C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

60 Engine Stamp Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 60 Engine Stamp Pad Question

Sorry, If this has been answered before. I've read other similar threads but never got anything definitive on this...

My C1 was built March 31, 1960. I'm trying to determine if it has the original engine. I noticed there is no serial number on the stamp pad. Only the F number with the date and engine type.

I found this blurb from a numbers book in another thread.

1957 & Later: Beginning with 1957, continuous engine serial numbering was discounted. Engines were prefixed with a source designation ("F" for 1955-66 Flint small blocks; "V" for 1967 and later Flint small blocks; and "T" for 1965 and later Tonawanda, New York, big blocks); followed by three of four digits representing the date of manufacture [first one or two digits representing the month("1" through "12" used 1957-59; "01" through "12" used beginning sometime in 1960; the last two digits representing the date of the month ("01 through "31"")]; ending with the engine type suffix code as indicated in the Engine Identification Codes section of this Spec Guide. Also, beginning sometime during 1960, a VIN derivative stamping was added to the engine pad, mating the engine to the vehicle in which it was installed.

A strict reading of this last sentence seems to indicate that some early '60s vettes may not have the serial number on the engine pad..

I've read a couple other places that the serial numbers being to be added mid to late 1960.

Given there is no serial number on the stamp pad is there any way to tell if this engine is original or not?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Engine

The first thing you need to tell us is what the casting number of the block is. Then tell us the casting date. Both can be found on the bellhousing flange at the rear of the block.
Boyan
Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Nope, a March car would have been way too late not to have a VIN derivative stamped on the pad. I believe by March, they had made the switch to gang holders for the stamping. Early cars had a VIN derivative that was stamped one character at a time by hand. They looked like they were stamped by a drunk! I have had a couple of December and January 60's and the VIN stamp on the pad was really ugly.

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 08-18-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:26 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

A 1960 Corvette would have used a block casting # of 3756519 for all engine/HP configurations.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Nope, a March car would have been way too late not to have a VIN derivative stamped on the pad. I believe by March, they had made the switch to gang holders for the stamping
The engine in my '60 is consistent with this. Assembled on April 14, the VIN derivative is gang stamped.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Hmmm... My stamp better resembles the drunken sailor method. The engine stamp is far to the right (too far to squeeze a serial number in.) The numbers and letters are definitely not straight so I'm thinking not gang stamped.

This guy seems to have the same issue: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

I found this on another thread:

"The engine assembly stamp should read F4XXCQ, where the "XX" are two numbers for the day of the month; that assumes the engine was built in April (the "4"). That stamp will be on the inboard end of the pad, and any 1's in the engine plant stamp will probably be an "I" character. The last six digits of the VIN will be stamped (in a different font) on the outboard end of the pad, and any 1's will be a number "1", not an "I" character. The block casting date is typically 1-6 weeks prior to the stamped engine assembly date, but full judging credit is given as long as it's no more than six months prior to the car's final assembly date."

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-stamped.html

My Engine stamp is F1105CR. Is it possible the engine was manufactured in Nov of '59 and went out in the car in March of 60?

Last edited by Tim777; 08-19-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim777
Hmmm... My stamp better resembles the drunken sailor method. The casting stamp is far to the right (too far to squeeze a serial number in.) The numbers and letters are definitely not straight so I'm thinking not gang stamped.

This guy seems to have the same issue: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

"The engine assembly stamp should read F4XXCQ, where the "XX" are two numbers for the day of the month; that assumes the engine was built in April (the "4"). That stamp will be on the inboard end of the pad, and any 1's in the engine plant stamp will probably be an "I" character. The last six digits of the VIN will be stamped (in a different font) on the outboard end of the pad, and any 1's will be a number "1", not an "I" character. The block casting date is typically 1-6 weeks prior to the stamped engine assembly date, but full judging credit is given as long as it's no more than six months prior to the car's final assembly date."

My Engine stamp is F1105CR. Is it possible the engine was manufactured in Nov of '59 and went out in the car in March of 60?
That's the date when the engine was assembled, and yes, that's a viable timeline albeit a bit outside the norm.

There's no such thing as a "casting stamp". The casting number is the date the block was cast at the foundry, and it is raised cast numbers at the back top of the block behind the intake manifold and in front of the bell housing.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
That's the date when the engine was assembled, and yes, that's a viable timeline albeit a bit outside the norm.

There's no such thing as a "casting stamp". The casting number is the date the block was cast at the foundry, and it is raised cast numbers at the back top of the block behind the intake manifold and in front of the bell housing.

Sorry, I'm new to this and my terminology is horrible.

I found the casting number but I'm having trouble seeing it. I need to get a better light on it. This number is just a date?

So, given the information I have is there anyway to confirm or reject that presumption this is the original engine?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:40 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Sorry, I'm new to this and my terminology is horrible.

I found the casting number but I'm having trouble seeing it. I need to get a better light on it. This number is just a date?

So, given the information I have is there anyway to confirm or reject that presumption this is the original engine?
The casting number is on the driver's side. It's not a date, but a part number assigned to the block by GM. The casting date, is in about the same location, but on the passenger side of the block.

If there's no VIN derivative on the stamp pad, then it's highly unlikely that it's the original engine. As others have said, by March Chevrolet was stamping the VIN on the block of all Corvette engines.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The casting number is on the driver's side. It's not a date, but a part number assigned to the block by GM. The casting date, is in about the same location, but on the passenger side of the block.

If there's no VIN derivative on the stamp pad, then it's highly unlikely that it's the original engine. As others have said, by March Chevrolet was stamping the VIN on the block of all Corvette engines.

Good to know. I will assume it's not the original engine then. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2015, 04:28 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Good to know. I will assume it's not the original engine then. Thanks!
Tim,
Here are the locations of the casting numbers and the date cast.

Dave Z
Old 08-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Thanks! I'm assuming the casting date should be shortly before the casting number?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:15 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Hmmm... My stamp better resembles the drunken sailor method. The engine stamp is far to the right (too far to squeeze a serial number in.) The numbers and letters are definitely not straight so I'm thinking not gang stamped.

The VIN stamp was done at the Saint Louis on the assembly line, while the engine stamp was done at the engine plant. The early 60 cars were hand stamped only until they could get the gang stamp made and delivered to Saint Louis. In the meantime the stamping was done one character at a time by hand, but the engine stamp was already in place when the engine left the engine plant. There is absolutely no doubt that by March, that the VIN should have been stamped on the block, and most likely would have been gang stamped by this late date.
A January car would have been hand stamped, and a November car would not have been stamped at all. Prevailing wisdom says that when the VIN tag moved from the door pillar to the steering column as required by federal law, the VIN derivative appeared on the stamp pad at the same time. If you have a car with a VIN tag on the steering column, you should have a VIN derivative stamped on the pad.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-22-2015, 08:09 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by John McGraw
The early 60 cars were hand stamped only until they could get the gang stamp made and delivered to Saint Louis. In the meantime the stamping was done one character at a time by hand, but the engine stamp was already in place when the engine left the engine plant.
A January car would have been hand stamped, and a November car would not have been stamped at all.
Consistent with you you wrote, John, here's an example of a pad from a late January engine. The VIN derivative was clearly not gang stamped:

Jim
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Consistent with you you wrote, John, here's an example of a pad from a late January engine. The VIN derivative was clearly not gang stamped:
Jim
Here is the stamp pad on mine. I don't think there is a VIN derivative that I can see. It's clearly not gang stamped.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:01 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Here is the stamp pad on mine. I don't think there is a VIN derivative that I can see. It's clearly not gang stamped.
Interesting pad. The "6" is consistent with other original pads I've seen (but I do NOT claim to be an expert on pads!).

Can you use a rag and some solvent (lacquer thinner) to clean the pad? Use no abrasives! Use no chisels or other sharp objects! Use only a soft rag and solvent. Then post a couple of more pictures.

Jim
Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Interesting pad. The "6" is consistent with other original pads I've seen (but I do NOT claim to be an expert on pads!).

Can you use a rag and some solvent (lacquer thinner) to clean the pad? Use no abrasives! Use no chisels or other sharp objects! Use only a soft rag and solvent. Then post a couple of more pictures.

Jim

I'll do that. I will get some pictures of the casting number and date too. Thanks Jim!

Get notified of new replies

To 60 Engine Stamp Pad Question

Old 08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Tim777
Instructor

I'll do that. I will get some picture

s of the casting number and date too. Thanks Jim!
Ok, I got a chance to look at my casting numbers. It looks like my engine is from a '57. My block # is 3737739 and the casting date is
10/30/57 (J307). Slightly disappointing. I thought it was the original engine.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Ok, I got a chance to look at my casting numbers. It looks like my engine is from a '57. My block # is 3737739 and the casting date is
10/30/57 (J307). Slightly disappointing. I thought it was the original engine.
That's a '58 block. September 6th was the last day of '57 production, and '58 production started on October 14th.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Tim777
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's a '58 block. September 6th was the last day of '57 production, and '58 production started on October 14th.
Thanks! That's good to know. A little disappointing. I thought it was the original engine.

Quick Reply: 60 Engine Stamp Pad Question