C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Door Fitting on the '63.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:19 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Don't know about the C2 cars but the doors on the C1 will drop a little at the rear when the glass and all the other parts, including door panel, are installed. Lots of guys enlarge mounting holes in door when needed. Why not, if it helps. The factory guys even had to bend the coupe doors at top to fit.
Kind of surprising how light the doors are on the '63. They are empty, and I just held them up with one arm inside the door, while locating and screwing the bolts into place on the hinges. It's been awhile, but I think the door's on my '62 were a lot heavier.

Pat
Old 11-29-2018, 11:21 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,025 Likes on 684 Posts

First, I don't do this work. But, my body guy did and excellent job on my 64 which sits as yours but painted. What he did was align the front of the door/body line and gap to the front fender, ignoring everything else. Then he put weight, I think he told me 5 or maybe it was 10 # in the door and aligned the rear of the body to the rest of the door. I can post a picture, but they both are slightly high in the rear and perfect in front. Maybe 1/8" high. He assures me with the weight of the glass and mechanism it will drop to near perfect. If not, he'll work on the rear body shims. Maybe that helps.

PS, he did this when the body was in primer and bare, then repeated the process after paint. Can't wait till paint to do it.

Last edited by pop23235; 11-29-2018 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:36 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pop23235
First, I don't do this work. But, my body guy did and excellent job on my 64 which sits as yours but painted. What he did was align the front of the door/body line and gap to the front fender, ignoring everything else. Then he put weight, I think he told me 5 or maybe it was 10 # in the door and aligned the rear of the body to the rest of the door. I can post a picture, but they both are slightly high in the rear and perfect in front. Maybe 1/8" high. He assures me with the weight of the glass and mechanism it will drop to near perfect. If not, he'll work on the rear body shims. Maybe that helps.

PS, he did this when the body was in primer and bare, then repeated the process after paint. Can't wait till paint to do it.
Darn….I wish I was in paint, but I can't rush things!

Glad you have yours coming along.

Pat
Old 11-30-2018, 07:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I would NOT enlarge those hinge holes, most especially not if the doors fit previously....

I use John McGraw's method of alignment with the striker out of the door and some shaved wooden sticks to align the door from the inside while somebody observers from the outside (or your inspection camera does for you)...

My body/paint guy tweaked my gaps to eliminate some of the factory shortcomings....like the excessive gap you see on many original cars at the top front of the passenger door where it meets the fender...
Old 11-30-2018, 07:22 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Thanks Dan. That's just about the point where I'm at now.

Do you recommend a type of filler? I've been using VPA, and that stuff is hard as stone! But Dub had told me to shape it and get it close before it sets up completely, and that did help a lot.

Or, do you suggest to place more glass on top to blend in the body?

Thanks again,

Pat

Pat
I most recently used Rage products and liked Rage Gold more than the slightly higher priced Rage Ultra I think it was. It sands very well.

I'm not sure what most of the professionals recommend any more but for my own thinking I try not to go over about 1/8 inch in filler thickness for smaller areas and if it's a larger area that may even be a bit more than a good practice. If you have any areas needing more than that, my own practice would be to build it up with some fiberglass first.

One suggestion for areas like top of fender lines at the doors, you may not only need to fill the low side, but also in blocking you will take a little off of the high side as long as your maintain uniform lines and don't distort any body features. In other words with a 1/8" offset, you may end up with 3/32" filler on the low side and take 1/32" off the high side when blocking it all down flush.

Also, everyone likes tight panel gaps any more but I would never try to get them less than at least a full 1/8" while still in bare fiberglass - even a bit more wouldn't hurt. By the time all the primers, sealers, base coats and clear coats are applied, you will end up with almost no gap and probably have some issues with edges when trying to open doors. Corvette panel gaps were originally never all that precise or tight anyway. And all panel edges need to be eased with a small but distinct radius inside and outside to help panels pass by each other when the door is opened or hood raised. Helps prevent accidental chips in finished paint.

Dub over in the Paint and Body section can give you some far more experienced advice on the subject.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 11-30-2018 at 07:32 AM.
ptjsk (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

I have no experience aligning the doors, but it would seem to me that you would want to, as already suggested, align with the doors loaded. Also, since the body was removed, I would drive it around a bit and let the body flex and seat back on the frame. Maybe you have done that already. I don't know if that does anything, but it can't hurt.
ptjsk (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Thanks Guys,

it's definitely getting better, still more to do.

Need to get another shim in the back to close the gap as Tim, and Jim pointed out.

Pat

That side is not bad at all Pat and looks very much like my coupe fit after it came out of the body shop last year- and the gaps were 'massaged' a bit by a guy with 48 years of experience on Corvettes solely...

As Dan has noted - you need to decide the point of "diminishing returns" when excessively tight gaps are going to cause problems down the road - literally...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-30-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:02 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That side is not bad at all Pat and looks very much like my coupe fit after it came out of the body shop last year- and the gaps were 'massaged' a bit by a guy with 48 years of experience on Corvettes solely...

As Dan has noted - you need to decide the point of "diminishing returns" when excessively tight gaps are going to cause problems down the road - literally...

Those gaps look nice Frankie!

I will definitely need to open up the gaps. Before I took it apart the gaps were already too tight, causing a big chip in the front fender at the beltline.

I will keep at it until I get it right,

Pat
Old 11-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

What the heck is wrong with this?
I think the door fitment now looks great
These cars were never perfect from day one when they were first built.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:17 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
What the heck is wrong with this?
I think the door fitment now looks great
These cars were never perfect from day one when they were first built.
Hey Rich,

I've arrived at this point after much work. I still have a bit to do to tighten up the rear top, and also to create more of a gap at the front edge of the entire door.

It's definitely getting closer though.

Pat
Old 11-30-2018, 07:22 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Again, closing the gap, but what do you guys think about this? I just don't like that lower rear corner on the driver's side door.

Am I expecting too much, or are many fitting like this?

Pat

Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Again, closing the gap, but what do you guys think about this? I just don't like that lower rear corner on the driver's side door.

Pat

Pat,

That lower drivers side fit is normal, I remember on my 67 I cut the rear fender leg off and ground it then rebounded to level this area. Did the car leave St Louis like that, my bet is yes.

You may be able to fill a little on the door up to a point where it does not look to fat in this area.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Pat how was the fit before you took the doors off? As I remember your car was quite original. I ask because I checked both my 63 SW and my 67 convertible and both cars have what I consider good factory fit and the fender to doors line match very well on all of them, however the 63 driver's side would be considered the worse similar to yours. I think that you are very close unless you had better fit before disassembly. Great job by the way. The car is going to be amazing like your other cars.

Jay

Last edited by deejaydu; 11-30-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Don't know how to fix but car would not of left factory with doors fit as shown.
ptjsk (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:48 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Pat how was the fit before you took the doors off? As I remember your car was quite original. I ask because I checked both my 63 SW and my 67 convertible and both cars have what I consider good factory fit and the fender to doors line match very well on all of them, however the 63 driver's side would be considered the worse similar to yours. I think that you are very close unless you had better fit before disassembly. Great job by the way. The car is going to be amazing like your other cars.

Jay
Hello Jay,

You're right, the car was very original, but the fit of the doors definitely left a bit to be desired. I think I already have them better than they were, but the driver's door (lower rear), sure seems to go in farther then it should.

Thanks for the positive comments,

Pat
Old 11-30-2018, 11:53 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Why is it that when you have taken over 700 pictures, you're still unable to get the exact angle you're looking for? LOL!

I can definitely see that driver's door fitting the exact same prior to taking it apart though.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 11-30-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:23 AM
milano maroon
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Having worked on my own doors recently I can appreciate the amount of effort you have expended getting them to this point. They look good!

What was your experience when installing the weatherstripping? Did it change things at all?
ptjsk (12-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Door Fitting on the '63.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:19 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Pat

IMO those look good and that kick out at the bottom is very typical of how the cars left the factory. The kick out on the bottom of my doors is much worse than yours and I see many cars with it worse than yours. One rear fender on mine is original and the other I had to replace. Without sectioning the door pillar fiberglass and the lower fender dogleg - there was nothing I could do to improve in when I installed the new fender - ended up looking just like the one I cut off and the other side. Some cars managed to get out of the factory with fairly good fit in that area and may have been slightly filled in during repaints to look almost perfect down there. Other's did major surgery and rebuilding down in that area as tbarb described above and made them look perfect. So it depends if you want to make them perfect or live with how GM produced them with some imperfection.
ptjsk (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:23 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Lower door to rear fender fit on my car on side with original door and rear fender.

ptjsk (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:58 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by milano maroon
Having worked on my own doors recently I can appreciate the amount of effort you have expended getting them to this point. They look good!

What was your experience when installing the weatherstripping? Did it change things at all?
Hey Jeff,

Just received the door rubber yesterday (Corvette Rubber Company), so that will be my next step. I'll tape them on as best I can and give it a go.

After that, I will begin to shape and shave the edges to get the gap correct all the way around the doors.

Pat

Quick Reply: Door Fitting on the '63.