C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Need some Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Before anyone else recomends parts we should first figure out what you have. Locate on the intake manifold and block the casting numbers of each. Then tell us if you don't mind keeping the intake if we can tell you what carb you need. If indeed you really want a new intake and carb set up someone can recommend that too. But the way you discribe is the carb and possible the timing is not set up correctly causing your problems. If that's really the case then throwing parts at it won't solve anything.
It's beyond that. Either the heads are wrong or the whole engine is a replacement. The straight-across valve cover bolts are a clue.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
It's beyond that. Either the heads are wrong or the whole engine is a replacement. The straight-across valve cover bolts are a clue.
Weather or not the heads or correct to the year of the block should make no difference on performance of said engine. The thing the op needs to understand is all the parts need to be working at optimal performance and to have everything working in sync A whole bunch of miss matched parts won't help a thing
Old 09-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

The WCFB will fit on the manifold the Rochester 4GC is on, I have actually used a 4GC on a car while waiting for parts for a WCFB, I have a few of each sitting around.

Bill
Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Sovsen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
The WCFB will fit on the manifold the Rochester 4GC is on, I have actually used a 4GC on a car while waiting for parts for a WCFB, I have a few of each sitting around.

Bill
Is mine a 4GC model ? If so, there is no problem at all, if I understand you correctly ?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

a) running a carb temporarily while waiting for a correct part is not "...no problem at all" and I've certainly done it, and,
b) it sure as hell matters what heads, etc.. are installed vis a vis performance. Bolt a set of D00E Windsor heads on a stock Ford 289 and see what happens.

I'm out...there is not much more I can add that is deemed worthwhile
Old 09-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Sovsen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
a) running a carb temporarily while waiting for a correct part is not "...no problem at all" and I've certainly done it, and,
b) it sure as hell matters what heads, etc.. are installed vis a vis performance. Bolt a set of D00E Windsor heads on a stock Ford 289 and see what happens.

I'm out...there is not much more I can add that is deemed worthwhile
Sorry to ask... what is heads?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Sovsen
Sorry to ask... what is heads?
cylinder heads.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Sovsen
Intermediate

Does this number tell you anything about the type of intake I have, and if it will fit well together with the WCFB ?
Old 09-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

That is a good sign, you have the correct intake for a 1958 230hp Corvette - part number 3746829. Who knows, that might be the original intake for your car. If you are lucky, maybe you also have the original block, with later model heads. Nonetheless, Frankie is right that getting a rebuilt WCFB should be the easiest way to go. Here is another one I found on ebay, if you don't care about matching numbers, and the listing says it ships worldwide:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-1965-CH...RZSTiF&vxp=mtr
Old 09-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Sovsen
Intermediate

We are ordering some other parts for the car from Corvette Central. Thats why we would like to get the carb from them as well. Just to keep things simple.
I understand that the right "original" carb is the one you links to on eBay. Chicago Corvette Supply got it as well. And I will try and buy one of them if necessary. BUT can you explaine what kind of problems I will get, if I buy the one from Corvette Central ?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Sovsen
Intermediate

Is that an adapter ? And if so...then what ?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Sovsen
Intermediate

Is that an adapter ? And if so...then what ?
Im pretty sure I saw 4jet written on it.... 4jet is different from a 4GC isnt it ?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

We are ordering some other parts for the car from Corvette Central. Thats why we would like to get the carb from them as well. Just to keep things simple.
I understand that the right "original" carb is the one you links to on eBay. Chicago Corvette Supply got it as well. And I will try and buy one of them if necessary. BUT can you explaine what kind of problems I will get, if I buy the one from Corvette Central ?
Check the archives on Chicago Corvette, buyer beware. But you can't go wrong with Corvette Central, although they would probably cost more than an eBay seller. Since you are buying international, they might be your safest bet.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:03 AM
Sovsen
Intermediate

Im so sorry. I missed an e-mail from CorvetteCentral.... They admit it is a wrong photo on the webshop and they send me the right one.
I guess everything will be alright now 🤗
Old 09-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Sovsen
Intermediate

Cant wait until spring now. I have ordered all the parts now, so it will be ready :-)

Quick Reply: [C1] Need some Help...