C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Original Paint: impact on value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:43 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

SD, my favorite way to describe the over-cleared cars is "Barrett Jackson Glazed Ham", or "Glazed Ham" for short. The cars never looked like that, even new. Most people prefer the look these days, though. I'm not one of them.
The following users liked this post:
cor28vettes (11-30-2018)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Bally
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Well, too bad if it has in fact been cleared over, but even so, that paint has a beautiful patina.

The fine cracks remind me of great old oil paintings I've seen, so many of which have fine cracks.

When viewing these paintings, you don't notice the fine cracks until you move in closer. These fine little cracks don't detract, but actually give you a palpable sense of authenticity and the history of the piece. That's a nice thing because it provokes thought; fires the imagination.

Since the SWC might actually be the very best of all of American industrial design, each example really is a piece of art, hence my comparison to old paintings.

Not enough of the remaining examples of SWC's have their original finishes, because so many good original cars that probably should have been left alone have been repainted and/or over-restored.

The truly original cars are the ones that seem to have a story to tell, and that unique patina can't be replicated.

The originality 'trend' is not so much a trend as a realization or awakening, and a fairly late one at that in the classic car hobby.

IMO, it's a no-brainer that your car should be left as-is, and I would wager that your car will have increasingly greater value than a restored car in 5, 10, 20 + years time.

Last edited by Bally; 04-17-2017 at 03:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bally:
Barnfinder (04-17-2017), cor28vettes (11-30-2018)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:17 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bally
Well, too bad if it has in fact been cleared over, but even so, that paint has a beautiful patina.

The fine cracks remind me of great old oil paintings I've seen, so many of which have fine cracks.

When viewing these paintings, you don't notice the fine cracks until you move in closer. These fine little cracks don't detract, but actually give you a palpable sense of authenticity and the history of the piece. That's a nice thing because it provokes thought; fires the imagination.

Since the SWC might actually be the very best of all of American industrial design, each example is certainly a piece of art, hence my comparison to old paintings.

Not enough of the remaining examples of SWC's have their original finishes, because so many good original cars that should have been left alone have been repainted and/or over-restored.

The truly original cars are the ones that seem to have a story to tell, and that unique patina can't be replicated.

The originality 'trend' is not so much a trend as a realization or awakening, and a fairly late one at that in the classic car hobby.

IMO, it's a no-brainer that your car should be left as-is, and I would wager that your car will have increasingly greater value than a restored car in 5, 10, 20 + years time.
Very well stated, Sir!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Bally
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Very well stated, Sir!
Why, thank you!

Last edited by Bally; 04-17-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:39 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

SD, my favorite way to describe the over-cleared cars is "Barrett Jackson Glazed Ham", or "Glazed Ham" for short. The cars never looked like that, even new. Most people prefer the look these days, though. I'm not one of them.
I feel the same way. Its like a pretty girl with too much make up on.
cor28vettes (11-30-2018)
Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Very well stated, Sir!
I agree with that as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:49 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,014 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Bally

Since the SWC might actually be the very best of all of American industrial design, each example really is a piece of art, hence my comparison to old paintings.

Not enough of the remaining examples of SWC's have their original finishes, because so many good original cars that probably should have been left alone have been repainted and/or over-restored.

Perfectly explained. Our 66 still retains it original laquer paint and interior finishes. I would not even consider repainting it or changing seat covers, carpet or door panels. More and more car people are coming around to that way of thinking nowadays.
The most important consideration to me is that all systems and everything mechanical, (***** buttons gauges seat adjusters wipers, lighting etc etc) works the way it is supposed to.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Great call on the dealer emblem...I missed that too. I have to respectfully disagree with you on the bias ply tires, however. While I do not recommend running old old tires, I have yet to see a bias belted tire separate and take out a fender or anything else. They tend to blow out and go flat, or just go flat. No steel belts to cut into the cord and beat the car up with. Worked for a major tire company for 14 years. Steel belted radials, that's a whole different animal. Absolute time bombs. I am running 25 year old bias plies on my own '61 without concern....they are soft, pliable, and un-cracked. And will wear out in 12-15,000 miles anyway, as bias plies do.

I have never had a bias ply tire come apart in the 40+ years I have been driving, I still use bias ply tires on my old cars that came from the factory with them.

In 1970 I bought a new Continental Mk III, which came with Michlin radials, a month later it was in the dealer's body shop having the front fender repaired where one of those new super duper "radial" tires came apart. By 8000 miles all 5 of the original tires had been replaced under warranty.

Bill
Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Personally, I won't own a car with a bad paint job - don't care if it original or modern paint. I drove enough cars in my youth with bad body work and messed up paint and worked 45 years so I don't have to put up with that...

My brother in the late 90's had a 1971 Corvette War Bonnet Yellow black interior white convertible top the car was all original (had the original tires he sold with car!!). He hated to drive it because of its originality. He drive it around the block and put it in the garage and wipe it down with soft towel for hours. I can appreciate this 63 Vette because of its original paint and it is something special. However, in the back of my mind I would worry that someone would hit it and ruin the charm of this car.

I like my car with shinny paint. Never a big fan of the "patina or rat rod look" Gas Monkey Garage use to talk up the "originality" of the patina on a roached out car. They want to "preserve it" by clear coating the car. I just think they didn't want to invest in a paint job.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

I was around in the 50's & 60's and the quality of domestic cars in those years wasn't that great, in fact it was crappy, an economy Maaco job of today would be superior to what was delivered by the big 3 back in those days.

Bill
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
That aged/crazed look of the original lacquer paints are never to be reproduced. Just that should be reason enough to leave it alone. Too many wipe away the evidence of what an old factory lacquer paint job looks like after so many years...... Sure it can be resprayed, sure it will look "better" in some folks opinions. But......

It's the "flaws" and the "lack of quality" that stand out, making this car a great example as a learning tool.
Correct answer.

Plus, considering value, one has to factor in the 15k +/- cost to repaint.
cor28vettes (11-30-2018)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I read here it took working 45 years to have a shiny old car. Guess I should have kept my nose on the wheel another ten years so I could get my old cars squared away with their old lacquer paint jobs. Here is one of them with mostly original lacquer and you can see every seam and body reinforcement showing through.

On the other hand, that big money I keep hearing everyone quote for a paint job pretty good in my hip pocket, even if it does make me sit a little lopsided.

Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Thankfully, original paint is starting to be recognized as the rare slice of history that it is. Unfortunately, as "original" grows in popularity, many will experiment and find ways to make modern paint formulations indistinguishable from those of old putting us in the same predicament that we find ourselves in with regard to matching numbers via restamping and the like. The battle between greed and honesty will continue and based on the lessons learned from some recent transactions I hate to say which side I believe will win.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:41 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
The most important question is are you sure it's the original paint? The original paint on a 63 Corvette had no clear on it. You should be able to take a white rag with a product like mirror glaze rub the body with the rag and the rag should turn the car color if the rag does not turn the car color more than likely it's clear on it and the car is been messed with. Original paint cars are definitely worth more as long as the paint is respectable. Doesn't have to be perfect just respectable.
Not according to an NCRS judge who claimed my original paint was clear coated. As a second owner "all in the family" car I am positive it was not. I offered to rub with a rag to show the color and he said clear coat can have tint in it, and refused my offer. Needless to say I was PO'd. Back on topic, the car is worth much more to me as is and will never have the minor flaws painted over during my ownership.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
Thankfully, original paint is starting to be recognized as the rare slice of history that it is. Unfortunately, as "original" grows in popularity, many will experiment and find ways to make modern paint formulations indistinguishable from those of old putting us in the same predicament that we find ourselves in with regard to matching numbers via restamping and the like. The battle between greed and honesty will continue and based on the lessons learned from some recent transactions I hate to say which side I believe will win.
There are people who do build survivor type cars. There is way to fake the weathered lacquare paint look.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Barnfinder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it possible to have a dealer clear coat a vette in 1963 after or at delivery?

Last edited by Barnfinder; 04-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Some like a frame off resto with everything new and a re-set odometer, others like a well preserved original. Still others like thrashed out rat rods. I like well preserved originals. But I get what I can afford. These cars are getting to be like antique guns: some like a professionally restored and refinished-re-case-hardened 1888 Winchester..done by Turnbull, it looks brand new. Like nobody has used it, ever. I prefer an original in excellent condition with 90% of its 19th century applied finish still intact, and every little blemish is a mark of some long lost historic event. I can afford an original in 'good' condition, with less than 50% of its finish intact but mechanically excellent and fully functional and full of history. The Value of a 'good' and a restored antique gun can be close. The value of an excellent original gun is worth MANY times what a 'slate-wiped-clean-restored original is worth. Different strokes.....I am NOT a rat rod fan myself...I too see it as a cop- out for those too cheap or lazy to at least paint the darn thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Original Paint: impact on value?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:30 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

A similar thing happened in the electric guitar market.
A 1959 Gibson Les Paul can be worth $1M or more.. IF it has the "right" patina..

So a new industry was launched.. "Guitar Relicing", complete with patented ways of beating up a new guitar to look old - in the right way.

Eventually the big guys (Fender) tried to capitalize on this trend by producing a line of "road worn" guitars, complete with worn paint and blemishes right from the factory. Except they didn't think it through very well as it didn't look too good to have 6 identical 'road warn' guitars on the shelf in a music store, all with identical wear!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:42 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I agree. I HATE BC/CC paint. So many painters seem to think that it is OK to have orange peel in the color coat as long a the clear coat is smooth since this is the norm with new factory paint.

Give me single stage enamel paint any day that can be color sanded to a nice smooth finish and then compounded and polished to a nice back in the day paint look. Easy to touch up or blend as well.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I agree. I HATE BC/CC paint. So many painters seem to think that it is OK to have orange peel in the color coat as long a the clear coat is smooth since this is the norm with new factory paint.

Give me single stage enamel paint any day that can be color sanded to a nice smooth finish and then compounded and polished to a nice back in the day paint look. Easy to touch up or blend as well.
I prefer the single stage paint also because it is easier to touch up but I was not owner of car when it was painted.

Quick Reply: [C2] Original Paint: impact on value?