Sponsored by:

Loading onto a Flatbed Tow, where to hook

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Blue 74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loading onto a Flatbed Tow, where to hook

I'm not needing to at the moment. Keeping fingers crossed BUT.....if I ever have to be towed in I'm at a loss as to where the tow driver would hook to the Vette at. (It's a '74)

I'm sure I would only be willing to be towed on a flat bed but can't see anything that could be hooked to without tearing up some body part.
I've had motorcycles towed and for sure couldn't have counted on the tow driver to do it right without damage.

Where/what have you hooked to?????
Old 11-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I had mine towed from the drag strip once. Broke the rear. I wanted it on backwards so it would go into my garage forward. He hooked it to the smart struts right close to the diff. I did not care at this point if they bent. They dragged the car, rear was frozen, onto the truck. No bent struts and it was fine. On the front hook it to the frame or lower control arm. I have even seen it hooked to the sway bar but I would not recomend that. If the wheels are rolling it will not take much effort to get it onto the flat bed.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Blue 74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gordonm. I'll go out tomorrow and look at what you mention and be ready for it when it happens.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There should be anchor point holes in the frame
Old 11-07-2005, 09:15 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

yeah, you know those holes in the frame that look like they were just made to put a hook into them? DO NOT put a hook into them!! The typical tow truck hook can rip and bend those holes... would you like to see a pic? The next time the towtruck driver wrapped the chains around the front ... A arms, I think? near the wheels.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:29 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask the wrecker to bring 4 cloth web straps. They can go around the front lower a-arms and the shock mounts in the back...
Old 11-08-2005, 12:11 AM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PRNDL
yeah, you know those holes in the frame that look like they were just made to put a hook into them? DO NOT put a hook into them!! The typical tow truck hook can rip and bend those holes...
Apparently, some Bubba tow-truck driver hooked up my car in the past using the frame holes. I have two matching tears in my frame that look like a peeled open sardine can.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TonySinclair
Apparently, some Bubba tow-truck driver hooked up my car in the past using the frame holes. I have two matching tears in my frame that look like a peeled open sardine can.

mea culpa!! I told the guy to use them.... hey, isn't that what they are there for?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:46 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I too have had the A-arm straps, don't remember what happened on the back though... Do not use the sway bar!! Think of how small the bolts to the frame are. Rear struts are okay as long as the wrap stays right at the pivot point and doesn't slide.

I've tied countless dozens of cars down in trailers, always using ratchet straps. Either do 3 or 4 corners or two on the same side. Getting towed there's no reason not to use all 4. Some sideways angle is good to hold side to side. Some vertical angle is good to pull it down and help the tires grip. Never strap around brake lines or anything like that. If you're worried that something may bend, don't let him use it. You can always get straps around the tires if nothing else.

The tow truck operator won't want that much advice, but just so you know what to look for
Old 11-08-2005, 02:17 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default best tow

The best tow I ever had done was backwards. I've had the flat bed boys tow mine twice and a tow truck pull it once backwards and I will take the tow truck any day. Here is how he pulled the car backwards. The tow truck has a device that is hydraulic on the back that slides under your rear differential. Then it widens out to capture both rear wheels between two bars. Then you just lift the rear end off the ground, and throw some specially built ratchet straps around the tires to capture the rear wheels. The driver never once had to get under the car for anything. I was a little leery about it, but he towed my vette backwars twenty miles to the muffler shop for me and I had no nicks dents scratches or cracked anything. I also want to make mention of the fact that it took the flat bed driver forever to get my car up on the flat bed because I have ground effects on the front and he had to put blocks under the tires to keep from smashing it up. The air dam did not bother with the backwards tow because he did not have to raise it very high at all. The flat bed driver was nervous about hooking his chains up to the frame because there was no decent place to hook them. You don't have that problem with the backwards tow.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

People have claimed cracks happen due to the "backwards tow." Can anyone explain why it's different than driving on an incline?

-Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Loading onto a Flatbed Tow, where to hook

Quick Reply: Loading onto a Flatbed Tow, where to hook