C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Numbers Matching Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Number

You guys are killing me with this matching numbers BS. Those words mean NOTHING, purely up to interpretation (sp?). The OP wants a car. with its original engine and an original stamp pad. Most understand what original is. I say most because some on this forum continue to use ridiculous words to describe original engines and such.....
Old 09-12-2017, 11:31 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Simple

Original = It left the factory with it.

Numbers Matching use to mean original years ago.

Last edited by ghostrider20; 09-12-2017 at 11:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
emdoller (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:54 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
"Numbers Matching Syndrome" is a disease. Please seek professional attention.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:20 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

There are plenty of NOM Vettes out there that are great cars and will return you a good ROI a few years down the road. Why obsess over "matching numbers"? The ROI will be very similar/the same.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
You guys are killing me with this matching numbers BS. Those words mean NOTHING, purely up to interpretation (sp?). The OP wants a car. with its original engine and an original stamp pad. Most understand what original is. I say most because some on this forum continue to use ridiculous words to describe original engines and such.....
Oh come on Boyan. Snap out of it!
If not for endless discussions of matching numbers, engine stampings, knock-off wheels, matching numbers, type of gas, oil and coolant to use, vin and Trim plates, matching numbers, tires, what's it worth?, matching numbers, value of window stickers, etc. what good would this forum be?
There comes a point when there is just not that much else to talk about.
So, try to relax and let us have our fun. And, what are you doing wasting time here when you could be finishing up your car?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:05 AM
jbrinsfi
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

And, what are you doing wasting time here when you could be finishing up your car?[/QUOTE]

excellant point..... good morning Don
Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Default Numbers

And OP, there are lots of documented original cars with mistakes like upside down stamps. By any chance is the car you are referencing maroon in color?

And fyi, Im headed to work and cant work on my car.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by hikerneil
Thank you everyone for your detailed answers.

Here's what originally started me down this road: I found a car in North Carolina that features the VIN and Engine Pad stamp numbers shown in the pictures below.

When I saw these pictures I wondered if it was normal for half of the numbers to be stamped upside down, so I did some googling. I found a 10-year old thread on this car's VIN number on this site and there was a long thread about this issue. Fast forward 10 years, and the thread is repeating itself. Same car. Same issue. Funny, but also very informative for me as I learn about this issue.

For me - my top priority is to find a car that runs well, is reliable, and looks FANTASTIC (paint, wheels, chrome, the colors I want, etc). If I can find this car with matching numbers it would be a homerun, as I think it would allow me to sell the car more easily when I am ready to move on to the next car in a few years. I am enjoying the search for my perfect car, and I am in no hurry.

Thank you to everyone for all the information.
Numbers look correct maybe the guy made a mistake Human error
Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM
partsman912
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

True story , back in the early eighties 2 rich guys drove their 1967 Corvettes to the Country Club. The cars were identical ,perfectly restored 427/435HP coupes. Same colors and options , you couldn't tell them apart.

A crowd started to surround these beautiful American Sports Cars and people were asking many questions. Now ,we all know 2 rich guys can't share the limelight at the same time , so after several minutes of attention one of them said "Yeah they are both nice cars but mine has matching numbers...."

And that's how the story began ......
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I totally disagree. They mean EVERYTHING. They are a tip off to me when I see a car advertised/described as such that it is a car that the seller is unsure of the car having a "born with engine." More and more people have come to understand the difference and you see more and more people that do have known provable "born with engine" cars describing them that way. In fact, if you have no proof of it then you really can't say it is anything other than matching numbers.

This actually makes me think that maybe this forum should have a sticky of "Corvette Definitions" for things like this.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:18 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm no expert but isn't that a fake VIN tag?
CJ
Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Default Words

"Born with" more ridiculous words. What about when the car was Re-born or born again???
Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by 40ZR1
CJ
And the rivets should be rosettes?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

CJ
What makes you think that??

Larry
Old 09-13-2017, 03:46 PM
68hemi
Race Director

"Born with" more ridiculous words. What about when the car was Re-born or born again???
We don't need to bring religion into this, there is enough arguing as it is.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
We don't need to bring religion into this, there is enough arguing as it is.
Nothing to do with religion. Born again is everything to do with re-painted, re -upholstered, re-chromed, re-stamped, re-carpeted, re-furbished, re-placed, re-built, none of it original.

Last edited by MikeM; 09-13-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Bill Pilon (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I've been thinking about this and while I enjoy the debate over numbers matching vs non numbers matching the problem I have, and yes it's been said many times, is in most cases my guess would be engines are restamped in order to increase the price of the car. This unfortunately means those who don't have the ability to tell the difference may get screwed down the line. That's my problem with it.

If that logic is sound, it must mean that having a car with numbers matching engines are worth more money on average otherwise no one would be doing it.

What I also found ridiculous is the last time I went to Barrett Jackson auction it amazed me when car after car they would say "numbers matching" and then they'd have a Z28 cross the line and bring up Jerry McNeish and he'd say "folks this is the real deal". Well what the hell does that mean about the last 3 Z28's that crossed the line with only the auctioneer saying "numbers matching?!? It's a joke.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Numbers Matching Question

Old 09-13-2017, 05:28 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

CJ
I thought the same thing.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:32 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
What makes you think that??

Larry
'Cause it don't look like mine! You're a holy-moly NCRS judge, you tell me why it is!
CJ
Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by emdoller
I've been thinking about this and while I enjoy the debate over numbers matching vs non numbers matching the problem I have, and yes it's been said many times, is in most cases my guess would be engines are restamped in order to increase the price of the car. This unfortunately means those who don't have the ability to tell the difference may get screwed down the line. That's my problem with it.

If that logic is sound, it must mean that having a car with numbers matching engines are worth more money on average otherwise no one would be doing it.

What I also found ridiculous is the last time I went to Barrett Jackson auction it amazed me when car after car they would say "numbers matching" and then they'd have a Z28 cross the line and bring up Jerry McNeish and he'd say "folks this is the real deal". Well what the hell does that mean about the last 3 Z28's that crossed the line with only the auctioneer saying "numbers matching?!? It's a joke.

Ed
Of course it is done to increase the value of the car. Some will say it is to gain more judging points for NCRS and regardless of what else they say the car will bring more money at sale time with the NCRS awards.

B-J and any other auction are CYA with statements of "numbers matching" and things like Jerry McNeish and he'd say "folks this is the real deal" because those people are the supposed expert "go to" guys for particular cars. You have answered your own question about this.

If a car can be PROVEN to have the "born with" engine it is worth more. If a supposed expert is willing to make a claim (for what that is worth, and some think nothing) about a particular car then many think it is worth more. It is just his opinion based on his experience and research that some people pay for. A car stated as numbers matching can be many things such as stamped correctly, incorrectly, correct date codes lining up with the cars birthday or not. That is why you have to look closely and be armed with the proper information to make your own decision. However, a car that is numbers matching done correctly and has correct casting numbers and date codes is worth more than a car that obviously has a NOM but is worth less than a proven "born with" car. How much more you ask? That is also debatable however I think MOST people you ask will say correct numbers matching is 10% more than NOM and "born with" is worth 10% or MORE than correct matching numbers. This statement will certainly arouse people with other opinions and this is just mine and it is worth what ever anyone else thinks it is at any given time.
emdoller (09-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Numbers Matching Question