Early chrome bumper Vette's with splitters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
wildchris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruthish
Dunno...can't see it!! LOL

This is the car I am talking about, but as I see it now, its not what I thought it was. More of a "spoiler" vs a "splitter".

Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
'71VetteRacer
Instructor

Yeah, it does seem like a roadkill collector, but when you're racing around up a mountain, that downforce actually does do a little! And it actually does help with the water temp with that air getting pushed into the engine bay....
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twin
road kill collector
Cow catcher
Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
69Sadi
6th Gear

Look, I'll be the first to admit that the yellow car looks ugly with that huge aluminum thing in the front but shouldn't we be considerate of his feelings? Lets just agree that it is a prime example of what not to do to a corvette but lets also respect his ambitions. Having said that...................................

Last edited by 69Sadi; 04-28-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
greg454
Burning Brakes

I believe a splitter is what the new nascar cars have, the horizontal piece on the bottom of the spoiler.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Some of these things look more like "spitters" to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:16 AM
mod81
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Some of these things look more like "spitters" to me.
Not trying to be a dick, but I dont get this joke?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Sadi
Look, I'll be the first to admit that the yellow car looks ugly with that huge aluminum thing in the front but shouldn't we be considerate of his feelings? Lets just agree that it is a prime example of what not to do to a corvette but lets also respect his ambitions. Having said that...................................
Here we go again...just how many ID's do you have?

As I said before...if it was good enough for this car.....

which IMHO is the best looking (and pretty good performing) C3 race car ever built, then its good enough for me.

I guess we all dont want to be like Rhino68, err I mean Sadistic, err whatever your frackin' name is this week, and go to autozone, or Pep Boys or FGregg and buy the simple stuff and never have a unique idea in our lives!
I guess the only thing custom made you ever bought is the the extra extra extra extra large Trojan you bought for your head!

Last edited by lvrpool32; 04-29-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
vettesbydesign
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....I just woke up to this!This is better than reality TV! I love you guys!
Nick....sending you a pm,my friend!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '71VetteRacer
Yeah, it does seem like a roadkill collector, but when you're racing around up a mountain, that downforce actually does do a little! And it actually does help with the water temp with that air getting pushed into the engine bay....
There was a great article about aerodynamics and handling in a Hot Rod magazine last year and it was discussed heavily on the Pro Touring forum. It went pretty in depth about the best ways to increase downforce and prevent front end lift. Though some of them where impractical for a daily driven car, such as blocking off all of the front grills, full length belly pans etc, some where easy to do and the difference is immediatley noticeable, things like overall height, a slight nose down stance, extending the bottom of the front spoiler under the car as far back as possible, rear splitter etc etc.
They went into some of the more extreme aerodynamic ideas, such as taping up body seems, removing side mirrors, all which did little in the wind tunnel.
Not that Lime Rock has huge straight aways, but it has some intricate sequences of corners and should give me an opportunity to see if the car feels firmer, more "planted" and if the air being directed into the front brakes keep's them from softening.
Work permitting I am hoping to get the "Glen" later in the year and see how the car does on a big track, especially with the coil overs in the rear.

Nick

Last edited by lvrpool32; 04-29-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettesbydesign
Wow....I just woke up to this!This is better than reality TV! I love you guys!
Nick....sending you a pm,my friend!
PM replied to sir.
Glad we can entertain everyone...next week I am auditioning for "Dancing with the stars"
Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, I can't believe some of you guys! Why do so many of you want to drive around in your boring, looks like every other shark on the street Vettes? I'm sure you feel special when you pull up to a NCRS event and park with the 16 other Vettes there with the same year and color code as your Vette. Oh wait, you have the optional bigger gas tank and 1,000 less miles then the guy beside you.....big difference obviously.

LVRPOOL32's Vette was built to replicate the same race cars that kept Vettes selling in the showrooms. If you can't respect the way it looks (which is awsome IMO) then you can at least be respectful enough to keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Don't let the bastards wear you down. They are one of the reasons you don't see my project on here.

Dave

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
Here we go again...just how many ID's do you have?

As I said before...if it was good enough for this car.....

which IMHO is the best looking (and pretty good performing) C3 race car ever built, then its good enough for me.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Nick,your 69 is one of my favorite vettes on here or anywhere period and a beautiful example of a C3 Racer and something you should be proud of.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:21 PM
wildchris
Instructor

Default wow

Way to defensive, if you like the way it looks thats your perogotive and your opinion. Everyone has there own thoughts and that is what makes this a forum. So on that note it may have a purpose, but in my opinion it looks like CHIT!

Last edited by wildchris; 04-29-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
ctk30
Pro

There was a great article about aerodynamics and handling in a Hot Rod magazine last year and it was discussed heavily on the Pro Touring forum. It went pretty in depth about the best ways to increase downforce and prevent front end lift. Though some of them where impractical for a daily driven car, such as blocking off all of the front grills, full length belly pans etc, some where easy to do and the difference is immediatley noticeable, things like overall height, a slight nose down stance, extending the bottom of the front spoiler under the car as far back as possible, rear splitter etc etc.
They went into some of the more extreme aerodynamic ideas, such as taping up body seems, removing side mirrors, all which did little in the wind tunnel.
Not that Lime Rock has huge straight aways, but it has some intricate sequences of corners and should give me an opportunity to see if the car feels firmer, more "planted" and if the air being directed into the front brakes keep's them from softening.
Work permitting I am hoping to get the "Glen" later in the year and see how the car does on a big track, especially with the coil overs in the rear.

Nick
Do you have a link to the thread
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
'71VetteRacer
Instructor

Wow.....I didn't think that I'd get this mutch heat out of a thread based on showing off, not arguing about custom versus factory perfect! I'm sorry that I even started this thread now as it seems that my simple idea to make my vette stand out a little from the others in the crowd, has been crushed and really makes me regret ever showing off my work.......

I am really sorry to though to have started such a stupid argument guys, forgive me?

Oh and BTW: you guys that have no imagination for what a classic car can be with improved look and performance are probably the same chaps who are against side-pipes, so maybe I'll just be stayin' away.....

Get notified of new replies

To Early chrome bumper Vette's with splitters

Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Lvrpool, I know I was the one to bring your car into this thread...and it was because I liked it

Even though I was wrong about the type of spoiler it had, I still think its cool.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wildchris
Way to defensive, if you like the way it looks thats your perogotive and your opinion. Everyone has there own thoughts and that is what makes this a forum. So on that note it may have a purpose, but in my opinion it looks like CHIT!
My comments are not defensive, my comments are based on a forum member taking digs at me and other forum members he feels "wronged" him.
This thread wasnt about my front spoiler, it was about splitters, and my Mother always told me that if I didnt have something nice to say, then shut my mouth!! But you go right ahead and improve your post count buddy as the spoiler aint going anywhere.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
waterplay
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nick

I like the way it looks! I plan on taking my car to the TRACK not drags so I could use something like that.
I also would like a link or more info.

Quick Reply: Early chrome bumper Vette's with splitters