Sponsored by:

Moral Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:45 PM
vette68
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Moral Dilemma

A few weeks ago I purchased a new 2005 Pontiac GTO. I couldn't be happier. The GTO is everything my Corvette isn't. Better handling, more comfortable (I'm 6' 4"), and of course, quicker. So my interest in the 'Vette has shifted. Problem is, like today, I had to run to the store. I stood outside, looked at both cars, and chose to take the GTO (I know, you feel real sorry for me...). The Corvette just doesn't have it anymore. I still love the Vette, since it was my first Vette and all. But with winter approaching, I'd like to be able to put the GTO in the garage and not have to pay to store the Vette. I've just been thinking, do I really need 2 sports cars? I could sell the Vette, buy a beater for the winter and drive the GTO 90% of the time.

The Vette is 100% paid for, so it's not a question about payments, I'm just wondering what you all think about selling the Vette? Would you if you were in the same situation? I obvoiusly haven't made up my mind yet, so I'm just wondering what you all think... And no, I'm not getting pressured by the wife. This is something I've been considering on my own.

Thanks for your responses...
Old 09-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are going to hate your self in a few years if you sale it
Old 09-03-2005, 02:06 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll hate selling the minuite you look in the garage and it ain't there. Get a bigger garage...lol. 10 years from now that GTO won't be worth squat. 10 years from now, that vette's value will only go up...
Old 09-03-2005, 02:11 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

It's not "just" a sports car - you can own a versatile driver and a 68 vette. It's a hobby. If you're not into it, sell it. Prices are high, maybe bubble high. cash out.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
You'll hate selling the minuite you look in the garage and it ain't there. Get a bigger garage...lol. 10 years from now that GTO won't be worth squat. 10 years from now, that vette's value will only go up...

Two years from now your GTO will be worth 1/2 of what you paid for it, 5 years more like 1/5th, the Vette is worth more every day. Keep em both and drive whichever one you feel like driving. Run to the store you picked the GTO, I bet cruise-to-the-beach or High School reunion you'd pick the Vette.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:54 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't do it....Vettes like yours are not easy to come by...I'm saying that cause you will miss it...and want another one...
Old 09-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Just don't park the GTO next to any Grand Prixs at the mall.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mako72
Just don't park the GTO next to any Grand Prixs at the mall.
or cavalier's j/k
Old 09-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Matt O
Racer

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Are you nuts?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:28 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

The GTO is a good little car. Nice engine, decent handling, very stealthy. The kind of car in which no one will notice you (a very good thing for high speed driving). It's not the type of car you need to garage. It will be fine in your driveway. Keep the Corvette. After the newness of the GTO wears off, you'll be grateful you still have the C3.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:34 PM
mongo6901
Instructor

Originally Posted by vette68
A few weeks ago I purchased a new 2005 Pontiac GTO. I couldn't be happier. The GTO is everything my Corvette isn't. Better handling, more comfortable (I'm 6' 4"), and of course, quicker. So my interest in the 'Vette has shifted. Problem is, like today, I had to run to the store. I stood outside, looked at both cars, and chose to take the GTO (I know, you feel real sorry for me...). The Corvette just doesn't have it anymore. I still love the Vette, since it was my first Vette and all. But with winter approaching, I'd like to be able to put the GTO in the garage and not have to pay to store the Vette. I've just been thinking, do I really need 2 sports cars? I could sell the Vette, buy a beater for the winter and drive the GTO 90% of the time.

The Vette is 100% paid for, so it's not a question about payments, I'm just wondering what you all think about selling the Vette? Would you if you were in the same situation? I obvoiusly haven't made up my mind yet, so I'm just wondering what you all think... And no, I'm not getting pressured by the wife. This is something I've been considering on my own.

Thanks for your responses...
I feel your pain. I am about to do the exact same thing.

Well...almost.

The Corvette will not be sold until spring. Better resale that way.

The GTO will sit outside one winter.

It just has to be.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:36 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcread
The GTO is a good little car. Nice engine, decent handling, very stealthy. The kind of car in which no one will notice you (a very good thing for high speed driving). It's not the type of car you need to garage. It will be fine in your driveway. Keep the Corvette. After the newness of the GTO wears off, you'll be grateful you still have the C3.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:40 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would dump the vette. My wife has a bonneville SSEI supercharged and it is fun to drive. Our older vets unless really helped are really not that great. The GTO will blow most of them off easily.
Get rid of the vet. I took my wife to look at the GTO's and she was upset that I wanted to take the SSEI away but I assured her the GTO was even faster.
Sell the vet.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:43 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Personally, I would consider the GTO to be a DD and I would drive it in the winter. The Vette is your summer toy. Keep both.

BTW, I go through the same thing sometimes. I hate abusing the Vette with around town stuff but when I have to go 20+ miles, I start thinking about the comfy ride and air con in my DD. BTW, my DD is a 2003 Avalanche with 4wd so it does just fine in the winter.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:44 PM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

...and when you get in the market to sell, I might be looking for a 68-72... need a BB car....

Dawg

Last edited by PortDawg; 09-03-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should like the GTO better than the Vette, you just got it! I mean what do you expect you just got a new toy!!! What will it be like a year from now or a few years? Just an old car.
Don't think of it as having 2 sports cars but 1 new car and one classic car, or antique is it? Your GTO is lacking big time in one aspect. It isn't 38 years old. Easily old enough to buy a drink.

Forget value of the thing. Too many people think these are investments and they aren't. Look at how much pure dollars make on any market or savings account. Much more than the appreciation of these cars. Besides that isn't why we buy them its just a nice side benefit.

I suggest losing some money for 1-2 years in storage. It isn't all that much when you come down to it. About a gas tank or so?
If you still feel the same way dump the Vette. If you sell it now you will wish you hadn't. Every single person I've met that used to own a vette has said they wished they still had it. It doesn't sound like your hurting for money so don't need the sale for a winter beater? Can lose a few bucks in storage?

Get notified of new replies

To Moral Dilemma

Old 09-03-2005, 06:09 PM
vette68
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
I would dump the vette. My wife has a bonneville SSEI supercharged and it is fun to drive. Our older vets unless really helped are really not that great. The GTO will blow most of them off easily.
Get rid of the vet. I took my wife to look at the GTO's and she was upset that I wanted to take the SSEI away but I assured her the GTO was even faster.
Sell the vet.
Norval-

Funny you should say that, because I traded in my 2000 SSEI for the GTO. The supercharged V6 just wasn't hacking it anymore... Need more speed. Definitely get that with the GTO. There's just no comparison between the GTO and the SSEI.

I was thinking about keeping the Vette for the winter anyway, just because I know I'd get more for it in the spring. I suppose I should at least wait until the new-ness of the GTO wears off before making any decisions. I could easily see myself being one of those guys 5 years from now that says, "I used to have a '68 Vette, but sold it for this stupid GTO." It's just right now I've lost interest in the Vette (never thought I'd hear myself say that...).

Anyhow I just wanted to see what kind of responses I'd get. Thanks for the responses so far....

Bill.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Put the vette aside, throw a cover on it and forget about it for awhile;enjoy your new toy!. Different cars do different things, you'll be glad you have it to hop into if you want.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Mllrvette1968
Advanced

When I was 12 I began to have a huge interest in old C3's. I would beg my father to buy an old beat up one for us to restore. He always said save your money and work hard, then we can. Well i'm 23 now, and I have my dream car. Through the years I put some money away since I was 12. I bought a 68 vette 427, which needs alot of work. I'm in the middle of restoring it without my father knowing about it yet. I want to get it in a good position so i can show him and then we can work on it together. My father was always a huge muscle car fan, owning them and working on them when he was my age, but he never had a vette (but always wanted one). So It should be a great surprise for him. What I guess i'm trying to say is, a corvette is not just something you give up and sell. It is a symbol of a true American Dream, not everyone could say they own one, but most can say I wish I did, it's my dream car.
About the GTO, my friend has one and for the first month or so it was clean and nice. Now it's a faded dream, it's not a vette. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car and a fast one at that. Good luck with the GTO but don't get rid of the vette.
Hope I didn't sound like I was preachin

Quick Reply: Moral Dilemma