C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rust Prevention on C-1 frame ...Kroil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 AM
xiaoman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust Prevention on C-1 frame ...Kroil?

Hello,
I am still trying to get my 1958 corvette on the road.. tweaking the motor and while its down I decided to work on a few other things.
I have no rust issues on the frame and have painted the exterior of the rails but I also know that boxed frames are notorious for holding moisture and hiding rust. I have seen posts on using waxed based as well as oil as a barrier/sealer.
I would like to us the oil as it seems a better option to me as I am not sure that the wax will migrate into small/tight areas... (POR 15 may not either) for those of you that have used this method (oil) can you tell me which oil you have used and how you applied it. I live in Ca. so no Ziebart here.
Regards,Xiaoman
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

If you don't drive on the beach in salt water you ant going to live longer to see your frame fall apart so why worry . My engine and trans leeks a little so the oil keeps it from rusting.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 PM
xiaoman
Racer

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
If you don't drive on the beach in salt water you ant going to live longer to see your frame fall apart so why worry . My engine and trans leeks a little so the oil keeps it from rusting.
1955 copper,
Thanks for the reply... not worried, just want to keep the old car as clean as yours..you are correct about the oil leaks as the front half of my frame is cleaner (oxidation wise) than the back half....maybe I should just loosen a few more bolts on the oil pan!
Regards,Xiaoman
P.S. sorry for the dual post ..tried to edit but couldn't
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Undercoating in the old days consisted of changing your oil on a dirt road, splashing it all over the undercarriage, then driving down the dusty road. No wonder restoring the undercarriage is the dirtiest part of the job in modern times. If you do decide to use Kroil, PB blaster or equivelent on the frame, its just kerosene and transmission fluid.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:56 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by xiaoman
1955 copper,
Thanks for the reply... not worried, just want to keep the old car as clean as yours..you are correct about the oil leaks as the front half of my frame is cleaner (oxidation wise) than the back half....maybe I should just loosen a few more bolts on the oil pan!
Regards,Xiaoman
P.S. sorry for the dual post ..tried to edit but couldn't
Clean as mine? I hope not , for the first time in over 30 years today I just water blasted the frame , oil and grease every where and now I'm a mess. But no rust it was oily every place you could think of. I still have a 30 year oil rear seal leek
Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

If you aim the engine oil draft tube just right you can get an oil spray on the frame all the way back to the cross member. C-1 version of rust prevention.....just kidding...
Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

How about outfits like Rust Check or Krown Rust that spray a heavy almost WD40 type of coating inside the frame rails?

Not sure if Rust Check and Krown rust are in the USA but they are popular in Eastern Canada...

Cheers

Ken
Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history

I have used green phosphoric acid on my 61 and many, many oil field and off-shore process skids for years. The phos-acid reacts with the iron-oxide surface rust to form an iron-phosphate surface. The surface is protective, hard with a satin black finish. This is often used as a primer base on steel bridges, etc.

I use a siphon air nozzle with a small tip to insert into the various factory holes in the C-1 frame. It sort of fogs inside the box frame and protects the internal surfaces. I do it periodically every few years when car is up on a lift. Inexpensive, mild acid, not corrosive to things under a C-1. Not a hazard, slight irritation if you get it on your hands.

Many other good options; this is cheap, easy and an old industrial treatment. Can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Joe
Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 PM
xiaoman
Racer

Originally Posted by kenmo
How about outfits like Rust Check or Krown Rust that spray a heavy almost WD40 type of coating inside the frame rails?

Not sure if Rust Check and Krown rust are in the USA but they are popular in Eastern Canada...

Cheers

Ken
ken, thanks for the reply as i live in l.a. it is difficult to find rust treatment center in my aera,when i lived in michigan they were all over the place..maybe devildog has a solution. thanks again xiaoman
Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
xiaoman
Racer

Originally Posted by syp
I have used green phosphoric acid on my 61 and many, many oil field and off-shore process skids for years. The phos-acid reacts with the iron-oxide surface rust to form an iron-phosphate surface. The surface is protective, hard with a satin black finish. This is often used as a primer base on steel bridges, etc.

I use a siphon air nozzle with a small tip to insert into the various factory holes in the C-1 frame. It sort of fogs inside the box frame and protects the internal surfaces. I do it periodically every few years when car is up on a lift. Inexpensive, mild acid, not corrosive to things under a C-1. Not a hazard, slight irritation if you get it on your hands.

Many other good options; this is cheap, easy and an old industrial treatment. Can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Joe
Joe,
thanks for the suggestion ..Where would I get the air nozzle attachment..is it just a spray bottle or something from Eastwood? is the phos-acid a sort of encapsulator and no harm etc.?
thanks xiaoman
Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history

Originally Posted by xiaoman
Joe,
thanks for the suggestion ..Where would I get the air nozzle attachment..is it just a spray bottle or something from Eastwood? is the phos-acid a sort of encapsulator and no harm etc.?
thanks xiaoman
You could use an empty spray bottle used for house hold cleaner, but the air nozzle is available where they sell air tools...it is like a air nozzle used to blow dust off, but has a a small side fitting to attach a hose. It sucks (venturi effect) the liquid out of a bottle and atomizes it in the airstream.

No, phos-acid does not encapsulate, it reacts and turns the surface rust to iron-phopshate which is a hard, protective surface.

You might find a pint or qt bottle and try it. Like I said it has been used for decades as a primer on steel before painting. It is not a strong acid, just makes a surface that is resistant to oxidation (rust)
Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Devildog-Are you referring to Ospho?

Originally Posted by devildog
No, phos-acid does not encapsulate, it reacts and turns the surface rust to iron-phopshate which is a hard, protective surface.

You might find a pint or qt bottle and try it. Like I said it has been used for decades as a primer on steel before painting. It is not a strong acid, just makes a surface that is resistant to oxidation (rust)
Ospho is sold in quart and gallon jugs, primarily a phosphoric acid solution best I can figure.

Get notified of new replies

To Rust Prevention on C-1 frame ...Kroil?

Quick Reply: Rust Prevention on C-1 frame ...Kroil?