C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hardware Suggestions for 54 Hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 PM
redneckriviera
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hardware Suggestions for 54 Hardtop

I have what I believe to be a Scott top for my 54. (I frankly do not know how to tell the difference between a Plasticon and Scott top.) Anyway, it came with no hardware or hold down brackets of any kind. I am desperately seeking suggestions. Thank you much!!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:56 PM
TroyPyles
Pro

Typically they used 4 of the 53-55 front convertible top chrome latches that hooked to the windshield. In some cases the center J shaped piece may have been longer than the OEM part. (I happen to have an extra pair if interested.) Send me your email and I can forward some photos showing the latches on my hardtops.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Old 12-18-2010, 10:39 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the female mounts for the scott top that attach to the 53-55 body. The parts on the top itself are basically straight pins that slide into these. I do not have the male portions.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

I've seen various hardware used on the Scott top , you may wont to make up something that works for you .The header is the hard area to hold down . The plasticon top is better and having a big back window ,also water tight . I used it mostly in the winter .

Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM
BJ Retired
Instructor

Default Hardtop

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
I've seen various hardware used on the Scott top , you may wont to make up something that works for you .The header is the hard area to hold down . The plasticon top is better and having a big back window ,also water tight . I used it mostly in the winter .

Roy any chance of posting a few Picks of your hold down straps. They are pretty strong. Plasticon hardtops have a bad habit of going air born at high speeds when the original hold downs are used............Bob
Old 12-18-2010, 12:00 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Dan my brother-in-law for a while repro'ed the plasticon tops. He used my original to make a mould but the original dint fit good around the window area and the hardware mounts I dint like .So he made the window area fit perfect and we came up with using "U" hardware bonded to the top as seen here so straps could be used to pull and tighten the top down . I added 56 hard top retainers plate to support the fiberglass as seen also . Easy on and off. The inner liner is all biege leather .Any questions ask me.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:45 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by BJ Retired
Roy any chance of posting a few Picks of your hold down straps. They are pretty strong. Plasticon hardtops have a bad habit of going air born at high speeds when the original hold downs are used............Bob
Next time you come over I'll show how it works because I had the bubble top on when you come. How is that fender doing?
Old 12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
BJ Retired
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
Next time you come over I'll show how it works because I had the bubble top on when you come. How is that fender doing?
They aren't going to pick it up until the storms slow down. We are getting hammered this weekend and into the holidays. About 8 inches of snow last night now it's raining?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 PM
YesA59
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redneckriviera
I have what I believe to be a Scott top for my 54. (I frankly do not know how to tell the difference between a Plasticon and Scott top.) Anyway, it came with no hardware or hold down brackets of any kind. I am desperately seeking suggestions. Thank you much!!
In the early 1960s, the long time owner of my 53 #276 car took a Scott top (or something akin to it) and modified it to suit his driving needs. Attached are pics that show the front and side attachments, the dome light, the real glass in the rear, and the vent system. This top is so much better than the standard issue Scott top - these mods were very well thought out.

Russ

Old 12-19-2010, 04:04 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the pictures and information guys. I've got a 54 with a strange hardtop (it's not like the ones seen above, closest it would be to Scott top) and it's got no mounting hardware left.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

OMG! Turn buckles and a 3rd brake light. I know, they were just cars back then.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by redneckriviera
we need to see the inside of the front of your top to help you. it will determine where brackets are to be placed. the easiest and most secure way of supporting the top will involve four 1/4" x 5" studs with at least two inches of thread, four angles at least 1/8" x 1" x 1" and four 1/4" thumbscrew(nuts). the back of the top will mount the same on almost any top. the angles will need to be predrilled on both sides. installation involves drilling through the side of the top and mounting a angle clip on the inside. you can cap the head of the bolt on the outside of the top (which will resemble the the plasicon emblem on the side) or use a bolt with a chrome plated head. next take the stud approximately three inches from the threaded end and bend the rod so it resembles the J bolt used on front of the convertible top. the threaded part goes through the angle and you attach the thumbscrew(nut). a piece like roy posted can mounted on the deck area of the car and the j end will catch on it. the thumb screws enables you to put this top on with no tools and they can be taken off when you are installing the top so that you don't scratch the paint. the front is fastenned the same way, except you do not drill through the hood. top can be installed in a matter of minutes by yourself with no tools and no fear of scratching paint. if a member is willing to give me his email address i can send him pictures and he can post them. i am lost when it comes to posting pictures.

Last edited by scopeli; 12-19-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Danny Joe
Heel & Toe

Default Scott Top

I Have a Scott Top
A Hard Top any ides on where to get weather stripping for it?
Dan
Old 05-08-2020, 03:08 PM
JoeNavy1990
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by scopeli
we need to see the inside of the front of your top to help you. it will determine where brackets are to be placed. the easiest and most secure way of supporting the top will involve four 1/4" x 5" studs with at least two inches of thread, four angles at least 1/8" x 1" x 1" and four 1/4" thumbscrew(nuts). the back of the top will mount the same on almost any top. the angles will need to be predrilled on both sides. installation involves drilling through the side of the top and mounting a angle clip on the inside. you can cap the head of the bolt on the outside of the top (which will resemble the the plasicon emblem on the side) or use a bolt with a chrome plated head. next take the stud approximately three inches from the threaded end and bend the rod so it resembles the J bolt used on front of the convertible top. the threaded part goes through the angle and you attach the thumbscrew(nut). a piece like roy posted can mounted on the deck area of the car and the j end will catch on it. the thumb screws enables you to put this top on with no tools and they can be taken off when you are installing the top so that you don't scratch the paint. the front is fastenned the same way, except you do not drill through the hood. top can be installed in a matter of minutes by yourself with no tools and no fear of scratching paint. if a member is willing to give me his email address i can send him pictures and he can post them. i am lost when it comes to posting pictures.
Older thread but offer to share pics is still valid—I can send an e-mail.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:04 PM
JoeNavy1990
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JoeNavy1990
Older thread but offer to share pics is still valid—I can send an e-mail.
If still willing to share pics please send to joe_navy1990@yahoo.com

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:41 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,343 Likes on 2,779 Posts

You are responding to your own post here, which was made after nearly a decade.

if there’s individuals you are wanting to reach, try a PM or post a new thread as a new question won’t been seen tacked into an old thread started in 2010.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardware Suggestions for 54 Hardtop

Quick Reply: Hardware Suggestions for 54 Hardtop