C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:31 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by my63vette
I agree with Fyreline. Its just crazy how people are now days and quite frankly I'm tired of it. I recently had a guy open his car door into my car at a club car show event, and put a huge gouge all the way down to the primer. When I called him on it, he denied it and told me to pound sand. I explained to him that I had a witness and he still denied it. So, i sued him in court and he was ordered to pay for the repair. It took three months to get my money but I got it. My point is, these are the type of people out there and sometimes they are the very people in our own clubs.

I've got to the point where I keep my vehicle in my sight and I'm not nice when I catch people sitting against or touching my car. It just doesn't pay to be nice anymore.
Good for you for taking it that far! Maybe it will change that idiots behavior...
Old 10-26-2016, 03:41 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

It's a shame because there are family guys who bring their kids out and explain to them about the cars, keep their kids controlled and enjoy seeing what they don't have or can't have in their current situation. But the 5% or so who are just oblivious, miscreants who probably drive around in a clunker car sitting on top of 30 lbs of fast food wrappings, rotting food, dirty clothes, cigarette butts and other assorted trash - just coming off a 24 hour drunk - brought their Meth dealer buddy with them - buy beer with food stamps - think disability pay is earned income - and their definition of a classic is a 1980 Trans Am with velour interior - give them all a bad rep (apologies to anyone with a 1980 Trans Am - with velour interior).
Old 10-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiritOf76
Signage would help if people actually could read things. If there was a sign that said "CAUTION: this sign has sharp edges!" Someone would get cut on it.
actually the problem is it's not in 'Spanish' ..............
Old 10-26-2016, 04:32 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

You guys are a bunch cowardly weenies. I caught a guy RUBBING with his bare hand on the 56 at a cruise-in a few years ago. I didn't ask him to quit----------I TOLD him to quit. He made a smart a$$ remark and I hammered right between the running lights. Knocked him down on the parking lot. He finally got up, got on his bicycle and rode off. Never saw nor heard of him again!
My wife moved her chair to another area and pretended she didn't know me.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 10-26-2016 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
roadking40 (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 04:41 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

You can't fix stupid people, but you can sure as hell avoid them. I don't participate in any of the above listed events. I do use my cars, but have so far been lucky and have had people ask permission for photo ops. The whole park-your-car-on-the-lawn, and sit behind it in a lawn chair all day concept is completely lost on me.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:43 PM
tomy62
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I feel everyone's pain. Been into various types of cars for years and can recall several incidents but not until coming into my 62 Corvette a couple years ago have I seen the crazy behavior displayed. First year I owned it, a teen girl started to get into the car at a show but wanted to climb (step) into it by just going OVER the door! I was with a group and we all yelled simultaneously. She changed her mind and quickly walked away. What do they think about? Anyway, that and a few other instances have made me pick any shows now very carefully.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Vette60
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Geez. I started going to cruises with my Dad when I was a kid and the first thing that he told me was DO NOT TOUCH the cars! We always had fun looking and at times, if the owner was around, they might even offer for me to sit in their car. Never on my own.

I'm doing the same with my kids (10 and 7). Make sure they are looking but not touching the rides! I guess being around my Dad and the Vette all my life I know how much time/effort go into getting the cars the way they are.

I'm sure I would be pretty peeved about it if I saw it happen to the Vette.

R.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

here in europe on car shows the respect of most people who come is really good and they understand your connection with your car. this is mainly due to the fact almost all our car shows have an entrence fee. We also have much less car shows than in the US, so if you join one you are really comming for the cars.
personally I haven't had people ever lean to one of my classics in a show.

But in normal traffic on public roads it's just as bad as you guys give examples of. People just don't give a crap about your car.

once I pulled over at a gas station and while I was still sitting in my car someone stops next to me. He slams open his door and I hear a bang, I think OH ****! I got out and said to the guy "you just slammed your door into my car", he immediately gets into his car and wants to drive off. I hadn't had the time yet to check if there was damage, so I thought better just take a pic of his license plate. he spotted that I was taking a photo and decided to stop, and he got out really angry.

He says "man **** off even if you would have a dent then what?" I say to him then what? well then I have a dent!!! At that point I got some time to check if there was any damage.
luckily there wasn't any damage. but while I was inspecting the idiot got even angrier, Thankfully some truckers who saw what had happend joined in and their company made the idiot cool down.

So after all there wasn't any damage and we both continued our way but just the behaviour and disrespect of this guy!

btw: He was driving a 10 year old car with dings and dents everywhere and his whole windshield was blinded by cigarette packages laying on his dash.

excuse me if some points are hard to follow. English isn't my mother tongue

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 10-26-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:15 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by tomy62
I feel everyone's pain. Been into various types of cars for years and can recall several incidents but not until coming into my 62 Corvette a couple years ago have I seen the crazy behavior displayed. First year I owned it, a teen girl started to get into the car at a show but wanted to climb (step) into it by just going OVER the door! I was with a group and we all yelled simultaneously. She changed her mind and quickly walked away. What do they think about? Anyway, that and a few other instances have made me pick any shows now very carefully.
Tod and Buz used to jump into their car all the time that way.
Why bother opening the door?
Wait a minute, that was a 'movie' car, not 'your car'
Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
You guys are a bunch cowardly weenies. I caught a guy RUBBING with his bare hand on the 56 at a cruise-in a few years ago. I didn't ask him to quit----------I TOLD him to quit. He made a smart a$$ remark and I hammered right between the running lights. Knocked him down on the parking lot. He finally got up, got on his bicycle and rode off. Never saw nor heard of him again!
My wife moved her chair to another area and pretended she didn't know me.
Okay, let's try this: You're an idiot.

Tough guys are all over the place, and many are in jail.

If some tard wanted a payday, he's just gotta find the wanna be tough guy, and lean on his car, get punched, then he owns you (and probably your nice car). It's called assault and battery, and tough guys get owned by smart guys. Seen it happen, seen a tough guy cry like a baby before the judge.

Be careful out there, or Bubba will be your girlfriend and cell mate.

Be smart.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
The problem is that too many people either can't read or refuse to acknowledge what "Don't Touch" means.
Well, if the sign DOESN'T work, I do know from past experience what definitely does!

GET THE F**K AWAY FROM MY CAR!!!

Like I mentioned, I really don't like to be an A-hole but....... when push comes to shove.

Gary
Old 10-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Okay, let's try this: You're an idiot.

Tough guys are all over the place, and many are in jail.

If some tard wanted a payday, he's just gotta find the wanna be tough guy, and lean on his car, get punched, then he owns you (and probably your nice car). It's called assault and battery, and tough guys get owned by smart guys. Seen it happen, seen a tough guy cry like a baby before the judge.

Be careful out there, or Bubba will be your girlfriend and cell mate.

Be smart.
Not if I get him to swing first. Then it's called "self defense"!

Gary
Old 10-26-2016, 05:49 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
here in europe on car shows the respect of most people who come is really good and they understand your connection with your car. this is mainly due to the fact almost all our car shows have an entrence fee. We also have much less car shows than in the US, so if you join one you are really comming for the cars.
personally I haven't had people ever lean to one of my classics in a show.

But in normal traffic on public roads it's just as bad as you guys give examples of. People just don't give a crap about your car.

once I pulled over at a gas station and while I was still sitting in my car someone stops next to me. He slams open his door and I hear a bang, I think OH ****! I got out and said to the guy "you just slammed your door into my car", he immediately gets into his car and wants to drive off. I hadn't had the time yet to check if there was damage, so I thought better just take a pic of his license plate. he spotted that I was taking a photo and decided to stop, and he got out really angry.

He says "man **** off even if you would have a dent then what?" I say to him then what? well then I have a dent!!! At that point I got some time to check if there was any damage.
luckily there wasn't any damage. but while I was inspecting the idiot got even angrier, Thankfully some truckers joint in who saw what had happend and their company made the idiot cool down.

So after all there wasn't any damage and we both continued our way but just the behaviour and disrespect of this guy!

btw: He was driving a 10 year old car with dings and dents everywhere and his whole windshield was blinded by cigarette packages laying on his dash.

excuse me if some points are hard to follow. English isn't my mother tongue
You got your points across just fine, Twoon, I can't speak a word in Dutch.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:52 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

If you saw the stuff I set down on top of my car when it's in the garage you'd understand why I don't worry about someone leaning against it or sitting in it. I drive it everywhere I can and while I try to take good care of it, it's just a car.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
If you saw the stuff I set down on top of my car when it's in the garage you'd understand why I don't worry about someone leaning against it or sitting in it. I drive it everywhere I can and while I try to take good care of it, it's just a car.
I agree but, it's YOUR car and, of course, you're entitled to do whatever you'd like to it. Maybe I'm mistaken but, I believe the topic here was regarding peoples respect or should I say the lack of it, regarding someone else and their property.

Gary
Old 10-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Not if I get him to swing first. Then it's called "self defense"!

Gary
True, if done well, but be careful about your perp's witnesses.

The strong take the weak, but the smart take the strong.

A crafty guy with friends can take the first swing, and you can still be held liable, particularly in civil court. There is a segment out there (think: entitlement) that makes their living doing this, and their marks are "tough, proud guys" with assets. The more self-assured, the better.

Happens more often than most people think. Why? Because the tough guy slinks away quietly over shame, and the crafty guy doesn't blow his cover.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I agree but, it's YOUR car and, of course, you're entitled to do whatever you'd like to it. Maybe I'm mistaken but, I believe the topic here was regarding peoples respect or should I say the lack of it, regarding someone else and their property.

Gary
Of course I do what I want with my car and if somebody asks they are allowed to sit and such, but it's about the fact that other people don't have repect for your car and decide for themselves that if they want to sit on it and scratch it they just do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee

Old 10-26-2016, 06:22 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've been to Old Town Florida once since June and I drove my Tundra that day just to meet the new owner of my '61. About over it. Earlier in the year, I had my car puked on -- yes somebody puked on my PS split window fender while I ate dinner and a spectator told me about it when I returned to the car.

Next a Latino lady whose umpteen dozen kids were laying all over the headlight buckets got mad when I asked her to get them under control and said in a heavy accent that if I didn't want my car touched I shouldn't bring it there and made a big show of laying across the hood of the E-type Jaguar next to me (owner was absent) just to show her disdain for my attitude.

Foreigners are the worst - sorry about being PC but they just flat don't understand the muscle car era and the cars are just pretty extensions to the Florida theme park scene to be touched, leaned on and I even had one lady try to get in my '61.

Exceptions are the British, New Zealanders, Ozzies, Scandanavians, Germans and a few others. These countrymen seem to be true car people..
Damn racist.....

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Have posted the below previously:

Several years ago (before everyone had digital cameras), came back to the car and found a dad showing his son how to change the film in the camera, using my fender as a table........

A few years ago, was at a show at a local speciality car dealer, where they were grilling burgers, all just upwind from our cars. Spent several hours afterwards removing burger grease and rewaxing the Vette.

Plasticman
John, you forgot to mention that your car got 10% better mileage and 1/2 second less quarter mile time after the lube job. kwit your btching.

Have any of you guys noticed at the new car shows all the large family group offspring seem to migrate to the high end cars to drag their butts across all the leather upholstery. the upper crust car salesmen about have a stroke....
Old 10-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
True, if done well, but be careful about your perp's witnesses.

The strong take the weak, but the smart take the strong.

A crafty guy with friends can take the first swing, and you can still be held liable, particularly in civil court. There is a segment out there (think: entitlement) that makes their living doing this, and their marks are "tough, proud guys" with assets. The more self-assured, the better.

Happens more often than most people think. Why? Because the tough guy slinks away quietly over shame, and the crafty guy doesn't blow his cover.
I am in total agreement with you.

I'm 63 now and have absolutely nothing to prove. In fact, if I never have another physical confrontation for the rest of my days I would be very happy.

Realistically and unfortunately times and, people have changed so, while I WILL do my utmost to be reasonably calm, cool and collected l am human and, can only tolerate stupidity and disrespect to a certain degree.

Gary
Old 10-26-2016, 07:07 PM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Way to fix this .

I saw a guy sitting on the fender of my 2000 Cobra R model Mustang . I asked him if he had a car there . He took me over to it and showed it to me. I was more than happy to discuss it while I sat of his fender . He asked me to get of and I continued to talk about my car. When he got red I mentioned that I didn't like it any more than he did. As I walked away he gave me the finger . I turned around and he ran away. I let the air out of all 4 of his tires and walked back to my car and drove away. MY buddy was there to watch my car. Never saw the guy at a car show again. QUOTE=Mike Terry;1593335428]You just can not fix STUPID PEOPLE [/QUOTE]
The following users liked this post:
outrunm (10-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee