C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Would I be making a big mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 PM
60n1st
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Keep the Vette & buy a 2017 GT for about 29k. Close to the same experience (ok I love that flat plane crank engine) & when you get a door ding & still own that beautiful vette you won't get as upset, or loose as much money in the end.

Last edited by 60n1st; 10-21-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

I'd have to say both if it is at all possible. When I bought my C7 I was going to sell my near-flawless 95 Probe GT. After all, the Vette can eat it for breakfast even if it was missing first gear. But there is something about driving an old car that looks new. Maybe because so few examples exist? Not sure. Kind of like buying a brand new home that was designed to look like a classic old home. At first blush it should fill the bill. But it dosen't. Almost as if you need the element of time passed to make it legit. All that said, keep the oldie unless you have lost interest in it.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:33 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
Money definitely plays a big role, if it didn't I'd just buy the GT350 and keep the Corvette. My problem is 7 years of working on the Corvette and it's still sitting (I'm too much of a perfectionist to my own fault) Don't get me wrong I love the looks and working on the car but some day's I feel like throwing in the towel.

I really appreciate the posts.
I helped a friend recently get his GTO running and driving after sitting for over 20 years as he 'restored' it bit by bit with the precision of a swiss watch. At his rate, it would have been ready in 200-300 years. Literally. As a mechanic, I convinced him it was just a car, and a mass-produced regular production car at that, and that it had to be nice, but not perfect. They never were, not even new. Well, here it is a year later and he is driving it and enjoying it with his family. I had another friend who recently passed at age 86 and had many non-running cars he had been 'restoring' since the early '50's. He too was a perfectionist. Not one of them ran and drove.....all were at about 20% completion after 60 years of work. If you want to drive something and know your own limitations, get what you want and hit the road and enjoy. I agree that 'slightly used' newer muscle can be a great value.
The following 3 users liked this post by GTOguy:
Easy Rhino (10-22-2017), Panhead (10-23-2017), warrenmj (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 01:11 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Wilbur, that does look like a special '58. No radio/no heater car? Funny how I get excited about things an old Corvette doesn't have sometimes, but those luxuries not being present says hot rod Corvette to me. 270hp? Or maybe it was just a cheapie. Beautiful car anyway, but project burn out (especially after 7 years) is hard to beat. I don't know where you live, but maybe there's a CF member nearby that could help you with it? Is there something expensive that you have to do to it, or buy for it before you can proceed?

If it's just time to move on, get it done. It's very marketable. Maybe you'll regret it, and maybe you'll kick yourself for waiting so long. Life here isn't forever.
The following users liked this post:
vetintheblood (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 05:35 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
I remember a couple years back one of our forum members sold his just beautiful silver '63 coupe to get into a C7. He seemed pretty happy at the time. Wonder how that worked out.
I know about that Corvette ,I am in the same boat infract the guy that painted his painted my 67 . John Herald Good painter money pit on my end .

I sold classics to get new ones but don't go new ,new go slightly used .
Old 10-22-2017, 06:58 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Follow your heart and talk to your family about your thoughts. Earlier this year thoughts of a new Corvette and traveling the country entered my mind. The reason for a new modern car was the reliability and comfort of new car versus worrying about my NCRS TopFlight 67 having a mechanical issue in the middle of nowhere and the lack of creature comforts. After much thought and family input, I sold my 67 for a heavy price and last week took possession of a fully loaded C7 convertible. My desire to see the country of things I dreamed about will start after the first of the year. No regrets!
Rick

Old 10-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

No car is for everyone, of course, but to me that is a GREAT looking C7. Nice car, Rick.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd H.
No car is for everyone, of course, but to me that is a GREAT looking C7. Nice car, Rick.
I almost traded my C6 for a C7, and may yet.

While I love my '65, it does not make a daily driver (for me), while my C6 has been my daily driver. The C6 I can "granny drive" and still have tons of power, braking, and handling on tap should I choose to use it. Like 0-60 in 4 seconds and change, but with zero drama.

The C6 is also the most comfortable car I've ever had for chewing up the miles on a long haul, or to enjoy on a commute. It is also the most reliable car I've ever owned.

So I grasp what the OP is saying - the joy and peace of a fun, powerful car that needs nothing.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:22 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 58 Vette.

Wilbur, that car is so beautiful, I would like to park it next to my '58' , they pretty much look alike except I don't have white walls. I know i can't sell mine, you will have to think long and hard. Good luck BILL58.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Beautiful C-7 Rick. I'm looking for exactly THAT car. My issue is space. Doing a "body-off" on my 65 BB roadster takes up the room of two cars. Add to that my 60 plus 2 daily drivers and well, I'm running out of indoor space. Once the painted body goes back on the frame, I'll have lots of room so maybe next summer I'll pick up a black C-7 conv. like yours.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Beautiful C-7 Rick. I'm looking for exactly THAT car. My issue is space. Doing a "body-off" on my 65 BB roadster takes up the room of two cars. Add to that my 60 plus 2 daily drivers and well, I'm running out of indoor space. Once the painted body goes back on the frame, I'll have lots of room so maybe next summer I'll pick up a black C-7 conv. like yours.
Like I said earlier, the OP has to follow his heart. Some have sellers remorse, others have some and then like me, there was no looking back. It has only been a short time since I sold my 67 after 15 years of ownership but I had a GTO’s prior and in my heart I felt it was time to move on. No qualms about others and their decision in car ownership. One has to do what makes them happy and I think that is the most important factor.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on my new ride. It’s a Z51, 3LT with numerous options, in reality too many options but the price was great.

Last edited by ricks327; 10-22-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:00 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
Money definitely plays a big role, if it didn't I'd just buy the GT350 and keep the Corvette. My problem is 7 years of working on the Corvette and it's still sitting (I'm too much of a perfectionist to my own fault) Don't get me wrong I love the looks and working on the car but some day's I feel like throwing in the towel.

I really appreciate the posts.
Ah huh! That explains it. You really want a 500hp toy to play with until your corvette baby is roadable. Something you don't have to wrench on or the dealership can fix under warranty. Well nowdays there are plenty of those modern muscle cars both new and used to choose from. Yes I can relate to that as my fourth gen Camaro allows me something to abuse while it can still be fixed at the dealership if needed though it's far from 500hp. My line of thinking is I can still race it and not have worry if it gets wrecked or it's resale value.

Well I looked at cost for a 17 Shelby GT350 and they run $55k from what I saw. I think that will get you into 2017 corvette too but HP rating only 460. Well it reads more like how resourceful you are if you want to keep your vintage corvette and have powerful toy also. Just my advice is if you sell your vintage corvette don't look back.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:13 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

OK, I have some experience in this area....

I always wanted a 56-57, so I bought a project 56 Corvette many years ago. After a while I sold the project 56 and bough a 1990 Corvette coupe that needed nothing.

Later I bout a 1972 Corvette coupe that needed paint but was a solid car. I sold the 1990 coupe.

Then I bought another 1956 Corvette project car and sold the 1972 coupe. I got this 1956 Corvette running and driving, and had a blast with it. It was still bare fiberglass

Later I sold the 1956 project and bought a 2004 Corvette convertible.

Tomorrow I am getting on a plane to Denver to look at, and most like buy a nice, needs very little 1964 Corvette coupe.

I am selling the 2004 convertible to purchase a Ferrari Daytona replica.

Every time I sold the older project car, it was because I had health problems and could not work on the car. So I convinced myself that I needed to get a car that needed nothing. Them, when I got better, I sold the "needs nothing" car and bought another project.

I wish that I had never sold the first 1956 Corvette project that I had. It would have been a perfect restomod candidate, and I could have easily paid for that effort with what I have spent over the years buying and selling cars back and forth.

Only you can answer the question you have asked, but the question you need to answer first is "Why am I considering letting this 58 Corvette go". Answering that may help you answer the rest of the questions.

Good luck with it.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:39 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by 60n1st
Keep the Vette & buy a 2017 GT for about 29k. Close to the same experience (ok I love that flat plane crank engine) & when you get a door ding & still own that beautiful vette you won't get as upset, or loose as much money in the end.
This may actually be something to consider (or even a Camaro). The GT is a more practical driver than the Shelby but still with a 460 hp, 7500 rpm engine. The Shelby is so low that it actually forces you to plan your route in advance to avoid speed bumps, even a moderately steep ramp or entrances with grade changes. The GT also get about 2 to 3 mpg more mileage than the Shelby. And the Shelby has a pretty pronounced bit of what they call trammeling - a term I wasn't familiar with before but apparently is the same thing as - follows every rut in the road and jogs back and forth from every bump and dip - due to the very wide tires. The standard GT is a lot more laid back driver with better everyday manners.

The money saved over a Shelby might allow keeping the 58 and taking a break from it to recharge the batteries.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 10-23-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Somewhat OT but if hankering for a new Corvette I was just reading that Chevrolet is shutting down production of 2018 models this January. No official word as to what's up but maybe some of the C7 guys have heard rumors.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:21 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Like I said earlier, the OP has to follow his heart. Some have sellers remorse, others have some and then like me, there was no looking back. It has only been a short time since I sold my 67 after 15 years of ownership but I had a GTO’s prior and in my heart I felt it was time to move on. No qualms about others and their decision in car ownership. One has to do what makes them happy and I think that is the most important factor.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on my new ride. It’s a Z51, 3LT with numerous options, in reality too many options but the price was great.
It was time for the old corvette to give back to you and it did enjoy the new one I sold my first 63 SWC after 17 years for a C6 .
And just sold my second SWC because I wanted a classic Truck to have fun in and enjoy the AC .Great looking Black Corvette seats are gray ? Enjoy its nice to drive have fun instead of worrying about the car every time you go some where.

Quick Reply: Would I be making a big mistake?