C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Just Joined

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM
plumbchris
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Joined

Hi I have a question for some one if you can help me clear this up I have a 62 corvette I bought five years ago from an estate in Virginia . I had i shipped here to me in California paid the hudge taxes got it regitered no problem. Recently we have decided to move to another country, Problem is they wont let this car in. So I am selling the car , I had a prospective buyer come by and told me the vin tag was attached with tiny screws and not welded? Was that way as far as I know from the get go. Now I have looked and some of these were rivited? could be some one replaced the rivits with these screws? The car came from a very well to do man In a prominent area I am quite sure he did nothing wrong here.. Any Ideas??
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome.

62's came with spot welded VIN tag to the engine compartment side of the steering col.

They were not attached by rivets or screws. From what I have read, the steering col. attached stainless steel VIN tag started in early 1960. Prior to that, the VIN tag was attached to the driver's side door jamb and was aluminum.

But the steering col. spot welding can be somewhat failure prone, so some may try to reattach it (hence screws or rivets).

If your VIN tag is spot welded, that is original!

If screwed or riveted, then that is not original.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 07-01-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,478 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

John, I think the better phrase may be, "If screwed or riveted, then that is not correct". The OP may think the vin tag is wrong for the car. Dennis
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 528 Likes on 377 Posts

Dennis,

You are "correct". VIN tag hopefully is original, but method of attachment is only correct if spot welded.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Just Joined

Quick Reply: Just Joined