C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 396 l78 425hp coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by John B

I'm no NCRS numbers guy, but I have worked on over 1200 vettes & know when 1 hasn't been messed with. This thing is pretty untouched other than engine & paint prior to 79. I bought it a few weeks ago. Planned on putting a 396 back in it. I have had a few things go bad lately & needed to round up some cash. I asked because last minute I decided to go to local large GM show with a for sale sign. I have 3 offers hi is $55k. Sorry about lack of pictures been awhile since I posted & thought you still had to have pics hosted which I don't. When I have more time I will scan the 396 study.
Not much to go by with these pictures but I will take a stab at the value.First a few questions.What is the vin#? How is the body under that paint? I can see that it has a '66-'67 grille. Lends me to think that front end damage at some point. Why else change it.How is the chrome? Is the original rear end still in it? Is the TI setup still there? How does the car run and run and drive? Besides being mentioned a survey are there any original documents showing what the car was born with. Just looking at these pictures take the $55K and run.
This is car that can easily turn into a money pit. If one was to try and put a '65 396 motor and put the original pieces around it will go bad in a hurry. Original dated restored carb if you can find one $3K,intake and ex. manifolds $2K,TI setup $1500. That is without the 962 block and 208 heads as well as the machine work and assembly costs. If you were to pay $55K and do all of this you would have near $70K. You still have not touched the paint. Then you would still have a nom green/green coupe. I would say low to mid $40s. Having said that there is a triple black 2 top original 396 roadster for sale near me. Above average paint,decent interior,clean frame,side exhaust and set of repop KO wheels and redline tires.Has had a '66 327 in it since the 70s. Same owner since '74. Car has been stored in a clean dry garage for the last 24yrs. Car can be bought for $45K. So 2 top black convertible with side pipes and KO wheels vs a green/green coupe. You make the call.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:02 PM
1965corvette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 corvette

I'm no NCRS numbers guy, but I have worked on over 1200 vettes & know when 1 hasn't been messed with. This thing is pretty untouched other than engine & paint prior to 79. I bought it a few weeks ago. Planned on putting a 396 back in it. I have had a few things go bad lately & needed to round up some cash. I asked because last minute I decided to go to local large GM show with a for sale sign. I have 3 offers hi is $55k. Sorry about lack of pictures been awhile since I posted & thought you still had to have pics hosted which I don't. When I have more time I will scan the 396 study.
The survey was done By Dana Forester from NCRS. I know your car pretty well. I was one of the people that pulled the car out of the garage that it was in for 29 Years. A friend of mine got the car up and running again. It is a real 396 Car. My Friend was the one that put the car on the survey. You got a Great Buy on the Car at $35,900.00. I was there the day before you purchased the Car. I ended up buying 1961 Corvette. If you have any questions about the car give me a call at 651-216-5685 Mike
Old 06-12-2016, 07:34 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965corvette
The survey was done By Dana Forester from NCRS. I know your car pretty well. I was one of the people that pulled the car out of the garage that it was in for 29 Years. A friend of mine got the car up and running again. It is a real 396 Car. My Friend was the one that put the car on the survey. You got a Great Buy on the Car at $35,900.00. I was there the day before you purchased the Car. I ended up buying 1961 Corvette. If you have any questions about the car give me a call at 651-216-5685 Mike
I wish I got the car for $35,900.00
Old 06-12-2016, 07:49 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
Not much to go by with these pictures but I will take a stab at the value.First a few questions.What is the vin#? How is the body under that paint? I can see that it has a '66-'67 grille. Lends me to think that front end damage at some point. Why else change it.How is the chrome? Is the original rear end still in it? Is the TI setup still there? How does the car run and run and drive? Besides being mentioned a survey are there any original documents showing what the car was born with. Just looking at these pictures take the $55K and run.
This is car that can easily turn into a money pit. If one was to try and put a '65 396 motor and put the original pieces around it will go bad in a hurry. Original dated restored carb if you can find one $3K,intake and ex. manifolds $2K,TI setup $1500. That is without the 962 block and 208 heads as well as the machine work and assembly costs. If you were to pay $55K and do all of this you would have near $70K. You still have not touched the paint. Then you would still have a nom green/green coupe. I would say low to mid $40s. Having said that there is a triple black 2 top original 396 roadster for sale near me. Above average paint,decent interior,clean frame,side exhaust and set of repop KO wheels and redline tires.Has had a '66 327 in it since the 70s. Same owner since '74. Car has been stored in a clean dry garage for the last 24yrs. Car can be bought for $45K. So 2 top black convertible with side pipes and KO wheels vs a green/green coupe. You make the call.
I personally wouldn't paint this car. Its too nice. In NCRS world you would have to pay $3000 for a carb to get your points. At the end of the day its a NOM Big Block car in really nice 1979 condition. If I can keep it I will probably put functioning 396 L78 with same parts to function the same for a small fraction of spring 65 dating everything. The car will function same & be of value. LOL I think the green & the coupe are plusses for this car. Only 618 coupes. Many prefer coupe looks now.
If there is a survivor 396 like this for $45000 buy it. I have had many people offer to buy mine without trying to sell it.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:57 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Many prefer coupe looks now.
X2. Removing the sexiest part of the midyear vettes just isn't an option.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

I personally wouldn't paint this car. Its too nice. In NCRS world you would have to pay $3000 for a carb to get your points. At the end of the day its a NOM Big Block car in really nice 1979 condition. If I can keep it I will probably put functioning 396 L78 with same parts to function the same for a small fraction of spring 65 dating everything. The car will function same & be of value. LOL I think the green & the coupe are plusses for this car. Only 618 coupes. Many prefer coupe looks now.
If there is a survivor 396 like this for $45000 buy it. I have had many people offer to buy mine without trying to sell it.
OK, I ask again.How is the body under that paint? I can see that it has a '66-'67 grille. Lends me to think that front end damage at some point. Why else change it.How is the chrome? Is the original rear end still in it? Is the TI setup still there? How does the car run and run and drive? Besides being mentioned a survey are there any original documents showing what the car was born with?

Quick Reply: 1965 396 l78 425hp coupe