Sponsored by:

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
ed1655
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust

i've had my '71 for about a year. i don't have a garage or lifts but so i've never been under it for any period of time. it's been at the shop twice for a new alternator and then a tune up. the car appears immaculate in every way. no one (meaning, mechanic) has ever said anything to me about finding any rust on it... however i never specifically asked them to look. should i worry? are there any common areas i would be able to see without getting the car up? again everything, including the engine bay, appear fully restored and immaculate. like new. but after being on the forum so much i'm starting to worry!!!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull the kick panels off to check in there. If there's a lot of rust in there chances are the birdcage around the windshield pillars and at the base corners could be rotted as well.
Check the frame kick ups in front of the rear tires. This is also a common rust area.
Glenn
Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Ed,
You can get a good idea about rusty areas by carefully looking around the windshield from the outside especially the lower corners, the lower hinge pillars by taking out the interior kick panels on each side, and then look in the windshield wiper well at the left and right sides.
The most common rust area on the frame is the whole 'kick-up' right in front of the rear wheels. There's a rectangular access panel in the wheel well there, also, that lets you get a look inside at the #3 body mount.
Good Luck!!!
Alan

GD70... You beat me to it while I was typing.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:18 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Ed,
You can get a good idea about rusty areas by carefully looking around the windshield from the outside especially the lower corners, the lower hinge pillars by taking out the interior kick panels on each side, and then look in the windshield wiper well at the left and right sides.
The most common rust area on the frame is the whole 'kick-up' right in front of the rear wheels. There's a rectangular access panel in the wheel well there, also, that lets you get a look inside at the #3 body mount.
Good Luck!!!
Alan

GD70... You beat me to it while I was typing.
Amazing! I chicken peck on the keyboard!
Glenn
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

GD70
I'm still perfecting my "1 finger speed typing system".
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Rust

Quick Reply: Rust