C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What ever happened to the McLeod 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Quite simply - the Tremec is an internal rail system and doesn't use linkage rods is partially the notchy feeling. There are gobs, GOBS of Tremecs in everything from grocery getters to pavement eating drag cars. Yes, it takes getting used to and the 2-3 speed shift is a PITA to do properly. I guide (don't SLAM) the shifter forward with an open palm STRAIGHT at my C1 TEMP heater **** and let the detent spring do its job....that works pretty well.
What does a T5 use, and why dont I feel the same thing in my Camaro with a tremec? Not arguing just need to understand.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by sixty4
What does a T5 use, and why dont I feel the same thing in my Camaro with a tremec? Not arguing just need to understand.
I'm out of my depth at this point and freely admit it. I've heard theories about using ATF fluid instead of SynchroMesh and upgrading the TKO 'blocker rings' to make things smoother (and there are 3rd party companies that specialize in this).

I love my Tremec but I don't recall ever driving a stock classic muscle car with anything close to the smooth operation of my original BW T-10 (now comfortably sitting in storage)...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,468 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Hurst Driveline Conversions has their 5 speed TKO 600 Tremecs in stock and ready to ship. I had mine 3 days after time of purchase
Don't keep us in the dark! Tell us the good, the bad and the other on this. I'm still shopping! Dennis
Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Quite simply - the Tremec is an internal rail system and doesn't use linkage rods is partially the notchy feeling. There are gobs, GOBS of Tremecs in everything from grocery getters to pavement eating drag cars. Yes, it takes getting used to and the 2-3 speed shift is a PITA to do properly. I guide (don't SLAM) the shifter forward with an open palm STRAIGHT at my C1 TEMP heater **** and let the detent spring do its job....that works pretty well.
.....they do feel differently. the muncies and b/w's are easy but a bit sloppy even with a hurst and can hang in 2 gears at once when going out of reverse
the tko is more positive and yes a bit notchy, but once you are used to it, the 2-3 shift becomes second nature and easy to do and yes i have power shifted my tko with no ill effects...jmo....
Old 05-20-2013, 05:10 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
That said, if Autogear ever brings the 5 to market, I would be first in line based on the terrific quality of their new Muncie 4 speeds.
Bill
They would definitely make a quality 5-speed. However, I recall a mechanic friend telling me ten long years ago that Autogear was working on their Muncie-replacement 5-speed, so my guess is that Autogear stopped working on it or it is on a far back burner.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Default my tremac experience

My 67 BB has a keisler tremac that I installed when I did a frame off on the car. Recently I purchased a honda s2000 for a fun car. Many people say it has the best shifting trans in the world. I spent a lot of time correctly setting the tremac up...I would say the tremac shifts just as well as the honda s2000 and is more fun to shift. I like what people on the internet describe as notchey. The secret is to carefully line up bellhousing and shim up body to get tailshaft as high as possible.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by newcastlegreg
My 67 BB has a keisler tremac that I installed when I did a frame off on the car. Recently I purchased a honda s2000 for a fun car. Many people say it has the best shifting trans in the world. I spent a lot of time correctly setting the tremac up...I would say the tremac shifts just as well as the honda s2000 and is more fun to shift. I like what people on the internet describe as notchey. The secret is to carefully line up bellhousing and shim up body to get tailshaft as high as possible.
I think the biggest complaint with the Tremec is shifting at higher rpm. Some here like to spin em up, and the consensus seems to be they don't like it very much. I am not speaking from experience however.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:43 AM
BryanKlingele
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 121 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Confirming no one has tried these with 20/21 wheels? I like them, but if they rub this causes an issue.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:06 AM
CaptainEgg
Almost Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

You realize this is a 9 year old post?

Quick Reply: What ever happened to the McLeod 5 speed?