C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:08 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

You really have to keep a watch over your car at the shows. I found myself inadvertently watching the guys car next to me (he left to look at the other cars) and having to get into it with some rude people and their kids who were all over this poor guys car.

Since then, my tip is to buddy up with one or 2 cars around you and share the duty with some of the other car guys so you don't get stuck in one place all day if possible.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:16 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Gotta watch the cars at all times. However, I will let a kid sit in them for a photo, depending on what the mom looks like.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:16 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

As I said, I'd much rather be driving mine at speed than figuring out the best way to come out on top in a fist fight or trying to figure out how to police my stationary and helpless car. Not worth the effort or stress, IMO.........
Old 10-26-2016, 07:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sadly the days of the manly fisticuffs resolution to problems is long past. I'm not a big guy and have always been quick....several tried to sucker punch back in the day but nobody landed. Now, at 65, somebody throwing the first punch would prob clean my clock....but there is a special version of assault on "people over 65" that kicks in and it would prob cost them. And, of course, if I hit somebody they get a nice fat payday..

Car show, plenty of witnesses, old angry white guy with enough money for toys strikes out against poor person just trying to raise his 18 kids while looking for work (for 10 years). Yeah that'll lead you to the poorhouse.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-26-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Just another example of what has been LOST in our society----RESPECT---RESPECT for other PEOPLE and their PROPERTY.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

A number of years ago I drove my 55 Chevy to a show, parked it and went to register. When I came back the door was open and a guy sitting it. Didn't seem to bother him at all.
At a church cruise-in I had a hillbilly family walk over to my 62 Corvette and one of their children (I use that term loosely) wanted to sit in the car. Ok, my rule was pretty women and little kids are OK. Kid got in hillbilly mom came over with her new I-Phone to take a picture, dropped it on the fender and took out a big chip in the paint. She picked up her camera and never said a word. I opened the door for the kid, as he got out he held the door and I slammed his finger in the door. Blood everywhere, told her to go to the first aid tent and we quietly left.
No good deed goes un-punished.....
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

A number of years ago I drove my 55 Chevy to a show, parked it and went to register. When I came back the door was open and a guy sitting it. Didn't seem to bother him at all.
At a church cruise-in I had a hillbilly family walk over to my 62 Corvette and one of their children (I use that term loosely) wanted to sit in the car. Ok, my rule was pretty women and little kids are OK. Kid got in, hillbilly mom came over with her new I-Phone to take a picture, dropped it on the fender and took out a big chip in the paint. She picked up her camera and never said a word. I opened the door for the kid, as he got out he held the door and I slammed his thumb in the door. Blood everywhere, told her to go to the first aid tent and we quietly left.
No good deed goes UN-punished.....
Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by tomy62
I feel everyone's pain. Been into various types of cars for years and can recall several incidents but not until coming into my 62 Corvette a couple years ago have I seen the crazy behavior displayed. First year I owned it, a teen girl started to get into the car at a show but wanted to climb (step) into it by just going OVER the door! I was with a group and we all yelled simultaneously. She changed her mind and quickly walked away. What do they think about? Anyway, that and a few other instances have made me pick any shows now very carefully.

That's exactly what I've done as well. You and I live in a fairly close proximity to one another and, the Sacramento and surrounding areas abound with ALL of the aforementioned bottom feeders as, I'm sure you're quite aware.

Like GTO, I really prefer to drive my car rather than show it. Hell, we're showing them when we drive them anyway.

However, it is nice to be able to sit with friends and, make new ones as well so, like you, I pick the less "rowdy" type of shows and for the most part haven't run into any real problems with anyone as of yet. The typical "corvette authorities" yes but, I can tolerate them.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:00 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
At a church cruise-in I had a hillbilly family walk over to my 62 Corvette and one of their children (I use that term loosely) wanted to sit in the car. Ok, my rule was pretty women and little kids are OK. Kid got in hillbilly mom came over with her new I-Phone to take a picture, dropped it on the fender and took out a big chip in the paint. She picked up her camera and never said a word. I opened the door for the kid, as he got out he held the door and I slammed his finger in the door. Blood everywhere, told her to go to the first aid tent and we quietly left.
No good deed goes un-punished.....
Bruce,
YOU BAD!!
Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

I go to a few car shows every year. We walk around and view the other cars and talk to people that have questions about our car. Personally

I have never seen any one leaning against my car but when I got home one time, I could see a few scratches on the right front fender where someone had either leaned over it or put his hand on it and the ring on his hand scratched the paint. The scratches buffed out thank god, so now I put this in the windshield. Kind of makes them take notice.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:07 AM
tubman
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

At a church cruise-in I had a hillbilly family walk over to my 62 Corvette and one of their children (I use that term loosely) wanted to sit in the car. Ok, my rule was pretty women and little kids are OK. Kid got in, hillbilly mom came over with her new I-Phone to take a picture, dropped it on the fender and took out a big chip in the paint. She picked up her camera and never said a word. I opened the door for the kid, as he got out he held the door and I slammed his thumb in the door. Blood everywhere, told her to go to the first aid tent and we quietly left.
Let me get this straight : you intentionally injured a child for the transgressions of his mother. The fact that it happened at a church cruise-in is also troubling.

Last edited by tubman; 10-27-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Let's hope this is only internet boasting as there is no excuse for conduct such as this.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I got the impression it was a coincidental accident ???
Here is the sign I post but then I saw some jerk off teenager walk by and just touch the car with one finger just to show what a belligerent @hole he could be in front of his girlfriend...

On the flip side one British Mom brought her 12 or so year old son up to me and asked me to explain the whole old, muscle car thing to him because he didn't understand the entire mystique, etc..

Spent a pleasant 1/2 hour with the kid telling him about what it was like growing up in the 60's with the independence and powerful feeling a fast car could give a teenager...

Mom thanked me and a photo session with them in the '61 followed
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
teflonjohn (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 08:49 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tubman
Let me get this straight : you intentionally injured a child for the transgressions of his mother. The fact that it happened at a church cruise-in is also troubling.
I read that as he ACCIDENTALLY closed the poor kid's finger in the door? I can't see anyone intentionally injuring a child for the d-baggery of a parent.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:06 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by tubman
If intentional - that would be a bit cold even for me.

But, I doubt he did it intentionally. If unintentional, I would mark it up to Karma. Too bad it wasn't the women's finger.

Hope the kid was OK but when I grew up slamming a finger in the door or getting one pinched by an electric window was just a learning experience - we all went through it.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
If intentional - that would be a bit cold even for me.

But, I doubt he did it intentionally. If unintentional, I would mark it up to Karma. Too bad it wasn't the women's finger.

Hope the kid was OK but when I grew up slamming a finger in the door or getting one pinched by an electric window was just a learning experience - we all went through it.
Absolutely - what kid didn't get his fingers rolled up in a power window at least once ?

It's an American rite-of-passage
Old 10-27-2016, 09:45 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Absolutely - what kid didn't get his fingers rolled up in a power window at least once ?

It's an American rite-of-passage
LOL! I got caught by my neck when I was leaning out of my mom's caravan window and didn't know I was leaning on the power window button. Looking back it was comical.

Get notified of new replies

To Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee

Old 10-27-2016, 10:03 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I agree but, it's YOUR car and, of course, you're entitled to do whatever you'd like to it. Maybe I'm mistaken but, I believe the topic here was regarding peoples respect or should I say the lack of it, regarding someone else and their property.
Gary
Yes, you are correct that the topic is mostly about respecting the property of other people but my response was about those that resort to violence over someone leaning/sitting on their cars. I'll say it again, it's just a car and that kind of reaction is uncalled for.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

They aren't "just cars" IMO....they are emblematic symbols of a proud time in American history and a source of nostalgic pleasure to many if they are in some form of original trim.

Trust me, I would care a LOT less about somebody leaning on my '13 Tundra than my '63 split window...

Back to topic: Then there was the time I was eating in a popular restaurant with my '61 with the top down parked outside where I could see it.

Some weird 'poser' guy hung around the car, striking different poses and talking loudly on his cell phone (or pretending to). He never quite touched the car but stood near the driver's door like he had just exited the car and would smile, nod and wave as patrons gave him a thumbs up or a comment on their way by as they entered the restaurant. He was clearly projecting the image that he owned the car....a bit creepy.

This bit of strangeness went on for about 30 minutes before the dude departed.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-27-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
Yes, you are correct that the topic is mostly about respecting the property of other people but my response was about those that resort to violence over someone leaning/sitting on their cars. I'll say it again, it's just a car and that kind of reaction is uncalled for.
I never got pissed at someone because they lean on my car or something but I have had some times were I just mentioned something like watch your door or please don't do that. But never got physical.

after all a small seldom irritation won't keep me away from shows that's for sure!

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 10-27-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Guy Leaning Against my Car at Cars & Coffee