C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Clutch Linkage improvement mod (some pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Clutch Linkage improvement mod (some pics)

I don't know about you guys but I've never really liked the clutch linkage action on the C2. It does not feel very linear. So I did something about it. Pics below for those who think they might like the change
See pics at bottom.

The whole feel of the action though is almost as if going over centre, when you get to the halfway point when pushing down. When letting clutch out, then same thing , but in reverse. It does not bug me so much when depressing the pedal, but when letting clutch out it just seems odd.
My clutch is linkage/pushrod setup is regular standard parts, all new plate and pressure plate etc, from a fairly extensive rebuild.
I know that that you can change the bracket on the clutch pedal for a quicker action, but this was already on the "slow" action position. Just for a my own education, I set it to the quick release position and that was diabolical.
After modding, what I have now is a nice progressive release action. The pedal is no heavier, not that it was particularly heavy before and the thing is just that much nicer to drive.

I removed the bolt-on bracket from the clutch pedal and modified it by adding another hole, but this hole is rotated the other way,( ie clockwise) about the bottom hole. If you look at the annotated pic you will be able to see the scribed line about the centre of bottom hole. I drilled the hole on this line.

The extra piece of metal welded to the bracket is to ensure the pedal still seats on the rubber bumper stop, with the new geometry.

If this extra piece is not added, the pedal will almost completely miss the bumper stop. This would run the risk of the the pedal jumping past the bumper stop and jamming.
I used a scrap piece of 50x50x4 (RHS) (Rectangular section) then whittled it down to the shape you see. The small turnover on this piece is quite important as the flat engagement surface with the rubber bumper lines up alot better.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it!
I know exactly what you mean about the sensation one feels in the other two holes. Nice mod.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Clutch pedal

Nev, I thought your clutch pedal modification looked interesting so I made one to your pictures and your are right. A whole new world has opened up. Thanks for the idea.

I did do the bumper extension a little different. The part of the bracket that would have been used for the fast release wasnt being used so I just cut it off and welded it like you did as an extension of the slow release bumper, that way I didnt have to make anything. Thanks again, I love it and will pass it on to my midyear friends. Scott
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep mine in the fast shift (low pedal) position with the engagement point
close to the carpet, and in 24 years have never noticed anything odd about
the linkage feel or performance. I can let the 11 inch clutch out at 700 rpm
idle without stalling or bouncing the car, and I can power shift to break the
wheels out in 2, 3, and 4.

Do you keep the pedal in the high position with the engagement at the top?

Last edited by magicv8; 03-06-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,638 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Question - Since the added hole is on the same radius respective to the "normal" clutch position - then this doesn't affect the length of the clutch travel between disengaged - fully engaged?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fogaley
Nev, I thought your clutch pedal modification looked interesting so I made one to your pictures and your are right. A whole new world has opened up. Thanks for the idea.

I did do the bumper extension a little different. The part of the bracket that would have been used for the fast release wasnt being used so I just cut it off and welded it like you did as an extension of the slow release bumper, that way I didnt have to make anything. Thanks again, I love it and will pass it on to my midyear friends. Scott
Scott,
Glad you like it.
Good idea using the fast release bumper

Neville
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nev Williams
I don't know about you guys but I've never really liked the clutch linkage action on the C2. It does not feel very linear. So I did something about it. Pics below for those who think they might like the change
See pics at bottom.

I removed the bolt-on bracket from the clutch pedal and modified it by adding another hole, but this hole is rotated the other way,( ie clockwise) about the bottom hole. ...

Great idea!
Now, while the 'left hole' on your picture increases the distance between the hinge line of the pedal and the clutch rod (hence make it shorter throw - 'faster' - but needs more pedal force), your new hole makes this distance smaller (than standard setting) so in principle this will indeed smoothen the feel as you describe but require longer pedal throw for the same clutch pull out. According to your experience, this does not seem to be a problem?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I'll try the fast acting hole and see if it helps but not sure about drilling another hole. I installed the linkage I made and I can tell enough difference in pedal pressure that I'm going to go ahead and modified the shaft for a swivel cap going to the clutch. And yes, I know the correct way to resolve problem is install a new clutch but pulling engine or dropping transmission is too much work for me tight now. Maybe later but I will still use the mods I made regardless of new softer clutch. Thanks for the idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Linkage improvement mod (some pics)

Quick Reply: Clutch Linkage improvement mod (some pics)