C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carpet does not fit tight

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Carpet does not fit tight

NEED HELP TO GET CARPET TO FIT TIGHT. WHEN I TRIAL FIT MY CARPET IN THE 63 THERE WAS A LOT OF WRINKLES. THE FIT WAS JUST NOT CORRECT. I THOUGHT IF I PUT JUTE OVER THE DYNAMAT IT WOULD TAKE UP THE SLACK. ALL IDEAS AND COMMENTS WELCOME.
THANKS GEORGE
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,051 Likes on 579 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Because 63 and 64 had rubber backed carpet from the factory, anything you put under it is going to change the fit. Most repo carpet is made wrong anyway, it makes it worse with a backing, you may have to slice and dice it, with the border on the main pc's it won't be easy to hide. I just put ACC carpet in a 67 conv. and matched it with the original all the back pc's were made wrong. (all the originals still had the J.P. Stephens tags on them.)
Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

I used Al Knoch rubber backed carpets on my 63 Convertible. They fit to perfection. The shouldn't have had wrinkles from the start. Or after for that matter. Sounds like a manufacturing issue.
I laid a single layer of hushmat through out. Double layer hushmat on tunnel. Followed by a thick ceramic tunnel blanket. Mine laid down perfect. Only had to trim a few places. Sorry to hear your having issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet does not fit tight

Quick Reply: Carpet does not fit tight