i hate to be that guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 AM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
Flame away:

I am a degreed mechanical engineer, and have owned dozens of vehicles with internal combustion engines over the past 30 or so years.

MOTOR OIL IS MOTOR OIL

As long as you keep it cool and clean, the cheapest stuff (or even old stuff) will serve the sole purpose:lubrication.

Steve
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

" Motor oil is motor oil"

........No disrespect but I want every option and all the help I can get in my vehicle! A - Z I want it all!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I recently had an engine dynoed by a shop in St Louis that builds marine racing engines in the 1500 to 2000 HP range. I know these blown monsters are not exactly what we are driving but they have the same oiling concerns that we do. I asked for thier opinions on oils and they recommended Kendall or Mobil1. The problem with Kendall is it is getting really hard to find. Thier comment on the "new" Castrol was "junk". They commented on the Rotella also and while it may have the needed additives they had foaming issues with extended hi RPM run so they did not recommend that oil either.
A friend of mine also has considered motorcycle oil and has told me that he is going to run Honda race oil in his blown small block because they do have the buckets running on the cam and hold up well to high temp and high rpm.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

...jumping in late

I would say you didnt check the search very well. I've been using Valvoline 4-Stroke 10W40 motorcycle oil mixed with RP 10W30 for a while now. It has one of the highest zinc amounts.....
Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 PM
79_L82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a new guy as well and i have a cam in my c3. I could use help on this too i just need to know if i need the additive.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 PM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
Flame away:

I am a degreed mechanical engineer, and have owned dozens of vehicles with internal combustion engines over the past 30 or so years.

MOTOR OIL IS MOTOR OIL

As long as you keep it cool and clean, the cheapest stuff (or even old stuff) will serve the sole purpose:lubrication.

Steve
I kinda tend to agree with using the cheaper stuff and just changing it at reasonable intervals. Isn't it true that oil never wears out, it just gets contaminated?

I know people that use expensive oil in vehicles they will sell long before the engine wears out. Just throwing money away. I'm sure the oil companies like the margins on the high end oil though
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by gyopp
I recently had an engine dynoed by a shop in St Louis that builds marine racing engines in the 1500 to 2000 HP range. I know these blown monsters are not exactly what we are driving but they have the same oiling concerns that we do. I asked for thier opinions on oils and they recommended Kendall or Mobil1. The problem with Kendall is it is getting really hard to find. Thier comment on the "new" Castrol was "junk". They commented on the Rotella also and while it may have the needed additives they had foaming issues with extended hi RPM run so they did not recommend that oil either.
A friend of mine also has considered motorcycle oil and has told me that he is going to run Honda race oil in his blown small block because they do have the buckets running on the cam and hold up well to high temp and high rpm.

unless its the oil that honda uses on their motogp bikes, honda oil is absolute crap.

I own two Honda bikes. One is strictly street, the other is a dedicated full blown track bike so I frequent the Honda forums. An oil analysis of Honda oil generated the fact that after 1000 miles of street use it was completely shot.
The TBN was less than half the original number and the 10w40 weight had sheared to less than a 30 straight weight.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I will pass that along. He may want to rethink his oil selection.

Quick Reply: i hate to be that guy