C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Summit Racing Oil - High Amount of ZDDP (1800) - Anyone Using it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:20 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
This isn't true. If you got to the Chevelle site or Nova site , there are very recent tests of the VR1 where it tested right where they advertise. There are also tests of the Spectro oils, which tested very good as well. There are pages and pages of threads over there as well as on bobistheoilguy. Also of the new CJ4 diesel oils, Delo seems to have the highest zddp levels.

Bill
Bill - thanks for the info - That is good news about the Valvoline Racing VR1 oils! Can you post the url for the camaro website where they verified the Valvoline and tested the Spectro oils. Id like to read them. Thanks!

Last edited by babbah; 11-01-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
What are these "corrosive properties" you speak of?
ZDDP 1600 to 1800 ppm is way too much for your every day engine that is expected to last 8 years or more. ZDDP over 1400 ppm (race oil) in your every day engine can cause problems including some etching and corrosion over time, do to different chemical elements that are added to protect race engines when push beyond its limits. These additives can break down considerably over long oil changing intervals. Resulting a change in properties with the addition of small amounts of moisture from constant cooling and heating of the oil over a period of time, compared to nominal running hours when properly used.

I don't know of any API certified, S or C category oils, that has over 1400 ppm. If you find one please let me know!

OE valve trains certainly don't need more than 1200 to 1400 ppm. Check to see if your oil is API certified, if not! You will have to rely on the manufactures claim alone, praying that the non-API certified oil has the correct additives you need. It's a crap shoot!

Just about any oil will run without short term problems in a vintage engine. The difference between the best and the worst oil would require a fleet of field test vehicles run in the same environment, and a long list of lab tests, comparing the results. That is what API certification is all about.

Remember API is independent, others that do not carry the API certified logo, maybe selling you snakeoil... It's your engine!!!

Someone told me once that he uses a high quality grade racing oil, and it runs great. He said many of his racing friends use it with no problems. I asked how long have you been using this oil. Little over a year 5000 to 7000 miles, why? I replied most race engines are rebuilt 3 times or more during that time.... How do you know it works well for long term everyday engines? No reply!

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 11-02-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
Bill - thanks for the info - That is good news about the Valvoline Racing VR1 oils! Can you post the url for the camaro website where they verified the Valvoline and tested the Spectro oils. Id like to read them. Thanks!
Here you go. Should be enough reading to kill a whole day. Make sure you read through entirely as things change as time goes by on the threads. Most of the more recent tests are towards the end of the threads but it is all good reading anyway. The Nova site thread deals mostly with the VR1. I am running a big solid flat tappet in my car so I love researching this stuff.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=80715
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195620
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283416
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243928

Last edited by 69ttop502; 11-02-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:30 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Here you go. Should be enough reading to kill a whole day. Most of the more recent tests are towards the end of the threads but it is all good reading anyway. The Nova site thread deals mostly with the VR1.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=80715
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195620
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283416
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243928
Are all these oils API certified? I'm not saying these oils are no good! I just don't fully trust manufacturers that test their own oil. (conflict of interest). My way of thinking may not be the same as yours, maybe I'm a little paranoid.....but those guys can write whatever they want. Trust the API certification, it's a standard.

Just my two cents.... rustylugnuts
Old 11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It says "Meets A.P.I. SL Quality levels" whatever that is worth.

http://goldenmotorguard.com/cart/ind...&products_id=3
Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
ZDDP 1600 to 1800 ppm is way too much for your every day engine that is expected to last 8 years or more. ZDDP over 1400 ppm (race oil) in your every day engine can cause problems including some etching and corrosion over time, do to different chemical elements that are added to protect race engines when push beyond its limits. These additives can break down considerably over long oil changing intervals. Resulting a change in properties with the addition of small amounts of moisture from constant cooling and heating of the oil over a period of time, compared to nominal running hours when properly used.

I don't know of any API certified, S or C category oils, that has over 1400 ppm. If you find one please let me know!

OE valve trains certainly don't need more than 1200 to 1400 ppm. Check to see if your oil is API certified, if not! You will have to rely on the manufactures claim alone, praying that the non-API certified oil has the correct additives you need. It's a crap shoot!

Just about any oil will run without short term problems in a vintage engine. The difference between the best and the worst oil would require a fleet of field test vehicles run in the same environment, and a long list of lab tests, comparing the results. That is what API certification is all about.

Remember API is independent, others that do not carry the API certified logo, maybe selling you snakeoil... It's your engine!!!

Someone told me once that he uses a high quality grade racing oil, and it runs great. He said many of his racing friends use it with no problems. I asked how long have you been using this oil. Little over a year 5000 to 7000 miles, why? I replied most race engines are rebuilt 3 times or more during that time.... How do you know it works well for long term everyday engines? No reply!

rustylugnuts
I will try again.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I will try again.

This is a quote from "Duke W." who is well known here. This subject has been beaten to death. Do a search.

First of all, ZDDP is represented by P, and 1600 ppm is too much for a road engine that is expected to last a decade or more. Over 1400 in a road engine can cause problems including some exotic corrosion mechanisms over time. I don't know of any API certified oil, S or C-category, that has ever had over 1400 ppm P.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,540 Likes on 3,007 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 1snake
This is a quote from "Duke W." who is well known here. This subject has been beaten to death. Do a search.

First of all, ZDDP is represented by P, and 1600 ppm is too much for a road engine that is expected to last a decade or more. Over 1400 in a road engine can cause problems including some exotic corrosion mechanisms over time. I don't know of any API certified oil, S or C-category, that has ever had over 1400 ppm P.
I asked Duke to explain his statement about corrosion and this is what he wrote:

Originally Posted by Jim Lockwood (2750) View Post
How about explaining what these are and what constitutes "long term".

Thanks,

Jim

I don't have any detailed information on them - read a reference to them in some papers/articles I looked at including one from a GM engineer. Maybe you or someone else can research it. I'm getting tired of being the only guy...

Long term would mean years, which would apply to most of us and our cars.
So, Duke doesn't know either.

Jim
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
L79vette66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Mobil 1 15w 50. It has 1200 phosphorus and 1300 zinc.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by snydes
It says "Meets A.P.I. SL Quality levels" whatever that is worth.

http://goldenmotorguard.com/cart/ind...&products_id=3
Looking at the API website on API SL oil it states that SL oil has a limit of 1000 ppm P. The Spectro ad states

"Motor-Guard® contains exceptional uptreats of anti-wear additives (1,800 ppm of zinc and phosphorus) to protect flat tappets, reduce wear, extend component life, and provide tremendous lubrication protection in extreme heat conditions."

Either they are violating the API standards guideline or theyre playing a game of BS.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by L79vette66
I run Mobil 1 15w 50. It has 1200 phosphorus and 1300 zinc.
That's what I run....do you have a source where you got the zinc/phosphorus numbers....I'd love to read it...?

ACTUALLY I found it...here is what Mobil claims are the ZDDP levels in their various synthetics:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf (16.1 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-02-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donald #31176
Looking at the API website on API SL oil it states that SL oil has a limit of 1000 ppm P. The Spectro ad states

"Motor-Guard® contains exceptional uptreats of anti-wear additives (1,800 ppm of zinc and phosphorus) to protect flat tappets, reduce wear, extend component life, and provide tremendous lubrication protection in extreme heat conditions."

Either they are violating the API standards guideline or theyre playing a game of BS.
Could you post a link to where you found that on the API site? All I find is a generic "for 2004 and older automotive engines".

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1snake

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I asked Duke to explain his statement about corrosion and this is what he wrote:

So, Duke doesn't know either.

Jim
See, that is the problem.

No one seems to know what these so called "corrosive properties" are.

Seems to me that every time oil and ZDDP is mentioned the starts flying.

If you stop and think about it; it is a very simple question.

The research that I have done tells me that phosphorus clogs catalytic converters (which I could care less about). Then there is some sulfur in "dino" oil. But it is in ALL "dino" oil. So that can't be it.

I just want to know what they are.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by snydes
Could you post a link to where you found that on the API site? All I find is a generic "for 2004 and older automotive engines".

Thanks,
Steve
Tried to copy link but did not work. Go to the API website and search "API 1509 ".

Engine oil licensing & certification. Page 59.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,540 Likes on 3,007 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Simple questions don't always have simple answers.

I've read many of the same SAE papers to which Duke refers and I've seen the same references to the corrosion issue that he saw. I'm convinced it's real. Unfortunately, none of the papers I have make any attempt to explain its exact nature.

I'm sure there is an SAE paper that lays it all out. You could go to the SAE web page, search for papers that discuss the corrosion problem, and buy them. That's what I did when I was on my quest to learn about the zinc/phosphorus issue.

Jim
Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

The research that I have done tells me that phosphorus clogs catalytic converters (which I could care less about). Then there is some sulfur in "dino" oil. But it is in ALL "dino" oil. So that can't be it.

If you don't like what was written, then just do a google search under: ZDDP! That will keep you occupied for about 4 hours, and then let us know what you found.

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 11-04-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

If you don't like what was written, then just do a google search under: ZDDP! That will keep you occupied for about 4 hours, and then let us know what you found.

rustylugnuts

Can you not read?

knight37128

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Racing Oil - High Amount of ZDDP (1800) - Anyone Using it?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Can you not read?

knight37128
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Why you would come on here a spread miss-information is beyond me.

You say there are "corrosive properties" in racing oil. You have nothing to back it up. Do you think that I will believe you?

The reason why race engines have the oil changed more often is the gas getting into the oil. Most are running lower ring pressure so more gas get into the oil. (in case you didn't know; gas will break down oil)

Until you come up with some kind of information on your so called "corrosive properties"; I will call every time you even think of mentioning it.

knight37128
Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Why you would come on here a spread miss-information is beyond me.

You say there are "corrosive properties" in racing oil. You have nothing to back it up. Do you think that I will believe you?

The reason why race engines have the oil changed more often is the gas getting into the oil. Most are running lower ring pressure so more gas get into the oil. (in case you didn't know; gas will break down oil)

Until you come up with some kind of information on your so called "corrosive properties"; I will call every time you even think of mentioning it.

knight37128
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it zinc!!!!!!! hint, hint, hint...

Quick Reply: Summit Racing Oil - High Amount of ZDDP (1800) - Anyone Using it?