C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Broken speedometer cable....1966

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:42 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Broken speedometer cable....1966

Speedo stopped last nigh...what a bear to work on, pulled cluster out a couple inches to get cable off gauge and sure nuff cable snapped in the middle.

Looks like a horrible job to replace the complete cable itself.

Anybody just replace the guts? If so, where to buy a cable that will fit in the original casing? Whatever you can tell me may help me avoid some grief...
Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IF the cable snapped in the middle THAT should be telling you something like replace teh entire assembly and NOT just the cable.

Becasue...to be totally honest with you...IF you brought your car to me and wanted me to just replace the cable....I would let you know how I felt about it just like what I wrote above...AND...if it snapped again due to problem INSIDE the housing...you would really regret it when you brought it back to me and I had to deal with it again and then change out the entire cable assembly.

Replacing the entire assembly is NOT that hard to do.

IF you are wanting to do as you are thinking...go to NAPA and get the universal cable and cut it to length and crimp on the end.

And I usually can get the end of the speedo cable loose and off the speedo without having to pull the cluster.

DUB
Old 07-21-2017, 06:32 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks Dub, I pulled the cable from the gauge end and just measured it. somewhere around 64 inches. The repop cable [from paragon] says 60 inch. The universal complete cable is 63 inches from the parts store. I have yet to get the cable off the transmission, I'm ASSUMING I will find the cable snapped right at the very end. Yes I ordered a universal insert [$8. ]

Here is the kicker, I had a guy put a clutch in the car about 100 miles ago. Again assuming, the two are likely related.

I'll get it the rest of the way apart Monday morning. Of course if the cable casing looks or feels funny, I'll have to replace the whole thing.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Be aware, DUB is trying to save you from doing it twice. If the sheath or housing is worn internally (likely is) your new cable isn't going to last very long, if you drive the car a lot.

If you just change the cable, lube it and the sheath good with dry graphite to extend the life. There may be a better lube today, but graphite has never failed me.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...lubing the cable is touchy scenario.....because if you use an incorrect lubricant or too much of it....thinking that 'more is better'.....you can run into the cable binding and popping and the needle on your speedometer bounces as some speeds.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Broken speedometer cable....1966

Quick Reply: Broken speedometer cable....1966