Sponsored by:

Replacing interior t-top center panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Replacing interior t-top center panel

I bought a nice used interior t-top center panel off eBay to replace my cracked up piece. What I am seeing in the AIM and by looking at the replacement panel is that I need to remove the top part (the stainless piece) of the t-top center. Is this the reveal molding? Anyway, I've got all the screws out and I am wondering what to do about the 2 rivets. I know I'll have to drill em out but what about when it's time to put it back together? What have you guys done to hold down the rear portion of this panel?

Also, after I got the screws out of it, I tried to pull it up on the front but it won't budge. Is the front of it bonded or clipped from underneath?

Brett
Old 07-21-2005, 08:17 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Do WHAT!

If you are replacing the INTERIOR trim between the T-Tops why on earth would you think that you have to pull off the stainless trim on top?

First remove the overhead light screws and then un-clip the two bulb holders from the light housing to remove it. Then take off the front windshield interior header plastic trim and next loosen the rear overhead halos and it will slip out. jim

Last edited by PROSOUTH; 07-21-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PROSOUTH
Do WHAT!

If you are replacing the INTERIOR trim between the T-Tops why on earth would you think that you have to pull off the stainless trim on top?

First remove the overhead light screws and then un-clip the two bulb holders from the light housing to remove it. Then take off the front windshield interior header plastic trim and next loosen the rear overhead halos and it will slip out. jim
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PROSOUTH
Do WHAT!

The interior piece has studs. Aren't there nuts under the top piece to go on these studs?? Also, my old center panel has no light, neither does the one from eBay. This is on a 74.

Brett
Old 07-21-2005, 10:46 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are not studs with nuts they just spring in and out.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LYLE
They are not studs with nuts they just spring in and out.
Maybe that's why my old one was cracked and had a sag in it. What holds the studs?

Brett
Old 07-22-2005, 12:44 AM
scotty13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the clips that grip the studs are inside the steel of the center bar "birdcage". if you ever do take the stainless piece off be VERY VERY CAREFULL there is a tar like glue sealing it down in several areas if you pry on it it will mostlikley bend and it will never look right again....

Old 07-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Originally Posted by scotty13
the clips that grip the studs are inside the steel of the center bar "birdcage". if you ever do take the stainless piece off be VERY VERY CAREFULL there is a tar like glue sealing it down in several areas if you pry on it it will mostlikley bend and it will never look right again....

OK. Thanks for the help. More than likely the clip grips are worn out which is why my old one was cracked. Not going to take off the stainless trim for that....that's what velcro is for!

Brett
Old 07-22-2005, 04:56 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Most likely that someone tried removing this in the past and
busted it up. I almost ruined mine getting it out. You need to
get a screwdriver right in there and pry on the stud to pull
them out. Pulling on the pressboard will break the piece.

Anyway, that's not your problem ... unless you need to remove
the new one later.

Later
Old 07-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

I'm just going to put some velcro up to support the middle. Those studs aren't holding up anything.

Brett
Old 07-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Packy76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had mine apart for an interior resto so I had removed the top chrome.. funny thing was one of the clips was gone on mine could'nt find a replacement either, just ended up putting in a one somewhat similar. I also modified my interior piece to accept a light,glad I did it adds a whole lot of light when its dark
Old 07-23-2005, 07:13 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Thank-you all

I had this part sitting here since 1998 after painting my car because I didn't want to mess around with that stainless peice.

Guess what's getting installed when I get home
Old 07-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Packy76
Ive had mine apart for an interior resto so I had removed the top chrome.. funny thing was one of the clips was gone on mine could'nt find a replacement either, just ended up putting in a one somewhat similar. I also modified my interior piece to accept a light,glad I did it adds a whole lot of light when its dark
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Brett

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing interior t-top center panel

Quick Reply: Replacing interior t-top center panel