C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Your thoughts on this 1963 Split Window

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:23 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

The before version if it is Green (not black) is my dream car. Stinger hood and mags w/12" rear tires. Add sidepipes, big cubes small block (421, etc), T56 or TKO600 and 4.11 rear gears and I am good to go.
Like I said....there's an *** for every seat.
I personally don't like Red corvettes even though my 67 Camaro was a red coupe, RS/SS with a black primer stinger hood and a white stripe around the nose.

You and your crew did a great job. GLWS

Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

doesn’t mater. The day two street machine look is way better then what your crew did. But that’s just me.
I guess everyone has different likes and dislikes. I prefer the current resto-mod version.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

that’s what makes this hobby great young and old like diffreant things
I agree. While I am not young nor old (yet), I prefer the resto-mods over the purist vehicles. However, if this split window would have not had any modifications prior and it were numbers matching, I would have restored it as original simply because of what it is. However, since the vehicle did not start as numbers matching when I purchased the vehicle, I upgraded the vehicle with modern technology and conveniences. Thank you again for your input.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmans vette
The before version if it is Green (not black) is my dream car. Stinger hood and mags w/12" rear tires. Add sidepipes, big cubes small block (421, etc), T56 or TKO600 and 4.11 rear gears and I am good to go.
Like I said....there's an *** for every seat.
I personally don't like Red corvettes even though my 67 Camaro was a red coupe, RS/SS with a black primer stinger hood and a white stripe around the nose.

You and your crew did a great job. GLWS

Thank you.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage Steel
I agree. While I am not young nor old (yet), I prefer the resto-mods over the purist vehicles. However, if this split window would have not had any modifications prior and it were numbers matching, I would have restored it as original simply because of what it is. However, since the vehicle did not start as numbers matching when I purchased the vehicle, I upgraded the vehicle with modern technology and conveniences. Thank you again for your input.
Threr’s room in my garage for original and modified cars. Some days I like driving one, some days I like driving the others.

Curious to see what you do with the next one.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:26 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Here are some pictures before...

Pictures can be very deceiving! IMCO opinion the reason the responses have been so polarizing on your car is one because it's a SWC and mostly because it's a mix of day two and current restomod, Looking at the before pictures I think many see it as it doesn't seem like it looked real bad to start with. Again based on the pictures. I believe many see it could have been a candidate for a period weekend road racer as opposed to a restomod. Knowing that you build/restore cars I think your vision is more towards perfection as opposed to driver quality so therefore it was total teardown and remake instead of a budget minded safety and reliability go through and get it back on the road. Going forward you need to build what you like but knowing a day two type car or a full blown restomod seems to have a better audience than somewhere in between. Again I like your car and appreciate the effort that went into the build. My personal preference is a day two car with some drivability and comfort updates. This car looks like it could have been a good starting point for something like that,
Best of luck with the sale on this one and digest all the feedback and follow your vision on the next one.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Pictures can be very deceiving! IMCO opinion the reason the responses have been so polarizing on your car is one because it's a SWC and mostly because it's a mix of day two and current restomod, Looking at the before pictures I think many see it as it doesn't seem like it looked real bad to start with. Again based on the pictures. I believe many see it could have been a candidate for a period weekend road racer as opposed to a restomod. Knowing that you build/restore cars I think your vision is more towards perfection as opposed to driver quality so therefore it was total teardown and remake instead of a budget minded safety and reliability go through and get it back on the road. Going forward you need to build what you like but knowing a day two type car or a full blown restomod seems to have a better audience than somewhere in between. Again I like your car and appreciate the effort that went into the build. My personal preference is a day two car with some drivability and comfort updates. This car looks like it could have been a good starting point for something like that,
Best of luck with the sale on this one and digest all the feedback and follow your vision on the next one.

I will respectfully disagree. IMHO a drive for perfection on the finished product would not have included an interior with mismatched instrument cluster and clock along with a later console. Then you add the seats which look like C3 era. While there is nothing wrong wth selecting creature comfort items to your benefit and taste this interior looks like it was cobbled together from a visit to a salvage yard trailer, selecting whatever would fit in a hurry in order to get the car out of the shop.

The thought, creativity and labor put into the body work and paint was definitely not carried through on the interior; which detracts from the finished product overall. You want to build a high quality, high dollar restomod you can’t quit part way through.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
.........this interior looks like it was cobbled together from a visit to a salvage yard..........
I agree.

Sad............but true.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:00 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE

I will respectfully disagree. IMHO a drive for perfection on the finished product would not have included an interior with mismatched instrument cluster and clock along with a later console. Then you add the seats which look like C3 era. While there is nothing wrong wth selecting creature comfort items to your benefit and taste this interior looks like it was cobbled together from a visit to a salvage yard trailer, selecting whatever would fit in a hurry in order to get the car out of the shop.

The thought, creativity and labor put into the body work and paint was definitely not carried through on the interior; which detracts from the finished product overall. You want to build a high quality, high dollar restomod you can’t quit part way through.
No disrespect taken after all this entire thread is based on opinions and personal taste. IMCO I was referring to the builder's vision of perfect whether being for personal or financial reasons. Certainly not yours or mine for that matter. It's all good even it gets a bit harsh. I think Vintage Steel knew he wasn't about to get universal approval when he started this tread. If not he sure knows now.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

No disrespect taken after all this entire thread is based on opinions and personal taste. IMCO I was referring to the builder's vision of perfect whether being for personal or financial reasons. Certainly not yours or mine for that matter. It's all good even it gets a bit harsh. I think Vintage Steel knew he wasn't about to get universal approval when he started this tread. If not he sure knows now.
Yes, I knew it would not be a universal approval. Also, you are correct. I did strive for a flawless/perfection build rather than a daily driver.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Thank you for the input. When I think of a "day two" car, I think of a slightly modified period correct vehicle. I do not think the "day two" cars (or builds) go far enough into the modernization of the vehicles. I built the split window with this in mind. I want to make it more modernized for safety, performance and comfort but still have enough of the classic look to still be a classic. Thank you again for the input.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Vintage Steel
Advanced

Well, the Split Window is in Las Vegas at Mecum. I will keep you all posted on how the auction went. Thanks again for all the input.

http://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1118-334...-window-coupe/

Old 11-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Best of Luck.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by daz_au
I think its just the wheels, the all wheel no tire especially on the 20 gives it a polarizing look which I dont think suits an auction.

I would take it down to 18's, thats what is on this car and it is universally adored :

Universally adored ? Really ?
I didn't get the memo...

Old 11-13-2018, 03:30 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I didn't get the memo...
I didn't either. Perhaps 'universally adored' means that somebody out there in this vast universe adores it. Hello? Are you out there? Hello?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:10 PM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

Hello. I am new to the forum and looking for feedback on my 1963 Corvette Split Window. I know it is not for you purists. However, I am looking for honest feedback (good or bad). I built the car to take to auction. I am building another and thought I would get some input from the crowd. Thank you in advance. Here is the link to the auction listing:

http://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1118-334...-window-coupe/

Again, Thank you for your input both good and bad.

This is what a high dollar, well done restomod split window looks like. I took the pictures at SEMA this year.

Last edited by gowenfast; 11-13-2018 at 07:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KC John (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by gowenfast

This is what a high dollar, well done restomod split window looks like. I took the pictures at SEMA this year.
What in the hell did they do to this body. Big old fenders on the front and maybe back. Keep on tearing them up. Just makes my car more valuable.

Get notified of new replies

To Your thoughts on this 1963 Split Window

Old 11-13-2018, 08:30 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I didn't get the memo...
I am referring to pop culture, it was the basis of a car in the F8 movie and got a lot of adoration as such from the non retirement home crowd.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by daz_au
I am referring to pop culture, it was the basis of a car in the F8 movie and got a lot of adoration as such from the non retirement home crowd.

I am of the non retirement home crowd and never seen more the five minutes of those films and can't wait until those wagon wheel fad dies on old cars. and to think I got laugh at when I told people I was getting bigger wheels on my Chevelle when I went from 14" to 15"
Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I am of the non retirement home crowd and never seen more the five minutes of those films and can't wait until those wagon wheel fad dies on old cars. and to think I got laugh at when I told people I was getting bigger wheels on my Chevelle when I went from 14" to 15"

You're going to have a long *** wait.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this 1963 Split Window