Sponsored by:

Cleaning carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 PM
brazky75
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning carpet

I have the seats out am redoing them so before I put them back in I thought I should clean the carpet its in good enough condition that it doesnt need replaced but needs cleaned some how. Do I use a cleaner that gets the carpet wet or do you use a dry base cleaner that you just vacuum out. Will this lighten the color of the carpet? Any suggestion on cleaning products?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM
wbulick76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best stuff I have found is called Tuff Stuff, and comes in a red and yellow aerosol can. Available most anywhere. Spray it on, it foams up, use a brush to work it in, then a damp rag to finish up. Let it dry and you are done. Doesn't get it very wet and it has removed some very bad stains for me.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

I don’t know if you want to go this far, but I pulled the carpet out and pressure washed it and was stunned how much better it looked. Since you already have the seats out you aren’t that far from pulling it in the front. I am assuming you don’t need to worry about the rear carpet. It’s just a thought, but you will be happy you did when finished.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:08 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Theiskell
I don’t know if you want to go this far, but I pulled the carpet out and pressure washed it and was stunned how much better it looked. Since you already have the seats out you aren’t that far from pulling it in the front. I am assuming you don’t need to worry about the rear carpet. It’s just a thought, but you will be happy you did when finished.
I have done the same thing to a 71 Mustang I owned and it worked very well. Could be a bit harsh if your carpet is worn, so be careful. My car had serious mouse odors and this made a huge difference. It was amazing how much filth came out. Generally I would say wetness should not be a problem if you use a wet shop vac to suck it all out and dry in the sun.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Where did you find a "serious" mouse?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Phat Cat
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Maybe he meant "moose"
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

It could have came from the "serious" radio
Old 02-17-2008, 09:40 PM
ENG40
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
They find you!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go rent a carpet cleaner. Get the upholstery attachment with it. Do the carpets in your home and then use the upholstery attachment to do your vette. I do mine at least once a year. There is just a ton of dirt that comes out of a vehicles carpets. Those foamy carpet cleaners in a can are OK to use as a pre-cleaner on any stains.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
ENG40
Racer

Originally Posted by couperdecar
Go rent a carpet cleaner. Get the upholstery attachment with it. Do the carpets in your home and then use the upholstery attachment to do your vette. I do mine at least once a year. There is just a ton of dirt that comes out of a vehicles carpets. Those foamy carpet cleaners in a can are OK to use as a pre-cleaner on any stains.
Tell the wife you are going to clean the carpets in the house and as long as you have the machine you will do the carpets in the car too.
Clean your carpets and score some points as well!

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning carpet

Quick Reply: Cleaning carpet