C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dash pad removal from housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:53 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default Dash pad removal from housing

after searching the site for info on how to remove my dash pads from the housing. i decided to tackle the job! well all posts had talked about using a small screw driver to wedge into the clips and pry them open. i did not like this after trying it on a couple clips because it caused a lot of force to put against the housing and pads, since i still had one good pad that i did not want to ruin i stopped. after further examination of poking and prodding at these tricky clips. i came up with great way to take them off.
i used a small set of what i would call side cutter pliers. the jaws of these pliers locks right into the grooves of the clips, and with no major down wards pressure to the housing or pads just squeeze the handle, and pop! the clip breaks open very easily! it took me about 10 mins too take both dash pads off, even the hard to get too radio side clips were no prob! i hope this is helpful too some else out there. if need be i can post some pics of the tool i used..enjoy! and god bless JOHNZ thank you for all your help sir....thank you everyone else...troy
Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 20round
after searching the site for info on how to remove my dash pads from the housing. i decided to tackle the job! well all posts had talked about using a small screw driver to wedge into the clips and pry them open. i did not like this after trying it on a couple clips because it caused a lot of force to put against the housing and pads, since i still had one good pad that i did not want to ruin i stopped. after further examination of poking and prodding at these tricky clips. i came up with great way to take them off.
i used a small set of what i would call side cutter pliers. the jaws of these pliers locks right into the grooves of the clips, and with no major down wards pressure to the housing or pads just squeeze the handle, and pop! the clip breaks open very easily! it took me about 10 mins too take both dash pads off, even the hard to get too radio side clips were no prob! i hope this is helpful too some else out there. if need be i can post some pics of the tool i used..enjoy! and god bless JOHNZ thank you for all your help sir....thank you everyone else...troy
Hi, yes pictures of tool

Jack
Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Hi, yes pictures of tool

Jack
file:///C:/Users/Owner/file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/IMG_0403.JPGDownlfile:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/IMG_0404.JPGoads/IMG_0402.JPG
Old 12-16-2016, 08:31 AM
20round
Drifting

file:///C:/Users/Owner/file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/IMG_0403.JPGDownlfile:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/IMG_0404.JPGoads/IMG_0402.JPG
whoops did not work.. i will try again..
Old 12-16-2016, 08:36 AM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Hi, yes pictures of tool

Jack

i hope these are clear enough for everyone...
The following users liked this post:
Jackfit (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:51 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

i hope these are clear enough for everyone...
Troy,
Good technique. Was your dash in our out of the car when you removed the pads? I had a heck of a time getting to the ones alongside the radio when I refurbed the pads in our '65.
Thanks
Dave Z
Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 PM
20round
Drifting

Originally Posted by DZVette
Troy,
Good technique. Was your dash in our out of the car when you removed the pads? I had a heck of a time getting to the ones alongside the radio when I refurbed the pads in our '65.
Thanks
Dave Z
my housing was out, i know that makes a big difference! but i still think the short handles of these style side cutters would get into that area pretty easy while reaching around the radio...too the people out there that will struggle with a screwdriver, this may be a better way to go.. troy
Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

my housing was out, i know that makes a big difference! but i still think the short handles of these style side cutters would get into that area pretty easy while reaching around the radio...too the people out there that will struggle with a screwdriver, this may be a better way to go.. troy
Thanks!
DZ

Get notified of new replies

To Dash pad removal from housing

Quick Reply: Dash pad removal from housing