C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

4 speed vs Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:34 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree Jim with the autos being more consistent but agree with Tom, they are not quicker. I also was brought up driving a 4 speed. Yes, the drag racer with the most money using auto against auto will win, but that’s not always the case with 4 speeds.... sometimes the better driver wins. What’s competitive about automatics, you don't have to launch, or have the fear of missing a gear and possibly over revving your engine. Tom nailed it right on.... ha ha ha..... Couldn’t have said it better myself...... way to tell it Tom like it really is... You just need to be from the old school to totally understand it....

rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 06-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

4 speed Vettes were the rule before the BB`s came upon the scene in 1969 with a T400 attached to a L89 435hp 427 ci SHP engine. I am a racer and the autos are definitely quicker than any standard 4,5,or whatever transmission. So much so there had to be a special class strictly for the autos as the 4 speeds couldn`t quite make it when the autos came out. The National records with autos is about 2-3 tents faster than the sticks.... And a Lenco is actually made from C4 Ford parts wrapped in special housings....Shift and clutch all you want, I`ll be waiting at the top end for you....
Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
4 speed Vettes were the rule before the BB`s came upon the scene in 1969 with a T400 attached to a L89 435hp 427 ci SHP engine. I am a racer and the autos are definitely quicker than any standard 4,5,or whatever transmission. So much so there had to be a special class strictly for the autos as the 4 speeds couldn`t quite make it when the autos came out. The National records with autos is about 2-3 tents faster than the sticks.... And a Lenco is actually made from C4 Ford parts wrapped in special housings....Shift and clutch all you want, I`ll be waiting at the top end for you....
Check under
http://100megsfree4.com/corvette/1960/vet69.htm

"Historical notes" on automatic transmission option times...
Wow! My little 67 327 with a off road Z-28 Crane Cam SSH-310NC ran a 12.01 @108.6 mph..... I could be standing outside my Corvette at the traps eating a hot dog and drinking a coke before that BB auto comes crawling by...... Peace

rustylugnuts
Old 06-19-2010, 11:39 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry guys, I am on the stick shift team. Wally, I am in agreement with you almost 100 % of the time. But, this time we differ. I run a group of solid axle, Modified Production, 1969 rules, series here in North Jersey called the North Jersey Outlaws (NJO) Our rules say only manual transmissions. Me, and the better guys will run within Hundreds of a second on every run all day long (assuming the temperature does not change too much).

We rent the track several times a year and will do as much as 9-10 runs that day. We also do some public events that have brackets. Our series is heads up only.

I think the auto's came in to favor back in the late 60s and 70s was because the tire technology was way behind the engines of the day. There was no way to hook up a stick to launch as fast as an auto car, too much tire spin.

With today's bracket racing, ET does not matter. With all the electronics, racing has been reduced to a large version of a video game, little driver skill needed. What a shame.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Personally (and I'm old enough to remember when the Corvette was brand new in 53), I think the Corvette has become luxury status symbol for the snooty folks who need a "look at me" car for their image. Ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, I know that the later cars have all the whistles and bells, power, braking, steering, handling, etc, etc, etc features that could not even be imagined on the older cars. They also have all the convenience items required by the yuppies, blond beauties and wannabes. It's my perception that MOST (pay attention, I said MOST, NOT all) of these owners are NOT, repeat, NOT performance car drivers! Yes, I said performance car. The image of the Corvette has (for the most part) been a performance car (even the early 283/1x4bl carb/PG Vettes were a moderate perf car), and it was for the performance minded driver. Not so much any more.
I'm a performance driver (and ocassional crusing driver) and I want the maximum control possible from a car. You GET that control with a 4sp (or a 5sp or a 6sp), you do not get that total control with an auto tranny. People, including myself, WILL PAY the extra $$$$ for a 4sp car over an identical auto tranny car. Some, not all, auto trannys WILL SHIFT, NO MATTER WHERE THE GEAR SELECTOR IS POSITIONED, and NOT where you want it. And last, the enjoyment of driving a 4sp car (I use 4sp as generic for 3sp, 4sp, 5sp, 6sp) is lost with an auto tranny car.
And, then there are those folks who state that an auto tranny shifts faster than a 4sp. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take a ride with Tom Parsons, and I'll show you how fast a properly adjusted 4sp can be shifted! Keep in mind that I grew up in the days of the power shifted muscle car era. Sometimes it just makes me want to puke when I see how some people shift their 4sp cars.
ABSOLUTELY, I'll pay more for a 4sp car, plus, a Vette with an auto tranny is just as wrong as 2 boys having sex!

Tom Parsons
Tom:

You must abstain from "sugar coating" all your responses.....

"
Old 06-20-2010, 01:50 AM
jules-57
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So is 3000 a good estimate for a conversion to a 4sp? I've had my auto for 27 years, but that's all i could afford when i purchased it along with putting it back together expenses. I miss having gears.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Sorry Men, Autos rule..that is if you want to win

There is nothing wrong with a 4 speed car or 4 speed Vette, its that they are not the world beaters of racing. The autos rule and the above quoted 12-0 second 4 speed clutch Chevy could be used in a pinch to start a 'Hemi or a L88. You better eat that hot dog inside before a BB gets to it....

use this link and take a look, I have both the Hemi and LS7 with automatics...because 'Winning isn`t everything, its the only thing'

http://www.competitionplus.com/2005_02_03/holton.html

good reading, no offense either
Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Dave K.
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock0324, Only an opinion to your question. I would guess that many to most of the automatic mid years, would not be flogged as much as the standard shift cars. As far as value, I have a 4sp. '62. My Dad had a '66 conv. with hdtp, auto and air. I loved it as well. I wish it had power windows, power steering also. It was built for a different purpose and it fit me fine. So if I was looking for a cream puff with creature comforts, I would assume there are more cream puff auto. cars than cream puff standard shift cars.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:26 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

The FIRST criteria for the best car to buy should be the BODY! Don't worry about the mechanical stuff that is worn or torn up, bent, broken, non-original stuff. All that can be satisfactorily repaired or replaced.

Bodies that have had severe damage are not easily repaired without lingering problems and appearance issues.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Would the exception to the rule be when a Fuelie motor in sitting in front of the tranny?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a power glide in my '66 coupe. If it wasn't original to the car, then I would of pulled it out many years ago and replaced it with a 4 speed. I do pretend to shift it manually.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vetrod62

With today's bracket racing, ET does not matter. With all the electronics, racing has been reduced to a large version of a video game, little driver skill needed. What a shame.
oh yeah
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Unless its a 427 / 396 car a manual would be mandatory. Lower hp cars..... I wouldn't care. Matter of fact I would prefer an automatic C-1 and I'm on the trail for one. The car would be notably in better condition, probably female owned, and have less modifications. They drive better in city traffic and when I drive an old vette its not a drag race. There really isn't room for someone 6'5" to constantly play with the clutch and even if there was it wouldn't be enjoyable. I would be closer to a metric 200 install vs the 5 speed manual.
A new vette would have to be a convertible with automatic... no other choice would be considered.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No question manual tranny's are more expensive. Just go through the ebay listings and look at the price and not the details. Anytime you see a car priced $5-10k less than the others, look at the description. Its always turns out to be an automatic. Happens to me all the time.
Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Here's a thought. I would think that since 3 speeds and automatics aren't in the "sexy" 4 speed category, there would be less tendency to "phony" up an 3 speed/automatic car. In other words, would a 3 speed/automatic car be more likely to have an original drive train, as opposed to a 4 speed?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 PM
stuartc53
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fwillison
My 63 coupe is a 4 spd, my 68 roadster is a TH400 automatic.
Chose 'em both and love 'em both for different reasons.
I know it is just my own personal thing, but to me the C2 is a car I want to drive like a performance car, mash the gas, and row the gears. I would not have considered an auto tranny when I shopped my 63.
However, on a nice day, I like to drop the top for a leisurely cruise in the C3 roadster without having to bother with shifting. I can drink a cup of coffee, fiddle with the radio, put my elbow up on the door and enjoy it. Not to say the car doesn't get on it when I want it to. But it offers some things the 63 doesn't and vice versa.
I think there are buyers for both.
Exactly. They both offer something the other one does not. There will always be a market for both. About everybody says they want a manual, but they sell more new automatic Corvettes. Go figure. Its like a convertible, when asked, people say "yes, I like and would buy a convertible" but when it comes time to put the money down, they end up buying a hardtop. I think the older you get, the more appealing an automatic becomes. When I was 18, I wouldn't even look at an automatic. Now that I am 60, I doesn't matter much which tranny. I am more concerned about options, colors, and condition.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It's really pretty simple, the 4 speeds sell for more because there are more buyers and you can generally ask more. Whether you like them or not, or which one is faster in the quarter mile has no bearing on the answer to the question. Four speed cars in the C2 generation sell for more than automatics if all else is equal. And sometimes even if it isn't.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 speed vs Automatic

Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah yes, I remember when this thread first came up. I was still in my 40's.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Every time someone asks me about my car one of the very first things they ALWAYS ask "is it a 4speed"? When I say yes, it is, they always seem to say "yeah, all right! I LOVE my Muncie and wouldn't even THINK of looking at any corvette or muscle era car without one.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:32 AM
BIG BLOCK JAMO
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

over the years i've owned 15 corvettes (ALL 4-SPEEDS). presently a 62 fulie, 63 (SWC), 3- 66 427/425's and a 67 435. the thought of having an automatic makes me fell like i'm wearing a dress and my old lady is making me leave the party because i'm having fun.... over the years, i've turned down at least 5 nice Corvette air cars because they were automatics.
of the 7 Corvettes, 2 Z-28's, 2- 66 big block(360 & 375) SS Chevelles, 2- El Camino's, 2- SS 396/375 SS Novas, 63 421 Catalina, 64 GTO, 66 2+2 421 Pontaic convertible that i currently own, the only automatics in my collection are my 66 impala (BIG block/full option) turbo 400 w/ a Gear Vendors overdrive and a 38 chevy business coupe street rod. i wish those 2 were sticks, but they're too nice to change. the ONLY muscle car with an automatic is the Hurst Olds.
i know that an automatic shifts faster, but this is the street, not the U.S. Nationals at Raceway park in Indianapolis. i'll trade a 1/10th or 2 for the buzz of powershifting my "MUSCLE" cars.... just my humble opinion...
DON'T BE A *****.....

Quick Reply: 4 speed vs Automatic