C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Power Antenna Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:44 PM
576667G
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 66 Power Antenna Problem

My power antenna goes up but won't come down! Switch or motor? Any ideas??

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I'd check for power at the switch in the "down" position first. If not the switch then, I would assume that the cable that runs the mast either broke or became disconnected at the end thus pushing up but, unable to it pull down.

Gary
Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by 576667G
My power antenna goes up but won't come down! Switch or motor? Any ideas??

Thanks.
When you press the down button, can you hear the motor winding? If no sound, you have an electrical connection problem (ie: switch, wiring, p/a motor). If you can hear the motor spinning but antenna is not going down, the ball on the end of the antenna cable has broken off and you will need to pull the whole kit and kaboodle to fix it.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:28 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,319 Posts

IF it's an electrical issue: The antenna switch has three wires. 12v is fed to the switch on the red wire. When you move the switch up or down, the voltage is switched to either the black or the black/white wire. The black and the black/white wires then go through the rear body connector under the driver's side dash and back to the antenna motor. So, your problem can be the switch contacts, broken wire at the switch, broken or disconnected wire at the rear body connector, broken wire going back to the antenna, or broken wire or loose connection at the antenna motor connection. It's hot all the time, even with ignition off. You know you have the voltage on the red or the antenna wouldn't go up. If you use a test lamp or voltmeter you can see if moving the switch is sending the voltage to the black or black/white wires. If it is, move to the rear body connector and see if the voltage is making it through there, if it is move to the back and have someone move the antenna switch up and down and measure at those same color wires back there.
The two most likely scenarios are:
The switch contacts are dirty or not making contact
There is a broken wire going back to the antenna.

You can apply 12v directly to the black or the black/white wires that go into the antenna to move it down. I said both colors throughout because I don't remember which color moves the antenna up and which moves it down. It's a very simple circuit compared to some of the later systems. It just takes 12v on one wire to go up and the other to go down. The ground is connected at the antenna strap.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot there's another connector just a foot or so from the antenna switch between the switch and the rear body connector. Check that too.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-01-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:02 PM
576667G
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Appreciate the help gentlemen!! Thanks.

5766G

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Power Antenna Problem

Quick Reply: 66 Power Antenna Problem