C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Value Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jrs 427
If the letter writers and the restampers get together....... the car could be worth triple value. There should be a financial section added to this forum so investors could check their values daily like some stock brokers. Silly me.... I thought they were just a cool car to drive.

Cobrastang;
I am truely sorry I hurt your little feelings. Why don't we call it " Your forum " and you alone can censor any replies. Does everything about you have to be Me and Money ???? This isn't a financial page, its about cars. Grow up , get a life. Everyone knows your perfect and we don't need reminding every day
Now, tell us again what perfect cars you have and don't leave out the details ( how many times they have been sat in ). Did they remove you from the FORD forum ? Please go back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Is there something in the air lately? The hostility lately is just plain sickening.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,782 Likes on 830 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Cobrastang;
I am truely sorry I hurt your little feelings. Why don't we call it " Your forum " and you alone can censor any replies. Does everything about you have to be Me and Money ???? This isn't a financial page, its about cars. Grow up , get a life. Everyone knows your perfect and we don't need reminding every day
Now, tell us again what perfect cars you have and don't leave out the details ( how many times they have been sat in ). Did they remove you from the FORD forum ? Please go back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let it go. He posed a legitimate question. Asked and answered.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:30 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Let it go. He posed a legitimate question. Asked and answered.
and i might add that any history helps to reduce conjecture....
Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can never have too much documentation.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:17 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

No, if you look at the majority of Jrs 427's and Saraholts posts they are about as negative as they come, usually when there is a question of value.

To answer the original question, don't know if it adds value, but it can't hurt.

Originally Posted by jkuzzy
Is there something in the air lately? The hostility lately is just plain sickening.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PTighe
You can never have too much documentation.
Exactly!! However as we learn from the variety of responses here it probably does depend upon the owner's or potential next buyer's interests and preferences. Some simply would not care one way or the other about the letters but I would want everything that I could possibly get on it for a notebook that becomes a part of the experience of owning the car. I would do it because it adds to the car's provenance. Too many cars out there are unknowns but the history of this one is known.

By the way, if you say you don't do it for the money then why do you negotiate buying or selling prices if the money side is not important?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Do you think having written letters from the original owner about the history of a midyear Vette helps the value?
I ask because I spoke to the original owner of my 66 427 Mosport car the other day and she gave me some more information on the car. She told me a story about how her and her husband drove the car from California to Michigan, where they were originally from, and back to California one 4th of July. Then, in 1974 her husband took the engine apart and never put it back together. She said he always liked to take things apart, but wasnt really good at getting around to putting them back together. So, that would explain why the cylinder heads were so pitted. He took the body off the car in 1990 and started to work on the chassis, but then passed away in 1994 from lung cancer at the age of 50. She also informed me that the tachometer continually broke. She said they took it back to the dealership multiple times, but finally gave up after about the 5th time having it repaired. So, that explains why the tach said 17,500 miles when i purchased the car. She really didnt know how many miles they put on it, but that they really just drove it around town, minus the one big trip, and that from 69 to 74 she drove it to and from work, which was just a few blocks away. Judging by the condition of the frame, no hit body, other parts, and her statement, im going to guess that the car probably had around 40-60,000 miles before it was taken apart in 74. Not that it really matters with no way to prove it, but....
Anyway, she has some very interesting stories about the car and i think that if i can talk her into writing them all down it would be worthwhile.
Thoughts?
In artwork, "provenance" is the documentation of owner history. Therefore, since you know the original owner, ask her to write a factual history of that ownership:
" I am (owner #1) of 19XX Corvette VIN XXXXXXX which I bought new from (Dealer). It was (body and interior color) with the following RPO options. I sold this car to (2nd owner) in (month/year) etc, etc."

Quick Reply: Value Question