C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Question before I start cutting - spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Any here tried the 1963-67 Corvette front spoiler from Ecklers?

If so how is the fit?
We use the Eckler's front spoiler, on a couple of the Corvette vintage racers that I crew on. Like most aftermarket fiberglass parts, some minor trimming is needed, but once installed, the fit is near perfect on the red 65 we race.

This is the same spoiler on a friend's 66 Corvette, that we help out on occasionally.

We use to use the Camaro spoiler on the red 65. After it got damaged while loading the car in the trailer, we decided to give the Eckler's spoiler a try. The Eckler's spoiler is a little wider, but I think the Camaro one was deeper.

One thing to consider by anyone racing, or regularly driving their car hard, is brake cooling. The purpose of a spoiler is to limit air flow under the car. Anyone using a spoiler, who drives their car hard enough to generate a lot of brake heat, should consider some sort of brake cooling. A simple solution is to cut a couple holes in the spoiler and ducting some cooling air to the front brakes. On the race car, we have ducting and hoses bringing air from behind the grill, and from the parking lamp holes, to the front brakes, but this may not be practical on a street car.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by gbvette62
We use the Eckler's front spoiler, on a couple of the Corvette vintage racers that I crew on. Like most aftermarket fiberglass parts, some minor trimming is needed, but once installed, the fit is near perfect on the red 65 we race.

This is the same spoiler on a friend's 66 Corvette, that we help out on occasionally.

We use to use the Camaro spoiler on the red 65. After it got damaged while loading the car in the trailer, we decided to give the Eckler's spoiler a try. The Eckler's spoiler is a little wider, but I think the Camaro one was deeper.

One thing to consider by anyone racing, or regularly driving their car hard, is brake cooling. The purpose of a spoiler is to limit air flow under the car. Anyone using a spoiler, who drives their car hard enough to generate a lot of brake heat, should consider some sort of brake cooling. A simple solution is to cut a couple holes in the spoiler and ducting some cooling air to the front brakes. On the race car, we have ducting and hoses bringing air from behind the grill, and from the parking lamp holes, to the front brakes, but this may not be practical on a street car.
I like the looks of the Ecklers better than the Camaro, wish there were something similar for the C1s; my S10 airdam isn't wide enough to suit my aesthetics and is too low that it drags on driveway approaches.

Bill
Old 04-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Simpler is better....
Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Spoiler installed. Took out a total of six inches - three inches on each side. Fits really nice. I still need to bolt up the reinforcement bars.
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Spoiler installed. Took out a total of six inches - three inches on each side. Fits really nice. I still need to bolt up the reinforcement bars.
Snake very nice job. Don't see where you made the cuts. Nice work. Keep it under 100 MPH!
Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 PM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 978 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Very nice job
Old 04-17-2018, 11:01 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Nice job! Where did you cut it to shorten it and which one did you use?

Tom
Old 04-18-2018, 09:01 AM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sky65
Nice job! Where did you cut it to shorten it and which one did you use?

Tom
That is a 69 Camero spoiler. I cut a three inch section out of each side, used the cut out parts to bolster and glued it back together with GM structural adhesive. Then I dremeled a v groove at the seam and used a small amount of bondo to smooth the cuts. Finally painted semi- gloss black. I have more photos of the process.

Will post up after I wake up.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Here are some process shots
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
Sky65 (04-18-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] Question before I start cutting - spoiler