Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts - Why So Hard to Find?

Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Or you could play it "Old School"!! and put a torque "bar" in there to stop the engine from twisting out of the mounts...

(As pictured, this engine made over 900hp and drove the car ('66 Vette) into the high 9's.) (I know the owner, driver, chassis-guy, and engine builder)
My old 67 Camaro had one of those "bars" too. Came in real handy when the 406 snapped the left mount and tried to come thru the hood. Certainly is cheap insurance.

Also, my dad had a 69 Impala way back when and they had a recall for defective motor mounts. He took it in for the recall and their "fix" was to add a piece of steel cable around the upper a-arm bolt and the exhaust manifold. You think they could have just replaced the defective mount.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Razorhorn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I saw these at Auto Zone last night. They were Energy Suspension poly's and didn't look like they were interlocking. I'll check again.

I know I can find these on line, but I was hoping to drop the motor in this weekend and I falsely assumed these interlocking mounts were easy to find... I'll stop back by AZ on the way home today.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:51 PM
WayneLBurnham
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yeah, safety chains, torque straps, front torque plates...

all some safety options like driveshaft safety loops (if less critical, unless a fuel line ruptures on an engine twist). Some of these in some set ups - like the torque plates - can improve frame rigidity on some designs - I don't know about on C3's.

The motor mounts should be more than enough though!
Old 07-15-2005, 04:32 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, but that picture was taken in the late eighties and the engine was mounted on rubber. The chain was to keep the engine on the frame and off the track. It also helped RT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Mounts - Why So Hard to Find?