C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Count does not know what numbers matching means

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
So nice I gotta post it twice:

Another good reason to not watch that over hyped show!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
I find it odd that many complain how stupid these shows are but yet they know all the characters by name. I don't watch any of them. I would rather be in my shop actually building cars instead of sitting in front of a T.V. or on the computer all the time like some.
A few years ago I bought a GMC Yukon from local cop. At the time, his son was 16 and interested in muscle cars. After buying his GMC, he asked if it would be okay to bring his son to my restoration shop so he could check out some old cars. I told him that would be fine.
A few days later they showed up and wandered around looking at cars. The father was constantly referencing popular car shows that they watched together and comparing the cars on TV to what they saw in my shop. Once in a while the dad would ask me if I saw the episode of (fill in the blank) where they had a similar car they worked on. After telling him "No" repeatedly, he asked if I watched those shows.
My response was "Do you watch all of the cop shows?".
He laughed and said he can't. Then he added he understood why I don't watch car shows. I don't think his son had a clue about what all of that meant.

Maybe you had to be there......
The following users liked this post:
redzg (07-13-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:58 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,373 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
My version of classic car hell is being stuck for eternity with that Mark Worman guy dancing lamely, Kindig’s sidekick smirking around in an over-sized ball cap, the loudmouth general manager of the late Boyd Coddington’s shop insulting everyone and the Count telling everyone,”....calm down Bro!” And someone in the background constantly counting down, “....3......2......1” while I’m having to wrestle Mike Brewer’s fat azz for a sub sandwich with Wayne Cassini quietly weeping in the background saying,”I don’t deserve this”

I don't recognize all of the persona's mentioned but I do recognize enough to know it would be hell. I quit watching all the Velocity shows a few years back when Brewer and Ed China opened their SoCal shop.

The really entertaining program is Roadkill, that my son streams from Motor Trend on-line (not recommended for purists, but great to laugh at).

Matching numbers?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tired
A few years ago I bought a GMC Yukon from local cop. At the time, his son was 16 and interested in muscle cars. After buying his GMC, he asked if it would be okay to bring his son to my restoration shop so he could check out some old cars. I told him that would be fine.
A few days later they showed up and wandered around looking at cars. The father was constantly referencing popular car shows that they watched together and comparing the cars on TV to what they saw in my shop. Once in a while the dad would ask me if I saw the episode of (fill in the blank) where they had a similar car they worked on. After telling him "No" repeatedly, he asked if I watched those shows.
My response was "Do you watch all of the cop shows?".
He laughed and said he can't. Then he added he understood why I don't watch car shows. I don't think his son had a clue about what all of that meant.

Maybe you had to be there......
I agree. Being a career firefighter, I can't watch Backdraft or Chicago Fire or any other of those lame shows. The same for all those "reality" car shows. Those who can, do. Those who can't, watch that crap on T.V. and don't know any better.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:21 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I agree. Being a career firefighter, I can't watch Backdraft or Chicago Fire or any other of those lame shows. The same for all those "reality" car shows. Those who can, do. Those who can't, watch that crap on T.V. and don't know any better.
That’s exactly why I can’t watch ****.

Steve

The following 2 users liked this post by RatDog:
2tired (07-11-2018), Frankie the Fink (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:00 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I find it odd that many complain how stupid these shows are but yet they know all the characters by name. I don't watch any of them. I would rather be in my shop actually building cars instead of sitting in front of a T.V. or on the computer all the time like some.
Yyyup!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Some have a TV and computer in the garage and can multi-task, some, unfortunately -- can't....

Hmmm....yesterday I finished taking the shiny bits off the front of the 63 - clay-barred and buffed the entire car, mopped out the garage, took the jet ski out, trimmed the palms out front, serviced the pool equipment and talked to the neighbors for an hour.....and took the wife out to dinner...and afterwards we finished planning our Route 66 trip for next month together....then I read for two hours...

I love being retired and having more than one focus...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-12-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:39 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Those are just TV shows, not reality. Don’t care for their silly theatrics. I agree with 1snake, rather be working on the cars, that’s reality! Call me old fashioned, but all I have in the shop is a radio.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Tough crowd. I like these shows, some more than others, I always pick up tips or new ideas from watching them and quite frankly there isn't much in the way of interesting TV on basic programming packages other than these shows. If you are seriously working on your own projects, you would be more interested in how they are doing things. Other than these shows it's FOX news and rediscovering Perry Mason for me.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by car junkie
Tough crowd. I like these shows, some more than others, I always pick up tips or new ideas from watching them and quite frankly there isn't much in the way of interesting TV on basic programming packages other than these shows. If you are seriously working on your own projects, you would be more interested in how they are doing things. Other than these shows it's FOX news and rediscovering Perry Mason for me.
I don't do much in this hobby that seriously -- or it wouldn't be a hobby... Try to keep it light and pleasurable... Joke around a lot, post silliness at times, try not to insult people or knowingly denigrate their cars -- bu that's just me.

Some wander about with high blood pressure, a scowl and the veins in their neck standing out because nobody knows as much as they do.

As I've said 100 times -- my self-worth is not tied to machines...

Old 07-12-2018, 09:10 AM
car junkie
Drifting

I don't do much in this hobby that seriously -- or it wouldn't be a hobby... Try to keep it light and pleasurable... Joke around a lot, post silliness at times, try not to insult people or knowingly denigrate their cars -- bu that's just me.

Some wander about with high blood pressure, a scowl and the veins in their neck standing out because nobody knows as much as they do.

As I've said 100 times -- my self-worth is not tied to machines...
I've noticed most people on the forum farm out the hard jobs. Hard to keep it "light and pleasurable" when your arms and other body parts are dripping or burning with chemicals stripping off old finishes for days on end. Serious restoration work is a bitch, I don't care how much you like old cars.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

This is not a real car show ! Bugs Bunny is a real show!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I've noticed most people on the forum farm out the hard jobs. Hard to keep it "light and pleasurable" when your arms and other body parts are dripping or burning with chemicals stripping off old finishes for days on end. Serious restoration work is a bitch, I don't care how much you like old cars.
How much chemical stuff do you think I got on me doing my frame detailing and preservation ? Or laying under a car on jack stands to replace the rear springs ? You work at it a little, take a break, cuss/drink beer/smoke cigars/post on the forum -- then go back at it. Its not like when I was dead broke with a stay at home wife and one car and had to get it running at 2 am to get to work the next day.

If a job requires expertise or tools I don't have I have the good fortune to have knowledgeable friends to help out - as in recently overhauling my trailing arms. I don't know why some feel that getting help is so damned awful or an insult to one's manhood - but -- there you have it...

Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 AM
car junkie
Drifting

How much chemical stuff do you think I got on me doing my frame detailing and preservation ? Or laying under a car on jack stands to replace the rear springs ? You work at it a little, take a break, cuss/drink beer/smoke cigars/post on the forum -- then go back at it. Its not like when I was dead broke with a stay at home wife and one car and had to get it running at 2 am to get to work the next day.

If a job requires expertise or tools I don't have I have the good fortune to have knowledgeable friends to help out - as in recently overhauling my trailing arms. I don't know why some feel that getting help is so damned awful or an insult to one's manhood - but -- there you have it...
No offense intended but that's tinkering.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

No offense intended but that's tinkering.

That's what I call a restoration project. Nice job. Most don't realize the commitment of time and energy to properly restore a car, and I don't mean a spray can rebuild. I do everything myself - engine,trans,rear end,trailing arms, body & paint. Nothing gets farmed out including the media blasting of the frame. I'm in the middle of another one.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Counting Cars, that show sucks.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM
car junkie
Drifting

That's what I call a restoration project. Nice job. Most don't realize the commitment of time and energy to properly restore a car, and I don't mean a spray can rebuild. I do everything myself - engine,trans,rear end,trailing arms, body & paint. Nothing gets farmed out including the media blasting of the frame. I'm in the middle of another one.

I took that pic minutes ago, that's what is waiting for me today. Looks like we have much in common. After this I have four more waiting. I don't think anyone can love old cars more than I do but there are jobs I absolutely hate but it's the love for them that gets me through these **** storms.

On the topic at hand, yes the car shows help keeping the momentum going. I have officially incorporated the "paint it twice" method of auto painting in my restoration work, thanks Mark Worman. It actually ended up saving me time and a lot of aggravation. Lots of good tips in between the BS.

Get notified of new replies

To Count does not know what numbers matching means

Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 636 Likes on 422 Posts

I told my brother (who complains about these car shows) watch with the "mute" button on, I do or go out and pull weeds. My form of therapy.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Some have a TV and computer in the garage and can multi-task, some, unfortunately -- can't....

Hmmm....yesterday I finished taking the shiny bits off the front of the 63 - clay-barred and buffed the entire car, mopped out the garage, took the jet ski out, trimmed the palms out front, serviced the pool equipment and talked to the neighbors for an hour.....and took the wife out to dinner...and afterwards we finished planning our Route 66 trip for next month together....then I read for two hours...

I love being retired and having more than one focus...
I do have cable TV in the garage (and I also bootlegged it over to the new building) so that I can see the Duke or Clint or Bogart, and the news if they are on. I DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT watch and cannot stand any of those scripted car shows. YUK! I don't even watch NASCAR any more!
I also have a fridge with ice and water dispenser in the door so that I can have some hydration when needed. My (6 car) garage is NOT a show place, it is a WORKING shop. I had the new building built so that I could move out everything that was in the way to allow me to have my shop back.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
This is the front door/entry to my house---------------------------notice the grandfather clock (which by the way, I made in 1978).

The grandfather clock opened------------without and with the camera flash on.And yes, it's loaded, but not chambered.

That’s a beautiful clock! And very functional in more than one way <LOL>.

And i’m guessing that’s not mistletoe over the door.

In case I ever come to visit, I’ve made a note to call first.

Quick Reply: Count does not know what numbers matching means