C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

So what do you guys think this car is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 331 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Re: So what do you guys think this car is worth? (JL66REDCPE)

How do I say this with out stirring up alot of controversy

Under $ 7000.00 you can purchase a datecoded correct short block with correct broach marks and stamped vin That is proposed to pass any bodys inspection as an original motor to the car

As DALE PEARLMAN ONCE SAID

There going to be alot of mad masons out there when they start going to restore there old dump trucks and all the good motors are gone

I still say to tom if you found a nice car GET IT

Old 01-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: So what do you guys think this car is worth? (Tom McCabe)

...................well, you gonna buy the car :confused:
Old 01-14-2003, 10:15 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Default Re: So what do you guys think this car is worth? (Kid_Again)

Well,

I went and looked at the car and took another friend with me, the car was AWSOME, looked great, drives great, over all a great car. Even though the owner had all the date and parts 3's written down, I looked up all the numbers and acceptable date codes with me and cheched all the visible ones, I will have to take his word for the heads, And they all matched, and were correct.

My friend who went with couldn't believe that the car had been driven at all after being restored the frame and suspention was so clean with the excepton of a few mi-shots from the grease gun. The car along with the guys other 4 corvettes were all stored in a climate controlled garage with full carpeting except for the one "working" bay. So obviously not the type of person you would have to worry about buying a car from, There were no leaks under the car on the mat on the carpet either.

He asked aftyer the inspection what I thought about the car and I told him there was only 3 things I didn't like, the wipers were incorrect and a few other small things and he agreed to change what I didn't like,

The moral of the story is the car is less than $50K, but I think i am going to buy it.

Tom
Old 01-14-2003, 11:13 AM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Tom,
Not to stir the pot too much here, but if you go to autotrader.com, there are 16 C2 427's listed under 50K. The cars that are over 50K are mostly 400-425 #'s matching cars - the 'kings' so to say; or low mileage originals.
If you look at 390 horse cars, you should be able to get a restored #'s matching one for darn close to 50K. Of course you would need to add in insp/trans costs if it's half way across the country.
If you are stuck on 67, that's the way it is, if you would consider 66 you can do even better than above.
My humble 2c.

:seeya :chevy
Old 01-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Daren Schneider
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last pt. A frame off is a least $20,000. A conv is a least $5000 more and a C2 in bad shape is $10,000. The car needs what wiper blades. If that car was matching numbers is would be would at least $55,000. I penalized $10,000 on the engine to arrive at $45K. I think it is a fair price considering. :grouphug:
Old 01-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: So what do you guys think this car is worth? (Daren Schneider)

....67's are WAY over rated....buncha' surfer boys :rofl:

....make your money work for you and get a nice '66 427 'vert
Old 01-14-2003, 05:31 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Default Re: So what do you guys think this car is worth? (Kid_Again)

Well,

I am stuck on a '67 I just love that hood, the reason that I am considering this car more than most is the condition, I am looking for a car to drive that is nice, ie local show quality, although it may never be entered in one, I looked at alot of midyear bigblocks for $65K that weren't exactually what I wanted but would settle for them, I haven't seen alot of real nice as in new paint, interior ect for less than $60K no matter what BB motor, that this car an original smallblock would be worth about $35 to $40K, just the BB motor I figure is worth at least 3 or 4,000 if I decide to put a correct moto r in it for $7K I will have less than $55K in an "numbers match " car.

Tom
Old 01-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

If it's what you want and can afford, do it Tom. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time looking back and saying " i shoulda bought it when I had the chance" . Sounds like you have found a pretty pristine car with an owner that really took care of it. The next one may be a long way down that road and summers coming and all of those nice cruise nights. :steering: :seeya
Old 01-15-2003, 12:42 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Well,
The moral of the story is the car is less than $50K, but I think i am going to buy it.

Tom
:thumbs: Go for it. :D ...... :cheers: Post some pics when you get it home.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:47 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Tom, I have to ask you..... after you thoroughly inspected this awesome car, completely restored, immaculate, extremely clean 67 bigblock....... and the seller asked you what you thought........ and you replied that the wipers were incorrect........... did he smack you in the head? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds very nice! I hope you buy it!! :) MJ
Old 01-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

...hey, you're going after what you want - that's the name of the game

...you struck a chord when you said that you're in love with the '67 bb hood....in many ways, the "67 bb" look continues to be the emblem of performance vehicles - when was the last time you saw a picture of a hemi cuda or cobra as an attention grabber?

...i'm just trying to make sure you jump into this with your eyes open...fwiw, i completely agree about the '67 look even though i bust chops on that...heck, i'm trimming out my '65 vert with the bb hood and '67 rallyes because i like the look so much - think about it...... :yesnod:

..."gee mister, is that a 67 corvette????".....no son, it's a 63 split window coupe, i just left the split window back at home :rolleyes:
Old 01-15-2003, 08:29 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO 35-45k - if you like colors, details, options, restoration work.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:10 AM
BobG
Race Director

Received 3,572 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I'm gonna jump in with the rest of the folks who say "buy it". It sounds like the car is coming from someone who really appreciates his cars. I'd be willing to bet that it had the "best of everything" when it was restored. I believe that quality of workmanship will significantly increase the value of any car, matching numbers or not. That workmanship isn't going to go away over the next few years either if you decide to sell it. I also think the time will come when "numbers matching" will not be the price driver. Whatever, it sure sounds like a nice car!!
Old 01-15-2003, 10:06 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Default Re: So what do you guys think this car is worth? (BobG)

Mark, He knew they were incorrect, just that I was the first one to notice.

GT's 58 I do have some pics I could e-mail to someone if they can post, i don't know how

Tom
Old 01-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Not to sound like a newbie, or to offend anyone, but does anyone have any links for ANY bigblock midyear for $35K?

Tom
heres one... $29,995............ 66-4Dont FLAME me...I just answered his question :lolg:
http://www.proteam-corvette.com/cars/320S.htm
Old 01-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, did you buy this car or did you pass? Sounds like a nicely done car and didn't it meet your requirements? Would like to see pictures if you have them.

Quick Reply: So what do you guys think this car is worth?