C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Windshield Install for 65 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:55 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can say that if you replaced h clips with the new 3 level clip design that they sell now. I have to use my clip releasing tool to open the clip up so the trim can now get in where the catch fingers are in these new clips. From my experience...Trying to press on the molding trim does not work like it does on the original clips due to the angled ramp that the original clips had made into the clip so it can slide in and catch with little effort. These new design clips can make it feel like you hit a wall when tryrig to get it to go down and catch.

DUB
Old 11-13-2018, 11:28 AM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I can say that if you replaced h clips with the new 3 level clip design that they sell now. I have to use my clip releasing tool to open the clip up so the trim can now get in where the catch fingers are in these new clips. From my experience...Trying to press on the molding trim does not work like it does on the original clips due to the angled ramp that the original clips had made into the clip so it can slide in and catch with little effort. These new design clips can make it feel like you hit a wall when tryrig to get it to go down and catch.

DUB
Thanks Dub! These are the new clips. I installed the lower moulding before I installed the windshield, but I removed it since you can't seal in behind it with the windshield in. I opened the clips up, just a tad, like another forum member suggested but it's still not catching. I'm wondering if I have to much sealant in the channel and clips. I did manage to get a couple to hold.

Thanks,
Dex.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:41 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,025 Likes on 684 Posts

Have not installed yet, but found I was missing a few clips and bought the new rep ops. To me, they looked too long and might contact the back of the trim before clipping on the trim edge. Anyway, obtained a few more originals. Hopefully no issues at install.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM
58n65
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
Have not installed yet, but found I was missing a few clips and bought the new rep ops. To me, they looked too long and might contact the back of the trim before clipping on the trim edge. Anyway, obtained a few more originals. Hopefully no issues at install.
I had a few originals that needed to be really cleaned, but I thought the new ones would work. I might pull the piece back off and clean some of the sealant out to see if that's the problem.

Thanks,
Dex.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:29 PM
smuggler85
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Most of the glass shops today freak out when you tell them its rubber gaskets and rope. I did a lot of searching to find an experienced shop to do mine - a young guy who owns a few classic Mopars himself. I was real lucky as he drove 2 1/2 hours to my home and we installed the Pilkington glass in my garage. He did the installation and sealing and I installed the trim the next day. My original clips were trash so I used re-pops from Paragon. I found the best way to install the lower molding was to cut some thin brass shim stock to 1" x 5" strips and used them to guide the molding into the clips.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,025 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by smuggler85
Most of the glass shops today freak out when you tell them its rubber gaskets and rope. I did a lot of searching to find an experienced shop to do mine - a young guy who owns a few classic Mopars himself. I was real lucky as he drove 2 1/2 hours to my home and we installed the Pilkington glass in my garage. He did the installation and sealing and I installed the trim the next day. My original clips were trash so I used re-pops from Paragon. I found the best way to install the lower molding was to cut some thin brass shim stock to 1" x 5" strips and used them to guide the molding into the clips.
That is the GM recommended way for the trim on the back glass for the hardtop. Don’t understand why not for the front glass.

Quick Reply: [C2] Windshield Install for 65 Convertible