C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

*General Grand Sport Topic*

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
Here's something for you to chew on Ty.....
This is the Harrop ITB set-up. I'm making some new ram tubes for the combination right now. Hope to have some pics of them next week. I can tell you this...the build quality on the Harrop is outstanding....

================
Wizzard:

That is really a stunning piece. I love the Larger/Longer Ram Tubes, I'm guessing that will lower the RPM's where you start feeling the maximum torque of your engine?

I know for the "Daytona" hood, which I have, that is almost exactly what I was hoping to find, as I would like for the engine to breath cooler air through the side vents. (At least look functional in this respect) I know body lift at speed was probably the biggest reason, but I doubt many would know this.

If one runs an LS7 427, how did you decide on the diameter of the tubing? Is it based on the breathing potential of the stock heads, or the heads you purchased, or?

I guess do the longer tubes basically "Straighten" the air into a linear path making it easier for the engine to "Breath easier"/become more efficient at a lower RPM?

Do you have any insight in how this relationship works?

I really like the ITB's. Edelbrock's version to me makes me wonder if the ITB tuning has really been taken into consideration, as its configuration seams to, like the full Harrop fairing, essentially create a common plenum? I know this can be corrected with the programing of the EFI, BUT the presentation potential is lost.

ITB's are just cool, and so appropriate for the period. If your creativity is particularly running rich, plausible plumbing for the HARROP, like you see on the original 4X2 Webers, would be a neat way to disguise it from the casual viewer.

If you decide to put some of these ideas into affect, I would be interested in, like the great hinges you made, buying it for my car.

I am, definitely on the Aluminum LS/LT Band Wagon for my car, just NOT in modern trim. Since these cars cost a pretty penny to build in the first place, I would hate to not have a knockout one-two punch in the engine bay.

Can the tube diameter be too large for a given head?

Are there Filter Caps that fit these tubes?

The space down the middle is Ripe for something very cool to be fitted. Maybe something with longitudinal fins with stamping or casting/engraving, "GM EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN-Lightweight 1963 EFI" (or something in this fashion that would have been plausible during this time period. Of course the "Corvette Style" valve covers that are made to go over the stock LS/LT covers would be part of the "Presentation") . Given these were always being tinkered with depending on the engine design and the different trials that would have been done in developement, I think it could be really cool instead of a Flat Black Cover.

It might even semi-resemble the Rochester EFI of the period in certain way.

Did you build your engine or get it from MAST or another builder? I know their LS7 is running over 700 hp N/A. (with your car a power to weight Ratio of about 1 hp to 3. something pounds) What a ride!!!!

What are your thoughts?

Ty
Old 01-29-2018, 05:25 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Ty, I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences and prayers for you and your family.

I wanted to share with everyone here the pleasure I had of spending time with Rick Costa this past weekend. He shared a DVD that the Simeone Museum shot of him driving the #002 GS there back in 2010. I offered to extract the clip and post it to YouTube for him so that others could enjoy this rare experience. He hopes you enjoy the video! (Be sure to listen to his closing comments at the end of the video. )

https://youtu.be/_z7RmGUctgY
===========================

Something interesting:

I didn't realize the "Chop Top" version didn't have the inset door handles nor either of the "Grand Sport" hoods.

Any Idea for this?

I would think they would still suffer from lifting, and the doors would all be basically the same regarding the handles.

I'm very interested in learning.

On another note what a Lucky guy to make that experience. It is a shame that the transmission didn't get a full workout also. ;-)
Old 01-29-2018, 05:35 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

==============================
Okay, I visually chewed on it.

It tasted Yummy!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:41 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Beautiful engine Larry. Looks like a modern day version of the real McCoy. Congratulations on a job well done !!!

===================================
This picture is IT!

I want this "Look" more or less.

This is the real McCoy right?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I've just learned that Tom Armstrong, a former owner/racer of #003 and a true gentleman, has passed away.
I am very sorry to hearing this.

Ty
Old 02-18-2018, 08:58 PM
zoraarcus
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dash Cluster Windlace?

I came across an image of #005. Was what appears to be similar to a kickpanel windlace surrounding the dash cluster, unique to #005 or did others have it also? Thanks in advance.
larry t
Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,566 Likes on 3,020 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

That's a new one on me, Larry, but all 5 cars have that windlace! I'd never noticed that before.

Good catch!

Jim
Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

That's a new one on me, Larry, but all 5 cars have that windlace! I'd never noticed that before.

Good catch!

Jim
I noticed it from old photos. Both by GS builds had the windlace.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts

Checking fitment.... Now to remove the flange for the linkage cover......
3" vertical clearance on #1 cylinder, so I may shorten the height of the hood scoop a bit....
Move the alternator to the right side, raise the power steering pump for a more direct shot with the steering....
Old 03-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

A little grinding, and the manifold is beginning to look more vintage. Once I'm done with the grinding, we will "texturize" those areas to match the rest of the casting.
Re-doing all of the wiring and installing a Holley ECU to control everything. While we're at it, my new flywheel, twin-disk clutch, spun aluminum bell housing, and slick-shifted TKO 600 road race gear box are going in. Note that I've removed the windshield wiper motor, which gives me space to relocate my coil packs.... I'm also likely to install a super-lightweight steering column which will save another 7 lbs.
I've been waiting years to work on my GS again, so I'm very happy right now...
Old 03-02-2018, 07:59 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Wow, Larry, somebody has been "makin' chips", as my son puts it when he cranks up his Fadal.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, Larry, somebody has been "makin' chips", as my son puts it when he cranks up his Fadal.
We have a Fadal too, but all of those chips were made by an old guy with a die-grinder....
Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

We have a Fadal too, but all of those chips were made by an old guy with a die-grinder....
I'm looking at the lines.... that old guy has a mighty steady hand.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 AM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 78 Posts

Mr Wizzard you do some fabulous work !!! It's enjoyable watching the new induction system come alive. For a era correct look I was thinking something like the normal top of a 63 era Rochester FI unit with some ribs and a cross flag emblem ?
I still have a GS as the Mongoose has not yet sold !! If that continues I may bring it home for awhile. My 66 coupe is lonely all by itself in the garage !! --- Ken

Last edited by keystonefarm; 03-15-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keystonefarm
Mr Wizard you do some fabulous work !!! It's enjoyable watching the new induction system come alive. For a era correct look I was thinking something like the normal top of a 63 era Rochester FI unit with some ribs and a cross flag emblem ?
I still have a GS as the Mongoose has not yet sold !! If that continues I may bring it home for awhile. My 66 coupe is lonely all by itself in the garage !! --- Ken
Life will be better if the car is near you. With mine at my shop, I really miss being able to sit in the garage staring at the car.
Work is progressing at a slow rate, but now I have installed the flywheel, clutch, bell housing, a custom-built hydraulic throw-out bearing, and of course, the new TKO600 road race trans. That was fun, with the car barely high enough to crawl-under! Aside from all the cuts and bruises, I think I broke a rib Monday leaning across the fender when the 1' stool I was standing on slipped on me. In my world, you do what ever it takes to get the job done....

Here's a pic of the manifold's underside with the plenum that's plumbed to each runner. The MAP sensor bolts into the hole.
We're preparing to wire-up the injectors before installing the manifold on the engine. The manifold looks a lot more vintage now. I may just use some heim-jointed linkage in the future, so it doesn't look so stylized. Using an aluminum power steering tank, and the holes in the alternator mount look very "Grand Sport" to me.....

Last edited by Mr. Wizzard; 03-14-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:02 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 78 Posts

Life will be better if the car is near you. With mine at my shop, I really miss being able to sit in the garage staring at the car.
Work is progressing at a slow rate, but now I have installed the flywheel, clutch, bell housing, a custom-built hydraulic throw-out bearing, and of course, the new TKO600 road race trans. That was fun, with the car barely high enough to crawl-under! Aside from all the cuts and bruises, I think I broke a rib Monday leaning across the fender when the 1' stool I was standing on slipped on me. In my world, you do what ever it takes to get the job done....

Here's a pic of the manifold's underside with the plenum that's plumbed to each runner. The MAP sensor bolts into the hole.
We're preparing to wire-up the injectors before installing the manifold on the engine. The manifold looks a lot more vintage now. I may just use some heim-jointed linkage in the future, so it doesn't look so stylized. Using an aluminum power steering tank, and the holes in the alternator mount look very "Grand Sport" to me.....
Watch yourself with a busted rib. We old farts don't heal as fast. Boy do I love the look of that intake !!! I like my Hilborn BUT I must admit that a side draft setup looks more era correct in a GS .
Old 03-14-2018, 11:37 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Had a chance to get the 1963 Grand Sport out to stretch her legs for the first time this afternoon! The L88 is a blast to drive!

Last edited by E.T.D. Corvettes; 03-14-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To *General Grand Sport Topic*

Old 03-15-2018, 11:35 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Had a chance to get the 1963 Grand Sport out to stretch her legs for the first time this afternoon! The L88 is a blast to drive!

The old girl still looks good. I do miss that car. That L88 comes on strong at about 4500 RPMs. If you have enough road it likes to cruise at 100.MPH. Try it. you will love it.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Thanks! She does indeed enjoy going fast!
Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! She does indeed enjoy going fast!
Can't wait to get mine back on the road....weather's too nice right now....

Made some more progress today. Wired up the manifold (still have some injector wire lengths to correct), and I believe that all of the engine-related wires that go up front will be routed under the manifold. Once I fill all the existing holes in the firewall, the engine compartment should be extremely "clean". A quick test-fit has shown that all of the connectors for the harness will be behind the firewall. We're minimizing all of the under-dash wiring, so everything fits without a lot of excess.

And now, Mike Garvie is thrilled with the brake bell-crank bracket. Mike's an incredible welder.....

The following users liked this post:
E.T.D. Corvettes (03-16-2018)

Quick Reply: *General Grand Sport Topic*