C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vin tags and new frames

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 AM
cpovette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vin tags and new frames

I have a C1. If a discard the old frame which by the way has not vin umber on it and buy a Morrison frame and place the body on it which does have a vin plate, will there be any legal hang ups because the frame, engine (crate) and body aren't all have the same vinnumbers? I building a restomod.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I thought the C1's VIN tag were located on the steering column?

Of course with anything you need to check with your local area: but I don't think swapping the frames will violate any laws..Altering the actual VIN will.

Now if your VIN tag was riveted to the frame and you chopped it off and put it on a new frame.... Then that's a big no-no.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 666 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugly

Of course with anything you need to check with your local area: but I don't think swapping the frames will violate any laws..Altering the actual VIN will.

Now if your VIN tag was riveted to the frame and you chopped it off and put it on a new frame.... Then that's a big no-no.
53-mid60 were attached to the body, not the steering column.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

On a new, VIN-less frame, I would get the proper size stamps and put the body VIN number on the frame, in the correct location for security and ID purposes if the car is ever stolen.

I did that with my '37 Ford pickup streetrod and its TCI frame.

Doug
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,369 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by cpovette
I have a C1. If a discard the old frame which by the way has not vin umber on it and buy a Morrison frame and place the body on it which does have a vin plate, will there be any legal hang ups because the frame, engine (crate) and body aren't all have the same vinnumbers? I building a restomod.
If its an original frame, the VIN is there, you just cant find it. If not, maybe its been replaced once already.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I recommend before adding a VIN number to a frame, or removing a VIN number from a frame, that you check your state statutes.

The rules vary widely from state to state. Some states don't care either way, some states allow one or the other, some states don't allow either.

I am not considering the situation where it is done without the knowledge of the state.

The fact that it may have already been one without consequences (so far) is not pertinent.

Find out what your state requires, and then decide how best to proceed.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

It is generally illegal to alter, deface or tamper with a manufactures serial number, but I have never seen anything anywhere that says you can't stamp one on a virgin frame, or if you want to, replicate an existing serial number any untold number of times on an existing frame.

But, i have never looked up the statutes in every state. A lot of it comes down to intent.

Doug
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM
cpovette
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZDoug
It is generally illegal to alter, deface or tamper with a manufactures serial number, but I have never seen anything anywhere that says you can't stamp one on a virgin frame, or if you want to, replicate an existing serial number any untold number of times on an existing frame.

But, i have never looked up the statutes in every state. A lot of it comes down to intent.

Doug
Where was the internet when I was growing up. Turns out that the first 1400 1960 Corvettes had the vin tag on the door jamb then they placed it on the steering column. So I dodged a bullet. If anyone knows different jump in.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

In many states, the VIN follows the frame. If you replaced the frame, then your state may consider this a new car for which they'll want you to apply for a new title and a new registration. Check your state's statutes.

Check your old frame carefully. There should be a VIN stamped on the top facing driver's side frame rail under where the seat would be. It may be hard to see. When you sell the car, an astute buyer will look for this stamping. A surprising number of police departments know about this secret stamping.

You may be lowering the value of the car by replacing the frame. Buyers of these cars are fanatical about originality.

Does your existing car have a title?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
In many states, the VIN follows the frame. If you replaced the frame, then your state may consider this a new car for which they'll want you to apply for a new title and a new registration. Check your state's statutes.

Check your old frame carefully. There should be a VIN stamped on the top facing driver's side frame rail under where the seat would be. It may be hard to see. When you sell the car, an astute buyer will look for this stamping. A surprising number of police departments know about this secret stamping.

You may be lowering the value of the car by replacing the frame. Buyers of these cars are fanatical about originality.

THis is here it would be. I too did not think i had one,but was able to find it with the help of mike colleta and others member that guided me to the locattion. It was faint but it was there.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Much to do about nothing

Originally Posted by Dale002
THis is here it would be. I too did not think i had one,but was able to find it with the help of mike colleta and others member that guided me to the locattion. It was faint but it was there.
I'm the first one to jump up about changing vin tags on the body or steering gear. But the frame, big deal, who will ever see it. The body covers it. Are you telling me the DOT will want you to remove your body to see number. Just change frames and say nothing to nobody.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I'm the first one to jump up about changing vin tags on the body or steering gear. But the frame, big deal, who will ever see it. The body covers it. Are you telling me the DOT will want you to remove your body to see number. Just change frames and say nothing to nobody.
I never said anything about DOT wanting the body removed. I just said that I found my VIN on the frame once I removed the body . When I registered the car I had to have a state trooper come and verified the vin because it was out of state car. All he did was go into my parts shed and look at the VIN tag on the steering column.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
If the car comes into question regarding the VIN, then yes, the authorities may very well check the frame VIN.

When it gets to this point, they usually aren't very nice or careful about it.
Cutting a hole in the floor so they can see the frame number has happened before.

Many states do require that the car be re-registered if the frame has been changed.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
cpovette
Advanced

Originally Posted by chris ritchie

Yes I have title
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

All he did was go into my parts shed and look at the VIN tag on the steering column.[/QUOTE]

What were your expectations ? Just another old car that needs VIN verification to the title so proper fees can be charged.
Was the task too difficult for the local police ? I guess it was a good diversion from chasing tail lights for the state.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

The VIN tags are on the bodies - however, when you remove the body from the chassis, be aware that the numbers are stamped in 2 places (at least on the C2s) on the driver side rails. Where it becomes a problem is when you take exchange out your frames/chassis on a Restomod project and sell off the original chassis without grinding the stamped numbers. What has happened is that a new builder uses the chassis number to re-issue a new title. If this happens in the same state, now you have 2 cars with the same VIN and a legal disaster to prove who owns the REAL VIN.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
The VIN tags are on the bodies - however, when you remove the body from the chassis, be aware that the numbers are stamped in 2 places (at least on the C2s) on the driver side rails. Where it becomes a problem is when you take exchange out your frames/chassis on a Restomod project and sell off the original chassis without grinding the stamped numbers. What has happened is that a new builder uses the chassis number to re-issue a new title. If this happens in the same state, now you have 2 cars with the same VIN and a legal disaster to prove who owns the REAL VIN.
Catch 22.

In some states it is illegal to remove or alter existing vehicle identification markings. This is sometimes caviated with an statement like "with intent to commit fraud" or some such phrase. But not always.

Suppose you removed the VIN derivative from you chassis, and then put it up for sale. And, in your state, removing the ID is illegal for ANY reason. You sell it to...uh oh...a law enforcement officer.

This is not a discussion about what a person will get away with, it is a discussion about what constitutes a crime in your state.

Check your state statutes.

I remember being offered a 58 Corvette many years ago. The car consisted of a rear tub section (badly beat up, no trim), an original VIN tag, a two foot section of the frame that had the VIN numbers stamped on it, and a title. VIN was legal (not stolen, etc.) but buying that car wasn't (at least in my state).

I heard that this collection of parts did sell. The buyer had a 58 without any paperwork, or the possibility of getting any paperwork (interpret that however you wish). Now the buyer had a clear title, a good VIN tag and the matching frame numbers. The frame with the VIN was sectioned into the existing frame (which also removed the old numbers), VIN tag attached, and presto, a clear and legal 58 Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Vin tags and new frames

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 PM
cpovette
Advanced

Originally Posted by emccomas
Catch 22.

In some states it is illegal to remove or alter existing vehicle identification markings. This is sometimes caviated with an statement like "with intent to commit fraud" or some such phrase. But not always.

Suppose you removed the VIN derivative from you chassis, and then put it up for sale. And, in your state, removing the ID is illegal for ANY reason. You sell it to...uh oh...a law enforcement officer.

This is not a discussion about what a person will get away with, it is a discussion about what constitutes a crime in your state.

Check your state statutes.

I remember being offered a 58 Corvette many years ago. The car consisted of a rear tub section (badly beat up, no trim), an original VIN tag, a two foot section of the frame that had the VIN numbers stamped on it, and a title. VIN was legal (not stolen, etc.) but buying that car wasn't (at least in my state).

I heard that this collection of parts did sell. The buyer had a 58 without any paperwork, or the possibility of getting any paperwork (interpret that however you wish). Now the buyer had a clear title, a good VIN tag and the matching frame numbers. The frame with the VIN was sectioned into the existing frame (which also removed the old numbers), VIN tag attached, and presto, a clear and legal 58 Vette.
Isn't the winner the owner of the title?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Silence is golden.
Just do it, if you have a valid title and the vin tag and body put it together and enjoy it.
If you ask questions to the "authorities" you are opening up a can of legal worms.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pugly

C1's never had a vin tag riveted to the frame. They were either screwed to the door jamb (53 through middle 1960) or welded to the steering column from mid 1960 through 1962. The frame was stamped with the vin in 2 places.

Quick Reply: Vin tags and new frames