C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Smoke from starter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 12:06 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

"Pink wire in the morning, driver take warning!"
Old 03-26-2019, 01:27 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

You might check your capacitors. Years ago I was driving along, everything good and suddenly a pop and billow of smoke from under the dash. Did the same thing as you, jumped out got fire extinguisher and looked under dash and hood and could find nothing. Car started normally and everything good. When I got home I took flashlight and examined under the dash and the capacitor on the back of the ammeter had blown. Must have developed an internal short and blew the thing apart. Since it is only there for radio noise suppression, it didn't affect anything and all systems worked normally. Was a scary moment as there was a huge smoke cloud and smell of burning wiring.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Let's think about this a bit - the OP mentions nothing about smoke in the cockpit, so a dash wiring issue would have had to exude smoke - down through the fresh air vents where it wafted out the cowl grilles (opposite the normal flow of fresh air), again, without any smoke at the dash. That makes no sense to me...

I still pose that the smoke was from the rear of the hood and consequently - something in the engine bay is the source of the problem...
Old 03-26-2019, 04:38 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Let's think about this a bit - the OP mentions nothing about smoke in the cockpit, so a dash wiring issue would have had to exude smoke - down through the fresh air vents where it wafted out the cowl grilles (opposite the normal flow of fresh air), again, without any smoke at the dash. That makes no sense to me...

I still pose that the smoke was from the rear of the hood and consequently - something in the engine bay is the source of the problem...
I was thinking that way back in post #3. Thanks for reinforcing my brain wave.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:02 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

About four years ago the starter on my 67 300hp car gave a loud noise and locked up on the flywheel. Scared the heck out of me because I had a vision of hydrolock because I could not move the crankshaft back and forth with the belt. After I removed the starter the problem turned out to be the cheap aftermarket starter drive someone installed before I owned the car. I can't remember exactly, I think it came apart but you could still hear the fork pull in when trying to crank but nothing.

No smoke though but I did not hold the key on the crank position after the noise. I went on eBay and purchased all GM NOS parts to overhaul the starter and no more issues.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:09 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by tbarb
About four years ago the starter on my 67 300hp car gave a loud noise and locked up on the flywheel. Scared the heck out of me because I had a vision of hydrolock because I could not move the crankshaft back and forth with the belt. After I removed the starter the problem turned out to be the cheap aftermarket starter drive someone installed before I owned the car. I can't remember exactly, I think it came apart but you could still hear the fork pull in when trying to crank but nothing.

No smoke though but I did not hold the key on the crank position after the noise. I went on eBay and purchased all GM NOS parts to overhaul the starter and no more issues.
This is very interesting. In 40 years of being in the industry with I don't know how many starter replacement/rebuilds/installs, I have never run across this as a technician. You got extremely lucky it didn't damage the ring gear on the flywheel!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 05:13 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,040 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

See Post #2....Common!! I want to be right!!!!!! After all OP said the starter was functional post episode..............

Last edited by dcamick; 03-26-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Agree with engine bay short...which cut power to the starter...smoked for effect. Frame-off restoration should cover it

Last edited by Crunch527; 03-26-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:24 AM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
You might be as well served flushing a $100 bill down the commode.

If you cannot afford to waste $100 here and there for better safety & reliability. You need to get out of the Classic Car Hobby and try something cheaper like fishing for a Hobby.

Last edited by CorvetteMikeB; 03-27-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
If you cannot afford to waste $100 here and there for better safety & reliability. You need to get out of the Classic Car Hobby and try something cheaper like fishing for a Hobby.
You haven't shown there is any evidence the starter is bad, let alone that a new starter will improve safety and reliability.

I would rather fix the problem that just blindly throw money at it. I wasted some money over 60 years ago when I took up the car hobby. I got smarter as I went along.

I try not to waste money, that's why I gave up fishing. Have you priced a new bass boat lately?

Last edited by MikeM; 03-27-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:27 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Funniest Post this year!!!

Old 03-27-2019, 11:33 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTOguy
This is very interesting. In 40 years of being in the industry with I don't know how many starter replacement/rebuilds/installs, I have never run across this as a technician. You got extremely lucky it didn't damage the ring gear on the flywheel!!!
I wish I could remember how it jammed and locked the engine but I was very happy (thrilled) to just have to overhaul the starter, I think it just all came apart into the flywheel teeth. I too had never seen anything like it in the past, I installed all NOS brushes, nose bushing, rear plate w/bushing, starter drive, fork lever, etc.

I don't know if it's got anything to do with the O/P 's problem but if he can't locate the short that caused the smoke he has to take a look at the starter.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tbarb
I wish I could remember how it jammed and locked the engine but I was very happy (thrilled) to just have to overhaul the starter, I think it just all came apart into the flywheel teeth. I too had never seen anything like it in the past, I installed all NOS brushes, nose bushing, rear plate w/bushing, starter drive, fork lever, etc.

I don't know if it's got anything to do with the O/P 's problem but if he can't locate the short that caused the smoke he has to take a look at the starter.
I couldn't get to sleep if I knew my car made smoke, still runs, and I didn't know why. This much I know. Broken cars cannot heal themselves. I think Frank is right-the smoke came from under the hood. If he couldn't smell it, it didn't come from inside. 55 year old plastic insulation has an acrid odor no shnoz can soon forget. And...a little wire can make a lot of smoke and stink, just as does a drop of gasoline.

My money ($1.75) is on burned insulation on the starter field coils. I think the sucker jammed and got hot, then freed itself. I'd be examining every wire under the hood as well as replacing/rebuilding the starter. Leave speculation to the rest of us, as the risk of fire is in your garage, not ours.

Dan
The following 2 users liked this post by dplotkin:
Dan Hampton (03-28-2019), GTOguy (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 02:17 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dplotkin
I couldn't get to sleep if I knew my car made smoke, still runs, and I didn't know why. This much I know. Broken cars cannot heal themselves. I think Frank is right-the smoke came from under the hood. If he couldn't smell it, it didn't come from inside. 55 year old plastic insulation has an acrid odor no shnoz can soon forget. And...a little wire can make a lot of smoke and stink, just as does a drop of gasoline.

My money ($1.75) is on burned insulation on the starter field coils. I think the sucker jammed and got hot, then freed itself. I'd be examining every wire under the hood as well as replacing/rebuilding the starter. Leave speculation to the rest of us, as the risk of fire is in your garage, not ours.

Dan
I couldn't agree more, find the cause regardless of what the opinions are here..
Old 03-27-2019, 03:01 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

Its possible oil seeped into the starter and the arc from the motor brushes ignited the oil. Is your starter wet with oil?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

After years in avionics I'll tell you that intermittent problems are the WORST..
The OP may never again have a problem, or he might tomorrow...

Too bad the tools to do a "growler" test are so rare now....
If the problem can't be located at least carry a fire extinguisher and have a battery cutoff switch...
Old 03-27-2019, 05:06 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The FIRST step is to look for overheated insulation instead of going off half cocked and tearing the whole car down.

Mr Fuffy Doo hasn't bothered to check back in since he posted to see responses he's getting.

Just unhook the battery cable until you get a chance to look it over.

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke from starter?

Old 03-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The FIRST step is to look for overheated insulation instead of going off half cocked and tearing the whole car down.

Mr Fuffy Doo hasn't bothered to check back in since he posted to see responses he's getting.

No argument - I was a step or two past the physical inspection part...
Swelled or melted insulation on any of the fusible links (even if they don't blow) are a giveaway...
Old 03-27-2019, 05:28 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

If Mr FuFu does come back, do you think you could come back from fishing to help him out?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,040 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by GTOguy
If Mr FuFu does come back, do you think you could come back from fishing to help him out?
LOL!!!!

Quick Reply: Smoke from starter?