C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Handling Those C1 Corvette Hardtops

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Handling Those C1 Corvette Hardtops

The owner of a ’56 Corvette recalls the difficulties of the early hardtops.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 01-13-2017, 12:51 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

The owner of a ’56 Corvette recalls the difficulties of the early hardtops.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
that is how I do mine when I have no help... ya gotta do what ya gotta do... (although a/c has made it a very infrequent chore...

In a recent Super Chevy report, writer Brain Brennan details the technique he used to remove the top on his 1956 Corvette. He affectionately describes the process as the “clean and jerk.” It involved placing a blanket across the body of the car, then sliding the top back from the rear. Then reaching across from side-to-side and lifting.

Bill
Attached Images   

Last edited by wmf62; 01-13-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:54 PM
dbischoff
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two problems with a removable hardtop. One is getting it on and off the car, and the other is storing it. They take up space and could easily be damaged.

Here is a YouTube video of my design for a home built electric hoist and jig that stores the hardtop near the ceiling and makes installation and removal an easy one-person job. Its not a Corvette, but it is applicable.

The specifics about the hardtop hoist start at the 41 second mark. Before that is a little preamble about how I modified my garage to hold a couple of lifts.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I used to get into the car and lift it with my shoulders and walk it out the door. Haven't used the hardtop in years but would probably use a hoist now.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:06 AM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

C3 hardtops with the sharp pins on the rear of the hardtop are the ones that are extremely hard for one person to remove. seats come out easy on a c1 and give you an area to stand and move. if you cannot get the top moved correctly the first attempt the seal in back will allow you to put the top on the deck of the car. that is not the case with the c3, where you get just one shot because of the pins. try just pushing the seats forward in a c3 and trying to move in the area behind the seat.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:33 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I never took the seats out when removing the top but the didn't have the pins to deal with. Had to be careful where the brackets attached just behind the doors. Putting it back on was a little more tedious.

Last edited by narlee; 01-14-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Handling Those C1 Corvette Hardtops

Quick Reply: Handling Those C1 Corvette Hardtops