C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the L48 a good engine? Comments please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The thread that will not die... How many times can it be revived!?
Old 02-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Roentgen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an awesome comment lucky76, sure made me laugh. I'm currently in that boat, now I have a strategy until I get this thing built.

Last edited by Roentgen; 02-14-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:14 AM
Artofgio
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Maggs
I have been looking for a Corvette. I found one in the local papers, it is a 76 Corvette with a 350 L48 engine and 4 speed manual. Guy says everything is stock. He wants $5500.

Here are my 2 questions. A 4 speed sounds like it should not be paired with a 350ci engine. Was this the standard back in the 70's vettes? I can't imagine how a 4 speed could handle a 350.

My second question, I did a search on the web and the only stat I found says the L48 makes 180HP. This sounds like a very low number.

How good is the L48 engine? Should I be looking for something else? I don't want to have some V6 honda beat me on the road, that would be humiliating. I am not looking to race, but I would like to know if I need to drop the hammer, the car will move.

Can the L48 be easily modified to produce extra HP?
Speaking from my personal buying experience: I got a 1980 L-48 350 3-spd auto for $8750 with 72000 original miles. This was after years of looking for cars below 12k that weren’t shitboxes. So what happened? No lie, I lucked out. I found the car in small town Kirksville, MO. I bought it from a guy who built race cars and just didn’t have the room or the time to deal with an old C3 he didn’t even drive anymore. I ended up replacing the 350, and throwing close to 20k in total at the car to get her where I wanted her. She still needs new wires and weatherstripping. I say I lucked out, and I did, because the frame and birdcage ended up being ~90% rust free. I never once thought to check the frame. Why? I let excitement get me into a more-money-than-brains mentality. Even with what I paid for the car, gas, and all the parts and labor, I haven’t even scratched the ***** of what it would have cost me if the frame was bad.

So with that said, the biggest issue you might face buying a C3 will have nothing to do with the drivetrain (I’d have done an LS swap if I didn’t already have a modern vette), but rather the frame and birdcage if you don’t know where to check. These cars had STEEL FRAMES, and they can be rusted out shitboxes after a few decades of being left out by negligent owners. The fiberglass body panels will never rust though, so unless you check the frame and birdcage, you’d never know whether or not you were signing up for a deal or a potentially deadly ripoff. I knew a guy who found a “once in a lifetime” deal on an SS camaro (I think 69 but not sure) and the frame broke on him while he was driving it. That car had metal body panels too, but those had been bondo’d really well and he was just so excited to see the low sticker that he didn’t think to check the frame. Young and stupid struck him hard, and if the frame had broken on driver side Im sure he’d have been toast.

TLDR: do your homework and CHECK THE FRAME AND BIRDCAGE!!!

You can always swap in an LS (better power and gas mileage) or a new carb’d crate motor with tranny for less than 10k if you find a good deal. Getting stuck with a bad frame means a frame-off resto job or worse: it can be so bad that, unless you found something rare and exceptional (like an L-88 car or something) you’d be better off just minimizing your losses and selling it for scrap. 30-50k for a professional, certifiable frame-off resto job? Not worth it on anything but a truly exceptional find. Just my 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
Likedemcurves (10-29-2020)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:19 PM
gsimon767
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Your link does not work. Website is not found. Please check as I am interested in your 4 speed statistics. I didn’t think ther is a breakout anywhere of close vs wide ratios

Originally Posted by Bri-Guy
Hey Mike, Here is a wesite that gave me the production figures for 75'.
http://www.idavette.net/facts/75.htm
Old 01-12-2023, 06:23 PM
grady white
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Okay, I'll speak in pretty general terms here. L82 4 speed cars are usually rarer and harder to find. Case in point, only about 1 in 9 1976 Vettes came with an L82 engine. Only 1 in 5 came with a 4 speed. Finding a 1976 L82 four speed that hasn't been abused is even rarer.

Yes, the L82 and L48 were pretty much dogs by todays standards, but keep in mind that you can change the rear gears to a lower ratio to give you a little more quickness.

I've owned 4 C4 cars or which 2 were L 48s and 1 was an L82. The other??? An '82 200hp crossfire.
you can’t go by today standard you have to go back to 76 .. that was decent hp back than ..
Old 01-12-2023, 07:39 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

[QUOTE=gsimon767;1606138121]Your link does not work. Website is not found. Please check as I am interested in your 4 speed statistics. I didn’t think ther is a breakout anywhere of close vs wide ratios

Hi, might not work because the post is over 12 years old, and that member's last activity was 12 years ago. This is a thread that won't die, as another member posted several years ago.

Quick Reply: Is the L48 a good engine? Comments please...