C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior panel cleaning recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Interior panel cleaning recommendations.

I'm starting to put the interior back in the vert and wondered what would you recommend to clean up some of the interior trim pieces? The majority of the interior is new but I'm reusing the interior header panel and side pieces, radio access panels and sun visors. The interior is black but the pieces I want to reuse are in good shape they just have kind of a grey chalky look to them, in other words 39 years of that lived in look!

I don't want to use Armor All or other products like that. Would something like Simple Green work to make them look blacker and be a better match to the new dash pad, seat covers, console covers and so on? I don't want the old panels to visually jump out in relation to the new pieces. Thanks in advance for tips and suggestions.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I've been using simple green to clean all my interior pieces. I works great and doesn't cause a problem when I spray on the new dye.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Lots of folks recommend Simple Green. I use solution of Dawn dish detergent and water (if vinyl interior), then rinse thoroughly and dry overnight. Buy a pint of S.E.M. vinyl dye at your nearest auto paint supply store [NOT local auto parts store]. You can order it to match your trim tag color; or you can take a part in and have them match its color. If you don't have sprayer stuff, also buy a Preval gas cannister/bottle sprayer kit and a couple extra gas cannisters. It's really easy to use and works great. Just do a covering coat on parts you want to re-color, let dry 20 minutes, then re-coat again. Dry overnight and they look like new. And DON'T put the petroleum protectants on your interior components again! Use a polymer sealant made for vinyl, like Nu-Vinyl, etc. They are easy to use, require no rubbing/buffing, and last a long time. When you want to, you can put new coat over the top of the old sealant (after you clean them, of course).
Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Yankees031
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

For the parts I did not replace and dyed, I just used some dish detergent and water. I then picked up the pieces with a towel dried them, then sprayed the dye on. Whatever you used dont let your hands touch the part after you wash it.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior panel cleaning recommendations.

Quick Reply: Interior panel cleaning recommendations.