C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:57 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
You shouldn't discount certain early Corvettes, the 1957 and 1962 models, explicitly. Both of these model years expressed both simplicity of styling, but breakthrough engineering facets which are earmarks up until the present day.
You may be right, but I have a very difficult time sitting behind the wheel and driving those, like with my '56 T-Bird, which I loved, but couldn't enjoy fully.......
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
Kudos for taking the Porsche to the track. Too many guys with older cars rarely if ever take them to a track. I do track time whenever I can, and probably 98% of the time my '69 is the oldest car there (and usually by a decade or two).
Even more impressive to me are the guys who take the '50s through early '70s vintage cars on a 1000 mile rally. I just got back from one, the Texas 1000, where 20 of the 30 cars entered were '50s to early '70s. 4 tough days through tough roads and foggy, nasty weather, in Big Bend, and these cars (mostly) performed flawlessly........
Attached Images   

Last edited by mikelj; 12-02-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:29 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,958 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by morly1963
This is why I dont belong to any car clubs anymore. I like all types of cars and the people that enjoy the hobby also. I joined a club when I bought my 63. First meeting a fellow member says what do u have? I say 63 coupe. He says they r not much and proceeds to tell me how bad they ride and how bad they r built. I say what do u have? He says a 74 convertible. I tell him nice car. Never went back. I like NCRS cars and original un-restored and hot rods. I seem to be going to more NSRA shows and Good Guys shows.
Crazy how some/most "clubs" attract some real "winners"!

Just have to laugh and move on, as you obviously did!

Pat
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Crazy how some/most "clubs" attract some real "winners"!

Just have to laugh and move on, as you obviously did!

Pat
Unfortunately, this forum has received some similar feedback from people who have left because of some know-it-alls that have a need to insult others who don't automatically agree with them or genuflect to their "greatness."

FWIW, if these types had their way, they'd be nearly alone on the board. Everybody would agree with them, but it would be lonely. I suppose that would make them happy, though - "winning the forum"

Kevin
The following 6 users liked this post by Easy Rhino:
Brian VH McHale (12-06-2017), emccomas (12-05-2017), Frankie the Fink (12-03-2017), ptjsk (12-03-2017), tuxnharley (12-03-2017), USMC 0802 (12-03-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2017, 12:26 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Joe
I hear you 5 x 5. And understand. I have been a member of SACC for about 8 years because my buds back home all own stiff axle cars. The only way I will ever own one is if someone gives me one. They don't float my boat like the floppy axles do. But, I keep renewing, National and SoCAL. Just because I have passion for the marque. And I'm in 6 different NCRS chapters, just because I like people in all of those chapters. That's why you should be a member. You have the passion. And minds are opening, slowly. Meets come around near you occasionally and you like to attend. I know, from first hand experience. As long as you are breathing, and own your 65, you should be in. That's it buddy.

One more thing Joe, Vinnie only sends out the Driveline 6 times a year, and the Restorer 4 times a year. So, the mags you are throwing out month after month must be your Better Homes & Gardens, Teen Life, or MAD that I know you take.
Ha, ha. There ya go mincing words again! Looks like our "friend" Mike's ways are rubbing off on you. So 6 Drivelines plus 4 Restorers makes ten not twelve. I'm off by a coupla months. Sue me.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:29 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

The Restorers come attached to the Driveline, when they come out, so you are only getting mag(s) ever two months. 6 times a year, not twelve. So you are not trashing club mag(s) 'everyone month'. You're exaggerating! So, it really would not be a hardship for you to be in the club, and you could get back onto the DB and argue with Duke. Life's short, come on back.
And look for my lawyer's letter; it's in the mail.....
Old 12-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Unfortunately, this forum has received some similar feedback from people who have left because of some know-it-alls that have a need to insult others who don't automatically agree with them or genuflect to their "greatness."

FWIW, if these types had their way, they'd be nearly alone on the board. Everybody would agree with them, but it would be lonely. I suppose that would make them happy, though - "winning the forum"

Kevin
Truer words were never spoken...
Old 12-04-2017, 02:47 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
People who do not have nice restored original cars are envious of those who do; simple.
Bull Sh-t makes the grass go green. That is a typical comment from a person that has the "I got mine syndrome", mine is gold yours is sh-t.

I have enjoyed my 60 Vette for the 37 years I have had it and have no aspirations of having a "nice restored original car", as you put it, with the fake reproduction parts that are used in a so called restoration.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Pilon:
Cpe04 (12-06-2017), tuxnharley (12-06-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:44 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by morly1963
This is why I dont belong to any car clubs anymore. I like all types of cars and the people that enjoy the hobby also. I joined a club when I bought my 63. First meeting a fellow member says what do u have? I say 63 coupe. He says they r not much and proceeds to tell me how bad they ride and how bad they r built. I say what do u have? He says a 74 convertible. I tell him nice car. Never went back. I like NCRS cars and original un-restored and hot rods. I seem to be going to more NSRA shows and Good Guys shows.
Several years ago my wife and I were invited , as guests, to a three day NCRS function, we drove the 60 Vett to the event which was about 200 miles away, our hosts could not have been better, but otherwise we felt like we were "red headed stepchildren at a family reunion", it was obvious that we didn't belong there and we left after the first evening an never looked back.

I also have a 55 T-Bird which I bought in 1970, which was my wife's favorite car and daily driver, before she passed away, we always enjoyed the T-Bird folks so we ended up spending more time with them.

I drive the Vette on a daily basis, several thousand miles a year, weather permitting, The T-Bird is a lot better car but the Vette is more fun.

Bill
Old 12-04-2017, 06:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Maybe I was younger, maybe the hobby was different (without the money-grubbers, internet trolls and correctness wonks), maybe it was a different marquee -- but my days in the late 70's and throughout the 80's in the Mustang hobby was a joy.

A phone call would have 3-5 guys over your house to help with a big project. Nobody was damning another's vehicle or their abilities (a common attack here lately) and we drove the living snot out of our cars.

The MCA (Mustang Club of America) was a group of like-minded folks of this same ilk and was a side gig to the over-riding pleasure of owning, maintaining and driving the cars. It's work wasn't a benchmark to establish the sale-ability of one's car.

Having said all that....I picked up a pristine, original 63 hood from Texas in the Driveline via an ad and I saved the equivalent of about 10 years worth of NCRS membership dues on the purchase over what I was seeing elsewhere....the seller didn't advertise anywhere else...and I had been looking for 4 months for this part.

For all you tight-asses that think $40/year is an outrage...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-04-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by kolsen911
Oh no my Hemi/Vette would totally fall off those lists. I guess I'll just have to drive it, listen to that big block and smile.
I would enter the hemi powered car into flight judging just to see how many pages of judging sheets it would tale to document all of the "atypical of factory production" aspects of the car.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jv04
I would enter the hemi powered car into flight judging just to see how many pages of judging sheets it would tale to document all of the "atypical of factory production" aspects of the car.
Don't forget that there would be a lot of dots in the judging sheet margins. The sheets would look like Peter Max creations.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That would be a good car for the modified class in NCRS now, no problem, people would love it, like the '63 SWC I saw judged in Laughlin with an LS7 engine in it and a '67 stinger hood.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:47 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Jeff
Not quite....I appreciate the restored and/or original cars, but I'm not envious, and I'm certain there are others like me.

I've got a '65 vert that looks correct, but I'm sure it's not...and that's fine by me.
I'm not going to replace a part with something from Autozone, but then again, I'm fine with something that isn't date matched.

The NCRS guys have a lot of knowledge, and I have no problem learning from them. But I have absolutely no interest in getting my car judged.
I bought it to enjoy it...and that's not sweating over correct bolts...
Different strokes for different folks...there's room in the Hobby for all...
Also in the same boat with my '64. .. Excepting some add on creature comforts, mainly AC and cruise control, as well as some under hood mods, the car looks stock on the exterior. The car is a driver and always will be.

I think it safe to say that most here appreciate original as well as survivor cars for what they are. Great that there are many fine examples out there. But envious?..........uh, no. There are many not so correct cars that look just as good.

NCRS: It just seems to me there are some who go to great lengths to borrow a correct part from someone else's car or hide or make undetectable to the judges certain things. .. Nothing envious there.
John
Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrg
Also in the same boat with my '64. .. Excepting some add on creature comforts, mainly AC and cruise control, as well as some under hood mods, the car looks stock on the exterior. The car is a driver and always will be.

I think it safe to say that most here appreciate original as well as survivor cars for what they are. Great that there are many fine examples out there. But envious?..........uh, no. There are many not so correct cars that look just as good.

NCRS: It just seems to me there are some who go to great lengths to borrow a correct part from someone else's car or hide or make undetectable to the judges certain things. .. Nothing envious there.
John
I'm so happy that judging's over and I got my Top Flight. Now I Can Return all the KORRRRRREKKKKKT T T T T T parts that I borrowed, and Sell my car for a big profit.

And all of those nice, helpful judges worked so hard to make my car worth more than it should be. They don't even get paid! How nice of them!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

you're welcome.
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

There was a discussion a while back (a serious discussion) about parts rental for the purposes of getting a car through NCRS judging.

So your 1956 single four barrel Corvette is missing a correct 11 inch air cleaner. You can buy one for $1200 or so, or rent one for a day for $100 (plus a healthy deposit).

The concept would only apply to easy to install parts and parts that would not deteriorate with very limited use.

AS you can well imagine, NCRS was not fond of the idea.
The following users liked this post:
65tripleblack (12-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......

Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
Bull Sh-t makes the grass go green. That is a typical comment from a person that has the "I got mine syndrome", mine is gold yours is sh-t.

I have enjoyed my 60 Vette for the 37 years I have had it and have no aspirations of having a "nice restored original car", as you put it, with the fake reproduction parts that are used in a so called restoration.

Bill
Only thing green is this thread.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:43 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

There was a discussion a while back (a serious discussion) about parts rental for the purposes of getting a car through NCRS judging.

So your 1956 single four barrel Corvette is missing a correct 11 inch air cleaner. You can buy one for $1200 or so, or rent one for a day for $100 (plus a healthy deposit).

The concept would only apply to easy to install parts and parts that would not deteriorate with very limited use.

AS you can well imagine, NCRS was not fond of the idea.
Why do they have to be? It's a free country, they will never know if you do such a thing anyway.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:04 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
Why do they have to be? It's a free country, they will never know if you do such a thing anyway.
Perhaps. .. But what to say for a guy having his car judged only to lose close points because his part(s) was/were less than correct. Maybe he ends up getting screwed out of an award because someone played the under the table card.
John

Quick Reply: Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......