C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Bumper issue for my 1960

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Rear Bumper issue for my 1960

Im am trying to get ready to send out my bumpers for re-chroming. Seems they have been through this process at least once before. The car did not have license plate lights on the rear bumpers when I got it, It did come with some reproduction housings in a box. However, I just ordered complete assemblies from Paragon (they are actually CC products) to make sure everything would fit before I sent out for chroming. The current housings and the new ones from Paragon are very close in profile and look.

As you can see in the attached photos, I have a problem. In photo #1 the backer plate that the light assembly screws to seems to be positioned correctly and seems to be original as it is spot welded to the bumper and as it has a hole that aligns with the bumper guard mounting bolt, it see to only go one way and in one position.

However, if you look at photo #2 with the lamp assembly attached, it doesn't look very good, i.e. the bumper extends quite a bit beyond the lamp housing. Photo #3 shows a different angle.

I can cheat the housing outward toward the outer edge of the bumper a little by cutting the back plate hole some, but that will only go so far. I could also attempt to modify the profile of the bumper by doing some grinding, but only as a last resort.

Can anyone provide close ups of their 58-60 similar assembly. Hopefully with the lamp off and on the bumper? Or any other advice?
Attached Images    
Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Pretty normal fit. I usually elongate the screw holes, and use a screw clip with a deeper throat, so that I can line up the top, and back to make it "appear" that the light fits. Good luck.

Mike Coletta
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Here's an original. Looks like the repros are 9/10 scale...

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bumper issue for my 1960

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper issue for my 1960