Sponsored by:

Thinking ahead to summer

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking ahead to summer

Ill probably only have the funds to tackel one of the major jobs I hav left on the car this summer, after that its just little "here and theres". I was wondering what should be done first? I was either going to redo the suspention and coat all I could of the frame with POR-15, or replace valves, valve springs, push rods, cam, and rockers, as far as I can tell, nothing has been touched extensivly from the previous owners

What do you guys think?

(exaust has changed to sidepipes since the last picture was taken)

Miles
Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Not answer to your question, but, don't both options lead to that pit called "while I'm doing this I might as well..........
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Not answer to your question, but, don't both options lead to that pit called "while I'm doing this I might as well..........
Regards,
Alan
Yah , Allen is right, It looks like you need to do that expensive restoration route. You'll need to sell the house , kids, and all of lifes possessions to fill the money pit. Good Luck
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I think if the motor is running ok, I would do the suspension first. Only because of the safety factor. Those ball joints and tie rod ends are getting pretty old. It would give you a little extra piece of mind to have nice new ones in there when you are crusing around this summer.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do the engine, you will end up wanting a new HEI distributor, intake, maybe a carb.......

Or you could redo the suspension, then end up buying an entire rebuild kit, springs, swaybars, have the trailing arms rebuilt......

If money is a factor, follow the cheaper path of "while am at it's"
Old 02-16-2008, 12:13 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

Lose the Edelbrock sticker on the fan shroud. Seriously, if the suspension is totally shot and needs more than rust over paint, than do that for safety reasons so you dont lose the vette by wrapping it around a tree. But in the long run, after you've spent that money, the new engine will really put a smile on your face.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jeffery73
I think if the motor is running ok, I would do the suspension first. Only because of the safety factor. Those ball joints and tie rod ends are getting pretty old. It would give you a little extra piece of mind to have nice new ones in there when you are crusing around this summer.
good point, the engine is runnging fine, so Id better not screw anything up if its not borke (at this point in time)

now the question is where should I start looking for new suspention kits?

Miles
Old 02-18-2008, 05:10 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

If i was you, i would rebuild your suspension. Its always amazing to feel the difference in ride when you have al new bushings/shocks etc.

The front end is really more time than money. You could do what i did and buy a complete front suspension rebuild kit from Eckler's or any other Corvette Vendor. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that they come with the crappy chinese ball joints. You should replace those with some that wont wear out in 2,000 miles. (Like MOOG Ball joints)
Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 PM
randommj
Safety Car

This is what Ive found, the only diffrence is the one in the mid-america magazine I have has an "ultimate street kit" and its 799 and it some with ACDelco preformer gas shocks a heavy duty steel rear spring and adjustable urathane strut rods,

other than replaceing bushings too Id say it has everything

but could someone explane why the "ultimate package" is cheaper even when it has the gas shocks?

Miles
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Well you also have to consider if you want to keep your suspension stock or 'upgrade' to a better suspension in the front. For me the only option was to keep it stock because the difference was about $500, which i do not have
Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Id like to upgrade it a little, but anything that is in good shape thats stock, Ill still keep for later, even if its just to remember what it is so I can replace it

Miles
Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

All depends on the money that you have and or are willing to spend
Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this will come off sounding like your Dad, but if the car is running and driving well, why not save the money until you are finished school and working before you commit to these major tasks.

As many have stated, these two jobs can open the door to a lot of spending. If you start them now and run out of funds, the car is down for the summer.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eastltd
I know this will come off sounding like your Dad, but if the car is running and driving well, why not save the money until you are finished school and working before you commit to these major tasks.

As many have stated, these two jobs can open the door to a lot of spending. If you start them now and run out of funds, the car is down for the summer.
well Im not sure how old everything under there is, and they could be REALLY worn out, its just a pice of mind kind of thing

and it does need a rust resistand coat before things get too bad

Miles
Old 02-19-2008, 09:40 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually suspension, if you do all your own work, does not cost much.

As for school, get scholarships to pay for your school, and then your money you have you can put into the vette. Thats what i did
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Actually suspension, if you do all your own work, does not cost much.

As for school, get scholarships to pay for your school, and then your money you have you can put into the vette. Thats what i did
i would LOVE to do all of my own work! but I dont know alot when it comes to suspension, and my dad dosent have a lot of free time, I might have a friend that could help, thats a good idea to save me a bundle!

Miles
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

well if nothing else, disassemble the front suspension yourself, get a shop to press the bushings into place and then reassemble your self. Just do as much as you can before sending the work to others
Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffery73
If it's running well then do the suspension first.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by randommj
i would LOVE to do all of my own work! but I dont know alot when it comes to suspension, and my dad dosent have a lot of free time, I might have a friend that could help, thats a good idea to save me a bundle!

Miles
MIles

If you were my son I would advise you to get to know the local machine shop guys. They can help you with rebuilding your suspension. I never did suspension work before but last year I put in a VBP front system with lower A arms. This spring I will be doing the trailing arms, shafts, etc. in back and the upper A arms. When I run into a problem I just take it down to the local machine shop. Those guys have forgotten more about cars than I will ever know. They will even stop out to the house if I need them for a question or two. Car guys are some of the most generous people I have ever met. I'll bet there are some nearby that can be a great asset to you.

Pick your projects according to your budget, buy good tools, and ask around for assistance. It's certainly worth a try..........

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking ahead to summer

Quick Reply: Thinking ahead to summer