of the bends before the bridge, man he was moving.
I backed off and stopped further away than normal from the start of the bridge thinking this guy is going too fast for my liking.
Just as well I did he almost took my front out as he lost control at the end of the bridge on the bend comming out of it, the rear of his flat tray missed the Vette only by no more than 8 to 10". The guy caught the side slide at the last minute. I think he was sitting in his own excrement once he straightend up.

Lucky for me, I saw him comming or there would have been two cars wrecked

I do like driving my classics far to much for some idiot to run into me, I go back to, I just don't trust them

Cheers
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

During the last 10 years that I have owned my 65 coupe, it was been rear ended by an SUV. Their insurance company didn't want to spend $5,200 on such an old car. It was over a year from the time of the accident until I got it back. More recently, someone tried to steal it from a Walmart parking lot, by pulling out all the wires from the ignition switch.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Five Window
Instructor

Don't change your driving habits just because you're in a Vette!

Most of us have been driving for over 40 years, and if we're still here we must be good drivers. A lot of good driving is subconscious, and thinking about it will screw you up. The only thing I do differently is stay far back from semi's (especially the sand and gravel carriers!)
Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I enjoy driving my old Corvettes but must admit I am a little paranoid with all the distracted drivers out there with phones glued to their heads and tailgaters.

I stay out of city traffic and the only place I park them is in the garage.

Quick Reply: What precautions do you take?