Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood release

Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default hood release

After reading all the horror stories about broken cables not allowing hood to release I wanted to add hidden release cable in wheel well or someplace around there but couldn't get it to work. Put cable from release point near firewall but could not get it to spring open hood pulling from behind wheel or from inside side vent. What am I doing wrong and what if the cable between the two latches on hood break? Would someone please explain how this could be set up, Thanks

Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
hdman1962
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:01 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by San Diego Ron
After reading all the horror stories about broken cables not allowing hood to release I wanted to add hidden release cable in wheel well or someplace around there but couldn't get it to work. Put cable from release point near firewall but could not get it to spring open hood pulling from behind wheel or from inside side vent. What am I doing wrong and what if the cable between the two latches on hood break? Would someone please explain how this could be set up, Thanks

Oddly enough , I was just working on my hood latches and cables this weekend and was concerned if it wasn't adjusted right when i closed the hood that i wouldn't be able to get the hood opened again , so i tied some heavy string to each of the latches and let them hang into the wheel wells at an angle so i could pull on them to open the latches. Didn't need them but it was some comforting insurance. It gave me the same idea to attach some small 1/16 inch cables, one on each side in a place where they were not real noticable , maybe running off of a small pulley back in the wheel well and let the cable hang down in the rear of the wheel well. That way if you ever needed them , just reach up in and pull the cable. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i used steel cable (1/16 or 3/32, can't remember) and ran it parallel to the existing hood release cable, put a loop in the end, and just taped it to the hood release handle. i drilled a 1/4" hole in the firewall so it comes out above the fuse box. used an old piece of rubber tubing as a grommet. it sticks out about 2" into the engine compartment and far enough inside past the fuse box so it won't cause a short.
jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
tnovot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
i used steel cable (1/16 or 3/32, can't remember) and ran it parallel to the existing hood release cable, put a loop in the end, and just taped it to the hood release handle. i drilled a 1/4" hole in the firewall so it comes out above the fuse box. used an old piece of rubber tubing as a grommet. it sticks out about 2" into the engine compartment and far enough inside past the fuse box so it won't cause a short.
jeff

I have also been having a concern lately similar to S D Ron's. This sounds like a pretty good idea - think I'll try this or something similar.
Terry

Get notified of new replies

To hood release

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hood release